Boxsets you would like to happen?

Started by RyanWreck, May 26, 2012, 04:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johann

I would also like to see a Prick Decay box of everything, some of those tapes are so hard to find but that crudeness is unmatched

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Johann on April 22, 2020, 05:56:04 PM
A complete boxset of The Gerogerigegege would be amazing, over even a complete collection in a boxset of all the 7" similar to the Pica witcyst box...that stuff is not only rare but very expensive, I'm sure it'd bet gobbled up very fast

I second this!

muppet1

Quote from: New Forces on April 22, 2020, 06:06:44 PM
It's probably not too early to announce that I'm currently working on a large (or multiple) CD box set of Richard Ramirez's 1990's solo works, remastering from original master tapes where possible. Really excited to give these classics a high quality (and widely available) reissue.

Wow, this is great news!

Stipsi

North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Duncan

Quote from: Stipsi on April 24, 2020, 01:23:08 PM
Pain jerk 90s stuff.

Hard agree.  I've probably added that to this thread somewhere myself.  I'm not sure if it will happen because he appears to (understandably) be focused on his contemporary work.  However, he has recently started a bandcamp page where lots of unreleased things are showing up.  Here is something from 92 which sounds as though it could have been him cycling through various sounds, creating sources etc but great to hear.  The whole account is worth a look and will hopefully lead to him thinking about placing some older OOP stuff up there

https://painjerkwrackedandruined.bandcamp.com/album/salvage-work-1992

New Forces

Quote from: accidental on April 24, 2020, 12:47:51 PM
Quote from: New Forces on April 22, 2020, 06:06:44 PM
It's probably not too early to announce that I'm currently working on a large (or multiple) CD box set of Richard Ramirez's 1990's solo works, remastering from original master tapes where possible. Really excited to give these classics a high quality (and widely available) reissue.

I know of 66 solo releases in the 90s. 28 of them on Deadline/Dumb Art. What kind of "large CD box set" are you aiming for? Skin Crime-size? Any approximately number you could reveal?

It won't be a "complete" collection like the Skin Crime, something more curated due to some limitations - the number of releases and the availability of masters will keep the size much lower.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

Stipsi

Quote from: Duncan on April 24, 2020, 03:18:00 PM
Pain jerk 90s stuff.

Hard agree.  I've probably added that to this thread somewhere myself.  I'm not sure if it will happen because he appears to (understandably) be focused on his contemporary work.  However, he has recently started a bandcamp page where lots of unreleased things are showing up.  Here is something from 92 which sounds as though it could have been him cycling through various sounds, creating sources etc but great to hear.  The whole account is worth a look and will hopefully lead to him thinking about placing some older OOP stuff up there

Yeah.
Have checked out and bought everything immediately.
A lot of gems
Especially the live sets
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

cr

May be suggested before...: True Force / Pain Electronics - Tape Boxset with all releases

Duncan

Quote from: Stipsi on April 24, 2020, 04:54:37 PM
Pain jerk 90s stuff.

Yeah.
A lot of gems
Especially the live sets

As if by magic....

https://painjerkwrackedandruined.bandcamp.com/album/retrogress

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Duncan on April 26, 2020, 11:25:11 AM
Quote from: Stipsi on April 24, 2020, 04:54:37 PM
Pain jerk 90s stuff.

Yeah.
A lot of gems
Especially the live sets

As if by magic....

https://painjerkwrackedandruined.bandcamp.com/album/retrogress

CUM ALERT!
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

accidental

Personally not a big fan or consumer of box sets of previously released material. Exceptions do exist. It's often the consumer's equivalent to the "full discography" of the downloader or even worse. Often completely impersonal. And stripping an individual release from it's artwork and force as a singular release. Little effort and easy to click buy if you've got the money.

It's funny to see the number of ppl begging for box sets. Yet often plenty of material is available. Or possible to get if you look around. Have you bought those? Listened to what you already got?

The purpose behind a box (and reissues) could be many. These days it rarely seem to be to target a potential new younger audience. Or even make it easily available and affordable. The contrary could be Audio Dissection/IR recent output or the 3 Mania reissues. Opposite of that would be the horrendous reissues of Stupid is Stupid and Merzbow record (not box sets but reissues). Prices that exceeds originals. A complete slaughter of splitting pieces in order to get it wax. But good business, great for vinyl-only fools and Collectors with a capital C.

