Atrax Morgue/Marco Corbelli Appreciation

Started by Reprobate, March 16, 2012, 09:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jadderly

Interesting discussion going here (I know this is an old thread). Definitely one of the projects I've tried to get into a couple of times but never could for some reason. I used to have the Woundfucker CD years ago which I bought based on a catalog description and I remember being very disappointed when I put it on.

Recently I checked out some of the tracks from a few of the releases mentioned here and they sounded much better. I'd like to hear some more stuff from his late 90s/early 2000s period and figure out what's worth buying. I noticed that Urashima has been reissuing some stuff by him on vinyl, but those look like stuff from the early 90s. Any thoughts on those?

Baglady

Quote from: jadderly on February 23, 2014, 05:00:54 AM
I noticed that Urashima has been reissuing some stuff by him on vinyl, but those look like stuff from the early 90s. Any thoughts on those?

I don't have all of them, but I'd say you can't go wrong with "Esthetik of a Corpse" and "In search of Death". Great albums!  I also have "Exterminate" and "Black Slaughter" but I find them a bit boring. I'm sure opinions on early AM vary a great deal though..

ANDROPHILIA

I don't think there are less important releases from Atrax Morgue
IN SEARCH OF DEATH and ESTHETIK OF A CORPSE are foundamental

personally i love so much
PARANOIA very sick release

NECROPHILIAC EXPERIENCE and NECROSINTESI are in split with LUNUS
deep tunes of death very close to death ambient
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

krueleco

I like

Sickness report for sound and recording quality
Closed exit is really different (with some "melodies" and a sort of twisted sing). If you listen to it at a high volume you can also listen to his home phone rings)
No more (minimalistic and oppressive)
Negative frequencies

Don't like too much
Cut my throath

Anyway it is interesting to listen to his musical evolutions through years

jadderly

I ended up buying Paranoia, it seemed to be mentioned here a few times, plus it wasn't difficult to track down. So much of his catalog seems to be out of print. I guess limited reissues are nice, but I'd love to see a bandcamp site or other type of online archive where one could purchase anything he's done at a reasonable price in lossless format.

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

Mikerdeath

ANDROPHILIA

Quote from: Mikerdeath on March 19, 2014, 03:33:06 AM

I'd rather not see that happen.

absolutely

anyway i think over time will surely reprinted the catalog.
Old Europa cafè have reprinted Pathophysiology and Paranoia, two historical releases of the same Label
and Urashima have reprinted Exterminate, I Vizi Morbosi Di Una Giovane Infermiera ,Esthetik Of A Corpse, in search of death, black slaughter in vinyl version.
so i think it's possible to be optimistic about reprints of long time out of prints
-ANDROPHILIA
-LIM DUL

"Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture" 
(L.Cohen)

Zeno Marx

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on March 19, 2014, 03:20:57 AM
Sadly, I doubt that would happen.
+1

It's working smart.  Respect to that.  There's no need to cripple labels with these huge backcatalogs.  Create substantial, all-encompassing libraries online.  Charge a small fee.  Send all proceeds to the family, or whoever should appropriately receive royalties.  Thinking of Muslimgauze here, too.  eliminate the middlemen.  Provide a direct relationship between artist (or surviving family) and audience.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

birthdeath

I've been obsessed with AM lately. My favorite is probably Slush of a Maniac followed very closely by Mechanic Asphyxia and New York Ripper.

Is there any other artists that's as creepy and demented as him but maybe with some more interesting rhythms or whatever? I feel like typically it's usually just a drone in one track, but his vocals make up for it. I dunno, I guess what I really want is Sickness Report, but with vocals, maybe a lil noisier

tiny_tove

do you have his morder machine side project?
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

AWWFN

Quote from: Zeno Marx on March 20, 2014, 02:48:47 AM
Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on March 19, 2014, 03:20:57 AM
Sadly, I doubt that would happen.
+1

It's working smart.  Respect to that.  There's no need to cripple labels with these huge backcatalogs.  Create substantial, all-encompassing libraries online.  Charge a small fee.  Send all proceeds to the family, or whoever should appropriately receive royalties.  Thinking of Muslimgauze here, too.  eliminate the middlemen.  Provide a direct relationship between artist (or surviving family) and audience.
100% agree with this. Unfortunately in the underground these days everyone wants their slice of the pie and the kudos of getting something out by a "name". Which is a shame.

a_2_g_2

Been listening to tons of AM lately. His very early work such as "In Search of Death", "Black Slaughter" and "Collection In Formaldeide" could sound a bit tedious, but I found myself coming back to those releases out of pure appreciation for their simplicity. I think I've even discovered a greater appreciation for drone music as well. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with any release after "Slush of a Maniac". There are some good releases before, but definitely some releases that I couldn't get into. I basically liked anything released after 1997. The harsh drones and more vocal usage that make up his 2000s work really define his catalog imo.

Quote from: tiny_tove on February 17, 2015, 10:13:29 AM
do you have his morder machine side project?
I was looking to buy "Happybirthdeath" on discogs, but its $100. I really wanted to listen to it, so I settled with some mp3s I found online I got "Deathshow" while I was at it. Not sure if you'd be interested..

deadprint

Quote from: locustfurnace on May 13, 2013, 02:41:11 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on May 10, 2013, 08:00:17 PMLooking at the entire discography for Slaughter Productions- it's damned impressive! Anyone here have a complete or near complete collection?

At one time i had a near (minus 2 or 3) complete catalog of 1 - 100....alas most have found new homes...

I'm not sure how I ended up in contact with Marco in the mid-90's, possibly via a relapse catalog, MSNP or CMI but I used to get a package every few weeks off him, was through him I first heard SLOGUN, DEATHPILE, TAINT etc...CMI was too dark ambient for my likings and I'd got one too many albums I didnt like but fell for the descriptions (back before mp3s...) where as Slaughter Prod catered more towards my tastes....I remember he used to always throw in a photo or two of himself in drag, in nurses outfits, on a slab (kitchen table?) looking all corpsey...you'd miss the old days of letter wrting before email took over...

I regret selling the "Deadbag" 7xCS boxset a few years ago, but I was offered good money and well had bills to pay....not to gone on his instrumental work but I'm like that with all music, I need vocals...It's hard to pick a favourite from such a vast catalog but when he delievered he delievered....

Awesome, those photos sound super cool.  Shame he never did anything similar for cover art or something, I think that would've been a great aesthetic with a release such as Cut My Throat.   

sick

New York Ripper is one of my favorite albums
Shit like Sickness Report and Pathophysiology dont interest me
Just kinda sounds like fuckin around with a synth and arent as insane as his other shit

195 Melrose Ave is great and a lot different(more harsh/feedback sounds) than the usual material. another favorite

Homicidal/Mechanic Asphyxia is another favorite of mine its got some great hits. lyrically hes the most depraved on this

Death orgasm, Slush of a Maniac, and Paranoia are alright. this era of albums i find are cool
to listen to single
songs but it gets to repetitive over the course of album