What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

host body

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 28, 2022, 06:39:46 PM
Confessions of a Mask by Yukio Mishima

edgelord patron saint, hah. nah just kidding, he was a great writer.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: host body on April 28, 2022, 07:32:05 PM

Haha--I think I like this one the best of what I have read by him.  I still have not made it to "Sun and Steel"... yet...

host body

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on April 29, 2022, 03:59:48 AM
Quote from: host body on April 28, 2022, 07:32:05 PM

Haha--I think I like this one the best of what I have read by him.  I still have not made it to "Sun and Steel"... yet...

he wasn't a nobel winner for nothing. brilliant writer and an equally fascinating character.

theotherjohn

He didn't win a Nobel Prize.

host body

Quote from: theotherjohn on April 29, 2022, 02:35:22 PM
He didn't win a Nobel Prize.

right, only on the shortlist for one. my mistake.

cr

Reading Spaniels by Jukka Siikala and listening to Sadistic Bliss I & II CD. Fits well together.

Not worth a topic on it's own, but do you also read books sometimes, which were somehow 'enhanced' by the sounds you listened to while reading?
Do you like reading and listening to music at the same time at all?
I myself don't do it very often. I prefer to immerse in a book or in the noise. Everything else is mostly distracting one thing from the other. Sorry for bad English description
But sometimes it just fits well and enhances the experience of reading or listening, if you're in the right mood.

cr

It's definitely easier to scroll through some art book, while listening, than to read some kind of story, esp. when it's not in your mother tongue. As said, I somehow like both, when it 'enhances' the expierience. And blahblah...

MHK

Quote from: cr on April 30, 2022, 05:25:58 PM

No, I keep them separate always. But sometimes (not too often) I like to put on music as a background sound for reading to fill silence or drown some unwanted sounds. I was just reading Kurt Vonnegut's Timequake the other day with Secret Apex in the background and they went well together. Mind, Secret Apex is detailed and rewarding deep listening stuff, but it works to me this way as well.

Johann

It depends largely on the goal, my mood, and what's happening around me. Sometimes when my neighborhood is very loud I'll put on an album I'm very familiar with (something ambient, maybe, or with not a ton of movements) at a low volume to kinda add noise to my space that's comparatively less disruptive...I'll also put on like foreign language sports (like low action sports) to create ambient banter...sometimes I'll do the same when listening to just have something else happening, I'm not great purest since I don't do headphones normally so I figure my listening experience is always going to be slightly different.

Verkhaner

Reading Spaniels by Jukka Siikala and listening to Sadistic Bliss I & II CD. Fits well together.

Not worth a topic on it's own, but do you also read books sometimes, which were somehow 'enhanced' by the sounds you listened to while reading?
I myself don't do it very often. I prefer to immerse in a book or in the noise. Everything else is mostly distracting one thing from the other. Sorry for bad English description
But sometimes it just fits well and enhances the experience of reading or listening, if you're in the right mood.

Vomir and Thomas Bernhard - a match made in heaven! Both rely heavily on repetition and a sense of nothingness that offers plenty of variation and complexity once you have really established a connection. Probably anything driven by shrill 80ies PE type feedback also goes well with smut literature heh.

Atrophist

Typically not. Practically never when reading fiction, sometimes when reading non-fiction.

I like reading biographies of musicians, bands, composers etc. I've tried listening to the artist's music at the same time, and even that feels a bit awkward.

Anyway, I'm currently reading A Sunken Land Begins To Rise Again by M. John Harrison. I have a difficult relationship with this writer. I love the way he writes, but not so much what he writes. This one has the standard themes of psychogeography, a sort of unseen reality lurking beneath the surface, and the vagueness of memory and identity. This combined with a storyline of green half-human, half-fish fetuses appearing in toilet bowls all over England, for some reason. I'll keep reading stop see what, if anything, Harrison does with the story.

AdamLehrerImageMaker

I'm reading:

I just re-read an ass load of Artaud for a podcast appearance I had to do, https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/artauds-body-without-organs-with-adam-lehrer/id1551596773?i=1000570088759

Also, Otessa Mosfegh's Lapvona. I am shocked by how good she is, given how thoroughly she's been absorbed into the otherwise dismal New Yorker-backed mainstream of the literary industry. Her writing is repulsive at times and deeply weird, and likely wouldn't get published by the companies that back her had they been written by a white guy. More power to her though, I always like when something real sneaks into the mainstream.

Other recent things:
Peter Handke's A Sorrow Beyond Dreams
Buddy Giovani's Life in Cracktown (spectacular trash filmmaker and writer, did this work as both a series of short stories and an equally interesting film)
Randall Phillip's Extermination Zone
art criticism by Bart Cassiman

Atrophist

Quote from: AdamLehrerImageMaker on July 27, 2022, 08:39:58 PM

Also, Otessa Mosfegh's Lapvona. I am shocked by how good she is, given how thoroughly she's been absorbed into the otherwise dismal New Yorker-backed mainstream of the literary industry. Her writing is repulsive at times and deeply weird, and likely wouldn't get published by the companies that back her had they been written by a white guy. More power to her though, I always like when something real sneaks into the mainstream.

I absolutely love her writing. Wasn't even aware that she had a new novel out. I wonder if the film adaptation of My Year of Rest and Relaxation is still in the works. Not that I'm expecting much.

Balor/SS1535

I am currently finishing up de Sade's The 120 Days of Sodom, and am enjoying every page.

AdamLehrerImageMaker

It sounds like that project has been shelved for the moment, but she's co-adapting Eileen with her husband for a film that will be directed by William Olroyd, who directed one feature: the spectacularly erotic and Hitchcockian Lady Macbeth (no direct connection to Shakespeare, just an exploration of the Lady Macbeth archetype of cold cruel calculating bitch)

Quote from: Atrophist on July 27, 2022, 10:36:28 PM
Quote from: AdamLehrerImageMaker on July 27, 2022, 08:39:58 PM

I absolutely love her writing. Wasn't even aware that she had a new novel out. I wonder if the film adaptation of My Year of Rest and Relaxation is still in the works. Not that I'm expecting much.