A box/reissue ofcourse goes beyond it's physical sales. Publicity and exposure. Downloads available i guess. That's where the significance is for my favorite target - the Come Org box. Not in it's physically released form.

Duncan

Quote from: accidental on April 30, 2020, 09:38:09 PM
Personally not a big fan or consumer of box sets of previously released material. Exceptions do exist. It's often the consumer's equivalent to the "full discography" of the downloader or even worse. Often completely impersonal. And stripping an individual release from it's artwork and force as a singular release. Little effort and easy to click buy if you've got the money.

It's funny to see the number of ppl begging for box sets. Yet often plenty of material is available. Or possible to get if you look around. Have you bought those? Listened to what you already got?

The purpose behind a box (and reissues) could be many. These days it rarely seem to be to target a potential new younger audience. Or even make it easily available and affordable. The contrary could be Audio Dissection/IR recent output or the 3 Mania reissues. Opposite of that would be the horrendous reissues of Stupid is Stupid and Merzbow record (not box sets but reissues). Prices that exceeds originals. A complete slaughter of splitting pieces in order to get it wax. But good business, great for vinyl-only fools and Collectors with a capital C.

A box/reissue ofcourse goes beyond it's physical sales. Publicity and exposure. Downloads available i guess. That's where the significance is for my favorite target - the Come Org box. Not in it's physically released form.

I think you're basically leveling most of this at VOD releases though, right?  And I agree.  Sheering up pre-existing things so they can pointlessly fit onto vinyl is absurd and best left to dumbo collectors who care more for possessions than what's inside.  But I'm looking right now at CD boxes by Mo*te, Witcyst, Autechre, Henry Cow, Reynols, Masonna and Fylkingen which were the cheapest, simplest way for me to gather all that material in one place and serve as pretty worthwhile collections of groups and projects that totally deserve a retrospective treatment.  Quite a few of these if not all were issued within the last 5-10 years, still easy to find and made up in most cases of totally unobtainable material, so I'm not sure about the point you make of not aiming these released at newer audiences.  Also, nearly all of them contain not only reproductions of the original artwork but lengthy texts and additional images from the archives of the group.  

It's cool to knock over the top fetish items that cost a month's rent and don't even look/sound that good but most box sets and the kind of which we lust over in this thread basically provide exactly the things you seem to be saying they don't?

ConcreteMascara

Not to totally sidetrack but to Duncan's comment on the Autechre box set from some years ago, I think it's a great example of a mixed bag. Great way to get a ton of quality audio, much of which is OOP, from the best electronic duo of all time, and the price was reasonable. Otherwise disappointing across the board. There's no artwork, which totally sucks as the old artwork was a key piece of the puzzle. The EPs are two or three to a disc. It's remastered which was totally unnecessary. Worst of all I EP7 was split over two discs and not even at the halfway point of that EP! It didn't matter that much to me because I had all of the material already so I didn't need to buy it, but I felt like it was a very lackluster way to introduce new fans to classic Autechre. At that point you might as well just download the EPs and skip the box all together because essentially youre just getting poorly presented CDs. To Accidental's point, best to just get those old CDs second hand as 90% are still very cheap. Maybe not as cheap as the box but you get so much more. I think the same can be applied to many noise and related box sets and reissues.

just look at the boxset vs some of the individual releases...

https://www.discogs.com/Autechre-EPS-1991-2002/release/5773839

https://www.discogs.com/Autechre-Anvil-Vapre/release/3894

https://www.discogs.com/Autechre-Envane/release/2504

https://www.discogs.com/Autechre-EP7/release/3570384
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Duncan

