What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theworldisawarfilm

Cracking into Blood Meridian after years of people telling me to check out Cormac McCarthy. Nigh 100 pages in and finding it to be thoroughly good shit.

Eigen Bast

Reading T.E.D. Klein's "The Ceremonies". Killer horror in the vein of Stephen King. Slow burn Lovecraftian rural Jersey Children of the Corn vibes homaging a lot of obscure horror authors-Arthur Machen actually fills a role in the plot.

Downard's "Carnivals of Life and Death" on the docket, paranoiac coming of age by the guy who wrote King/Kill 33.

holy ghost

Junky - it was.... okay. I didn't love it. Interesting book for sure and I'll perhaps go re-read Naked Lunch but didn't blow me away.

Bourne & The Strange Bird - I loved both of these. Especially Bourne. I really liked the Southern Reach trilogy but these were just excellent. Dead Astronauts in my to-read pile.

Blood of Elves - these Witcher books are okay, definitely a fun cottage read but not a whole lot of substance. I am planning to keep going with them, I have read The Last Wish recently and need to backtrack for Sword of Destiny.

High Rise, Crash & The Best Short Fiction of J. G. Ballard. I read these when I was younger but gave them a re-read. Really enjoyed both, especially High Rise. Just started Concrete Island as well as casually reading a book of interviews.

absurdexposition

Quote from: holy ghost on May 18, 2020, 07:06:37 PM
Junky - it was.... okay. I didn't love it. Interesting book for sure and I'll perhaps go re-read Naked Lunch but didn't blow me away.

Next on my Burroughs list whenever I get around to obtaining a copy. Naked Lunch is a dense and wild ride.

Last night I started Inverted World by Christopher Priest. Too early to comment on it, but intriguing sci-fi so far.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

AnonMessAgeSage

Looking for something new to dive-deep into these days. It is hard to find truly transgressive material these days, and I often find myself easily bored.

I read an eclectic mix of occult, history, economics and finance, psychology, and philosophy.
If anyone happens to know something truly obscure and original in any of these fields, I would greatly appreciate the suggestion.

I am looking for inspiration to create new things with.

Eigen Bast

Christopher Gray - The Acid Diaries

Reading this on the recommendation of Erik Davis. Cover art is truly awful and the subtitle is dumb, but the book itself is very good. Older dude starts to take acid again in his 60s after his life collapses. The book is a diary of his trips and self reflections. Goes head on into mortality in meaning in a very honest way.

eraciator

Quote from: Eigen Bast on June 10, 2020, 12:41:13 AM
Christopher Gray - The Acid Diaries

Reading this on the recommendation of Erik Davis. Cover art is truly awful and the subtitle is dumb, but the book itself is very good. Older dude starts to take acid again in his 60s after his life collapses. The book is a diary of his trips and self reflections. Goes head on into mortality in meaning in a very honest way.

Member of the Situationist International also.

eraciator

I am reading the Andrea Dworkin anthology Last Days At Hot Slit that Semiotext put out recently. It's good.

AnonMessAgeSage

Quote from: theotherjohn on June 08, 2020, 11:37:53 PM
Nassim Nicholas Taleb released a new book a few months ago which potentially ticks all your boxes: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2001/2001.10488.pdf
Thank you for your suggestion.
I shall check it out.

aububs

lol what the fuck is that fat tails book

looking at any random page feels like drowning in syrup

aububs

i mostly just do crosswords and sudokus (or watch movies) when i should be reading but i've been going through john olson's Life is a Rip Off and downloading everything i can off blogs and whatnot, and also been checking out a similarly formatted book about library music called Unusual Sounds and doing the same

i did just start vernor vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep which i'm enjoying. was recently a bit disappointed by the Broken Earth trilogy even if i appreciated it's themes and the general metaphor. and i have Dhalgren eyeballing me from the shelf. i also want to re-read hilary mantel's first two cromwell books before starting the third one because i've sort of forgotten them tbh

the last book that blew my socks off was Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming. the last book i hated was murakami's Norwegian Wood...my first and probably last murakami...just really dull

Balor/SS1535

I just started:

-Discipline and Punish by Foucault
-Life for Sale by Yukio Mishima

FatalMorgana

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 11, 2020, 10:59:50 PM
I just started:

"Discipline and Punish" is a very interesting book. Among other things, I find fascinating his reflection on the concept of panopticon. Foucault is a great writer.

Now I'm reading "The Kindly Ones" by Jonathan Littell.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: FatalMorgana on June 18, 2020, 09:33:01 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on June 11, 2020, 10:59:50 PM
I just started:

"Discipline and Punish" is a very interesting book. Among other things, I find fascinating his reflection on the concept of panopticon. Foucault is a great writer.

Now I'm reading "The Kindly Ones" by Jonathan Littell.

It's my first time reading Foucault, and it is certainly interesting.  Easier to read/understand than Heidegger!  I am realizing that he's not my favorite philosopher, but still important to understand.

holy ghost

Started The Terror by Dan Simmons. Had it on the shelf forever and been meaning to read it. I really enjoyed Hyperion but his writing style has definitely evolved. Quite dense, I'm about 100 pages in so far and he's great at building up tension. Kind of Lovecraft-ish in a lot of ways. Into it.