sotos

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 04, 2010, 08:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgson

Thanks. Hoping to hear back from him.

Are there any recent pictures of Sotos apart from the Lionel Maunz signing?

MyrtleLake

My thoughts on the latest print run is that it was "what it needed to be" at the time--that being the logic. The book was listed for sale by the publishers for a month, which were all advanced orders. It never 'sold out' during that time. Thus, the publishers determined the print run by the advance sales.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: MyrtleLake on January 10, 2023, 08:18:53 PM
My thoughts on the latest print run is that it was "what it needed to be" at the time--that being the logic. The book was listed for sale by the publishers for a month, which were all advanced orders. It never 'sold out' during that time. Thus, the publishers determined the print run by the advance sales.

If my memory is correct, I think Best said that during the lead-up to preorders.

Dodgson

Guess I missed my chance. Unless anyone has a spare copy? No reply from Chip.

deakin

New Sotos book was just announced by Philip Best AS
Obviates
Define reality by using the vocabulary of those who need to sell you something, convince you that they deserve your lunch money, since they've figured out what everybody else, all of you like them, wants. Words are nonexistent, unreliable, insufficient. Hope is everything that doesn't stop. It hurts physically. Lets you mistake airy thoughts for wishes and needs. Puts you in place, makes you feel time. Sales is the real hole you push into with anything other than your cock. Until you decide to make the object even prettier. Prove all of them as wrong as you were before you were able to admit

It's Predicate & Show Adult plus extra stuff from Pete's archives.

Balor/SS1535

I am hoping for another pre-order this time around.

cantle

Quote from: deakin on May 16, 2023, 05:24:38 PM
Obviates
Define reality by using the vocabulary of those who need to sell you something, convince you that they deserve your lunch money, since they've figured out what everybody else, all of you like them, wants. Words are nonexistent, unreliable, insufficient. Hope is everything that doesn't stop. It hurts physically. Lets you mistake airy thoughts for wishes and needs. Puts you in place, makes you feel time. Sales is the real hole you push into with anything other than your cock. Until you decide to make the object even prettier. Prove all of them as wrong as you were before you were able to admit

so 2/3s of it is what we have already....

Balor/SS1535

Best said on Facebook that the preorder will be up in 4 weeks or so.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: cantle on May 18, 2023, 06:28:46 PM
Quote from: deakin on May 16, 2023, 05:24:38 PM
Obviates

so 2/3s of it is what we have already....

Not all of us, though!

Grimpin

Great news! For me at least, what with Show Adult being the only Sotos book I've never been able to get hold of. Here's hoping it's the original text and not some sort of newfangled mash-up with Predicate. And that Amphetamine Sulphate charge a reasonable price this time!

I recently ordered - it's on its way in the post - a book of photography/art by Frank Bauer, published in 2001. Which includes a text by Sotos. Almost no information about this out there. The Susan Lawly Whitehouse website announced at the time: "OCTOBER 24 2001. SOTOS 'FRANK B' TEXT. An extended new text by Peter Sotos is featured in the book of paintings by German artist Frank Bauer published by Galerie Voss. www.kunstmarkt.com or email vossgallery@t-online.de" I'll give an update, or even scan the Sotos piece, if anyone's interested, on receiving it.

cantle

Scans would be very welcome- thanks

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Grimpin on May 22, 2023, 01:57:39 PM
Great news! For me at least, what with Show Adult being the only Sotos book I've never been able to get hold of. Here's hoping it's the original text and not some sort of newfangled mash-up with Predicate. And that Amphetamine Sulphate charge a reasonable price this time!

I recently ordered - it's on its way in the post - a book of photography/art by Frank Bauer, published in 2001. Which includes a text by Sotos. Almost no information about this out there. The Susan Lawly Whitehouse website announced at the time: "OCTOBER 24 2001. SOTOS 'FRANK B' TEXT. An extended new text by Peter Sotos is featured in the book of paintings by German artist Frank Bauer published by Galerie Voss. www.kunstmarkt.com or email vossgallery@t-online.de" I'll give an update, or even scan the Sotos piece, if anyone's interested, on receiving it.

Is the book still available from the publisher, or did you get it secondhand?  (I would appreciate a scan as well, if it's not too much trouble!)

Grimpin

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on May 22, 2023, 06:50:30 PM
Is the book still available from the publisher, or did you get it secondhand?  (I would appreciate a scan as well, if it's not too much trouble!)

I ordered it second-hand from abebooks.co.uk from a German seller. Came to £30 inc. postage overall (maybe $35-40). Looks like you can order it direct from the publisher/gallery here: https://www.galerievoss.de/main/kataloge/kataloge_details.php?picdetail=1&kataloge_id=30&pic_id_s=125&pix=1&langs=deu&langs=eng. Being a German publication, there is a possibility they've translated Sotos' text into German though! I'll soon find out anyway.

theotherjohn

Weird, I've had a secondhand copy sitting in my Abebooks shopping cart for a while too, so you've given me the nudge to go ahead and buy it (unless it's a duplicate listing in error).

Last thing I got was the Mirror Me zine that Primary Information released in 2010 which is OOP from them but maybe still available elsewhere. It's printed on newspaper and the deadstock copy I have is already yellowed and frayed. Just a couple of newspaper collage scans from Sotos which I'm certain are in Ingratitude already. There's no contents or numbered pages, nor are any of the featured works/artists mentioned or named in the zine itself, so I really wouldn't go out of your way to get it. Fortunately, I ended up getting a full refund from the Amazon seller due to it taking so long to arrive.

https://primaryinformation.org/product/mirror-me/

Dodgson

Obviates is not on the Amphetamine website yet?