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 01, 2020, 04:47:18 AM
Not to totally sidetrack but to Duncan's comment on the Autechre box set from some years ago, I think it's a great example of a mixed bag. Great way to get a ton of quality audio, much of which is OOP, from the best electronic duo of all time, and the price was reasonable. Otherwise disappointing across the board. There's no artwork, which totally sucks as the old artwork was a key piece of the puzzle. The EPs are two or three to a disc. It's remastered which was totally unnecessary. Worst of all I EP7 was split over two discs and not even at the halfway point of that EP! It didn't matter that much to me because I had all of the material already so I didn't need to buy it, but I felt like it was a very lackluster way to introduce new fans to classic Autechre. At that point you might as well just download the EPs and skip the box all together because essentially youre just getting poorly presented CDs. To Accidental's point, best to just get those old CDs second hand as 90% are still very cheap. Maybe not as cheap as the box but you get so much more. I think the same can be applied to many noise and related box sets and reissues.

just look at the boxset vs some of the individual releases...

https://www.discogs.com/Autechre-EPS-1991-2002/release/5773839

https://www.discogs.com/Autechre-Anvil-Vapre/release/3894

https://www.discogs.com/Autechre-Envane/release/2504

https://www.discogs.com/Autechre-EP7/release/3570384

AE would probably be the one out of my list which is the most opportunistic and dumb.  Really I feel the best way to listen to their music (at least the newer stuff) is high quality digital download as this is certainly the best format for the long form works and so much of the basis of their practice is rooted so firmly in pure digital audio.  I got the CD box of the NTS sessions and was surprisingly gifted the LP box when I left an old job so am fortunate to have 2 versions, but I hardly ever use either compared to the digital files I got when preordering the CDs.  These boxes are definitely a case of 'if you issue it, they will buy' but A) at least they are well designed and B) that release was offered in multiple formats in the first place.  Can't speak for any reissues of older stuff but yeah, I can't imagine a situation where key releases of theirs are tough to track down on CD at all.

accidental

Quote from: Duncan on April 30, 2020, 10:15:40 PM
I think you're basically leveling most of this at VOD releases though, right?  

Consumers for their hunger for box sets and expensive reissues. And labels. Labels want and need to make money. But there's still room for what to release and how to do it. VOD seem like an easy target. I don't own anything by them and don't know much about it. I'd like the MZ box though, but can't afford it now.

So how should you release previously released material? Everything goes?

When leaving original art out and the individual title is one out of 10-20 other titles within the box. You could argue that the individual release just become one disc among many within the box. And therefore loose some individuality and power as a standalone singular release. The box is what's talked about and displayed more so than the individual release. The box is what you paid for. The historical importance and force of that standalone release gets slightly fuzzy.

Less of an easy target would be Hospital and let's choose the much celebrated Skin Crime box. I don't own it myself. But I do have several originals. It does not contain original artwork? Discs themselves seems to be packaged in some boring lookalike sleeves. Maybe original art is in that big booklet? I would have reversed that. Several releases within that box are considered US noise classics. Where as originally released the individual title, packaging and content are in symbiosis. Imagine a CD reissue set at €12. Keeping original art as far as possible. As AD/IR did with those three reissues before they caved in for the box. Those three were almost too good to be true. Maybe the splits became an issue?

But let me get back on track – Skin Crime. Instead we got a big ass box. Individual discs sleeved without original art. 300 copies, sold out quickly. What did they charge for it? I seem to recall it was over $110? Because it was out of my range at the time. Fair price for 20 discs. But an expensive one. Exclusively for those who could afford it.  Now the box is close to €200 on discogs. And likely not getting cheaper.

If you had done Burn in 300 copies, it might still be in stock. At least the price wouldn't be €200 used. And let's face it who actually needs and listen repeatedly to those last few discs? I'm guessing far less than half of the owners.

Many paths are available when doing a reissue. You can do it Ramirez-style, reissue a tape in 25 copies that was originally released in 20 copies. Haha. It will save you space. But at least from the perspective of a consumer, if re-doing something that's impossible-to-find/pricey, the purpose shouldn't be another big ass price tag and something that's available for two weeks, complete with a lot of fluff.

You could still find several of the Skin Crime releases fairly cheap at the time of release of the box. Maybe four titles were close to impossible and had a price tag. Some others were easy to find but you had to pay more than $15. But not much more than your fancy new random vinyl reissue. Those titles had been available for years at those prices! Obviously no one bought them. I miss that. The decoration of dust can be a beautiful one.