CONSUMER ELECTRONICS/SUTCLIFFE JUGEND/PETER SOTOS, 23.06.12, Copenhagen

Started by stadsgaard, May 12, 2012, 09:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stadsgaard

KNTN: CONSUMER ELECTRONICS/SUTCLIFFE JUGEND/PETER SOTOS
Mayhem / 23.6. / 20.30 / 50DKK

www.mayhemkbh.dk

Ernpe

I was visiting Copenhagen for other reasons when guys at Posh Isolation shop told me about this event. Having such names playing within merely few kilometren from my hostel, there wasn't much to hestitate.

Sutcliffe Jugend played for 20+ minutes with nice, arty background video. Mainly calm, ambient like material with occasional loud bass rumblings. Nice but not anything special.

Before CE, some local guy played short set, looping sounds of emptying air balloons. Consumer Electronics played as duo, loud, intense shouting over crispy and detailed noise. Not far from the Crowd Pleaser 12". Some nipple playing was included.

Peter Sotos played over an hour, set including video, spoken word, pure noise, more atmospheric parts, whatever - a great journey through different styles and moods, staying focused all the time. Best noise show I have seen? Very likely.

The soundsystem of the venue was superb: not only loud but also strong enough to carry all details from low bass to highest sounds.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

Ashley Choke

First "artsy" show was actually PB+Kevin from SJ(? can't remember), quite horrible if you ask me, cheap digital sampler sound and textured lo bit graphics

Second guy was not local but the Tour manager. did and almost exact replica of the show Antti O did when I saw him in Turku some months ago(prop without knowing, just goes to show the creativity levels in the experimental music scene these days) neither of the two shows did anything for me really.

It's very hard to argue about Philip Best's charisma and piercing voice. The underlaying cheapo iMac noise, the hipster sidekick and the overall quality of the show is not IMO, CE nowadays seems like a continuation of PB's work in Whiteouse and his most recent solo records. As fantastic as the old records and he's ability as a perfomer is, as dull and pointless this end up feeling for me.

Peter Sotos did a read at the start of the SJ show, I never really cared much for his writing but his (Short) perfomance was the absolute highlight of the evening. Delivered extremely sincere and dedicated, Sotos felt like the real deal and a lot less jaded/cocky than the rest of the performers. Afterwards followed 40 or so minutes of blury direction-less digi noise and grown men screaming about the same things they did as teenagers.

All in all another dull and meaningless display of old men trying to reinvent themselves. Glad I didn't go to London to experince the complete display of the Kaos Pad timeline. To date the only oldtimer (Rodger Stella's brain dead Mayhem show excluded) I've seen truly bring something honest and proper to the table is Con-Dom. May he continue to do so for many more years to come and may the rest of these old fucks......do whatever they feel like.

Ernpe

So, I really need new eyeglasses.

The Kaos Pad was indeed a aesthetic failure but IMO it did not dominate the sound too much. Quite funny you name Con-Dom as the only good of the oldtimers, as in Finland he played material in vein of his album 20 years back. (it was, however, a great show also)
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

Ashley Choke

Think I spotted four or five different incantations of the dreaded Kaos Pad, it really coloured the sound especially of the SJ set IMO.

I didn't state that Con-Dom necessarily was bringing anything new to the table, just that what he's doing nowadays feels more convincing, sincere and relavant than what else I've seen.

ARKHE

Quote from: KHH on June 27, 2012, 11:15:31 AM
All in all another dull and meaningless display of old men trying to reinvent themselves. Glad I didn't go to London to experince the complete display of the Kaos Pad timeline. To date the only oldtimer (Rodger Stella's brain dead Mayhem show excluded) I've seen truly bring something honest and proper to the table is Con-Dom. May he continue to do so for many more years to come and may the rest of these old fucks......do whatever they feel like.

Sounds like a good idea to get sick like a dog and stay at home pissed that I couldn't make it across the bridge then!