What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

Started Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer and holy shit I have missed out by not getting into this guy sooner! Loving this book so far.

Eigen Bast

Animalia by Jean Baptiste Del Amo. Remarkable book-brutally detailed narrative following a family pig farm from the 1890s, through WW1, jumping forward into the 1980s where it has become a full on industrial farm. Vivid imagery of slaughter, WW1 surgical reconstruction, animal husbandry, mutilation and desecration...we follow characters through life and into death, following the progression of putrefaction of their corpse while the living linger. Imagery is sure to serve as an inspiration.

holy ghost

It's been long enough that I've seen those Lord of the Rings movies and I can re-read LOTR without thinking of Elijah Wood and that awful Sam Gamgee. I'm halfway through Fellowship now and loving it. Last time I read it was probably 10 years ago.

cr

Are there any good books about Runes? I mean not the esoteric Hokus Pokus - Runes - your way to female empowerment or whatever type of books. Can't describe it any better, but I think y'all know what I mean.
Thanks!

eraciator

Quote from: cr on July 14, 2019, 12:23:54 PM
Are there any good books about Runes? I mean not the esoteric Hokus Pokus - Runes - your way to female empowerment or whatever type of books. Can't describe it any better, but I think y'all know what I mean.
Thanks!

Jan Fries - Helrunar
Freya Aswynn - Leaves of Yggdrasil
Edred Thorsen - Futhark

Were the standard ones in the 90s.

Also worth reading The Edda to get an idea of the deities and culture and general awesome crazy shit that this area stems from.

I would also recommend "Gods Of The Blood" by Mattias Gardell on the history of some of the shitter exponents of this stuff. But I accept that won't be to everyone's taste on this forum.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: holy ghost on June 07, 2019, 02:33:09 PM
Started Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer and holy shit I have missed out by not getting into this guy sooner! Loving this book so far.

I actually just finished this book a week or so ago.  I had never heard of him before reading it.  I really enjoyed it (though I like his follow-up collection, Grimscribe, a bit more (I would highly recommend it).  I also just purchased his nonfiction book The Conspiracy Against the Human Race, and look forward to reading it.

Right now I am reading Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore, and the Discorses of Epictetus.

vomitgore

Quote from: eraciator on July 14, 2019, 03:56:08 PM
Thanks!

Jan Fries - Helrunar
Edred Thorsen - Futhark

+

Thomas Karlsson - Uthark

cr

Quote from: vomitgore on July 22, 2019, 09:48:18 PM
Quote from: eraciator on July 14, 2019, 03:56:08 PM
Thanks!

Jan Fries - Helrunar
Edred Thorsen - Futhark

+

Thomas Karlsson - Uthark

Thanks all. Will try to get most of them. Only had the Leaves of Yggdrasil book before.

Frataxin

Finished The Monk (1796) by Matthew Lewis, it stood out to me for several reasons, figured it was worth mentioning.

A Gothic novel from the end of the 18th century, usurped by classics of the genre like Dracula and Frankenstein, but entirely unique and surprisingly depraved for the time period. Everything from murder, rape, incest, Satanism, and necrophilia...Lewis was certainly a sick fuck, for the time period at least.

A real stand-out for me in the cannon of Gothic literature, definitely worth a read.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Frataxin on August 03, 2019, 07:24:54 PM
Finished The Monk (1796) by Matthew Lewis, it stood out to me for several reasons, figured it was worth mentioning.

A Gothic novel from the end of the 18th century, usurped by classics of the genre like Dracula and Frankenstein, but entirely unique and surprisingly depraved for the time period. Everything from murder, rape, incest, Satanism, and necrophilia...Lewis was certainly a sick fuck, for the time period at least.

A real stand-out for me in the cannon of Gothic literature, definitely worth a read.

Though I am not too big a fan of Gothic literature, I had really wanted to read this one ever since Amazon sent it to me on my recommended list.  I will definitely have to make a point of reading it.

PuddysJacket

Mountainhead...i read The Consumer 20ish yrs ago and in the back of my head, was always kinda expecting to stumble into another writer inspired by it.

Oddly enough, the Dennis Cooper blurb on the back of The Consumer is what led me to Cooper's work, and Cooper's blog is what led me to Mountainhead...which feels like the narrator from one of Gira's stories has just grown older, more cerebral, more philosophical.

Some of the best writing I've sat with in a while.

absurdexposition

Quote from: PuddysJacket on September 05, 2019, 07:24:40 PM
Mountainhead...

Some of the best writing I've sat with in a while.

Definitely one of my favourites of the past few years. I read his latest, Bosun, last week - it's another beast entirely but equally as enjoyable. His first title for Amphetamine Sulphate was also good, looking forward to the next in the coming months.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

RyanWreck

Quote from: Frataxin on August 03, 2019, 07:24:54 PM

One of my favorite books ever, have read it a handful of times through-out my life. Have you read "Melmoth, The Wanderer"? If you enjoy Lewis' work you would certainly enjoy ol' Melmoth.

As for what I am currently reading, the "The Best of Skate Fate" Zine collection. Just an old skateboarding zine from the heyday's from Gary Scott ("Skate") Davis, the devil locked master of the boneless one.

Ordered "KIDDIEPUNK Collected 2011-2015", patiently awaiting. Anyone else have it? Did you enjoy it? I namely got it for "Home" and "Teenage Satanists".

simulacrum

I really only enjoyed Sotos and Salerno's material in the Kiddiepunk collection, which was a bit of a bummer since I already had Home, but Teenage Satanists was enjoyable, although I've yet to have a fortuitous encounter with Cooper (his contribution was a very unremarkable introduction to his work [maybe his material is more a sort of Bonus Features for those who had already read the Marble Swarm?], and a later reading of My Loose Thread knocked Cooper's name & Closer considerably further down my to-read list).

Currently, I'm working through Jacques Derrida's Of Grammatology and Reading Derrida's Of Grammatology which has contributions by numerous scholars elaborating on certain themes and rhetorical devices Derrida uses. Very punishing, but very rewarding.

holy ghost

Quote from: RyanWreck on September 07, 2019, 01:10:28 AM
One of my favorite books ever, have read it a handful of times through-out my life. Have you read "Melmoth, The Wanderer"? If you enjoy Lewis' work you would certainly enjoy ol' Melmoth.

Both of these are really enjoyable. I distinctly remember especially enjoying Melmoth the Wanderer.

Currently reading "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straub. It's okay. I wanted something not too involved.

I just read Chaos: Charles Manson, The CIA and the Secret History of the 60's by Tom O'Neill. It was fucking great. Totally discredits Helter Skelter as a totally biased trash heap. Was great. Everyone interested in Manson should read this book.

I also read Macbeth by Jo Nesbo. It was also great. I read it at a cottage and it was totally fun, totally convoluted, and ridiculous.