What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSOL

If I Can't Have You: Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children - Gregg Olsen & Rebecca Morris

this case is extremely fascinating to me.
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

Peterson

Quote from: DSOL on January 09, 2019, 06:24:20 PM
If I Can't Have You: Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children - Gregg Olsen & Rebecca Morris

Likewise, thanks for the tip. Had been reading/listening to a lot of stuff online but didn't know this book existed.

Been reading a good amount of Patricia Highsmith's short stories and she's great. No wonder her and Paul Bowles were mutual fans of the each other's work.

DSOL

Quote from: Force Neurotic on January 09, 2019, 08:11:01 PM
Quote from: DSOL on January 09, 2019, 06:24:20 PM

Likewise, thanks for the tip. Had been reading/listening to a lot of stuff online but didn't know this book existed.

Been reading a good amount of Patricia Highsmith's short stories and she's great. No wonder her and Paul Bowles were mutual fans of the each other's work.

I don't know if you have already, but check out the "Cold" podcast, it's a podcast completed devoted to the case (Susan Powell), there are 9 episodes right now, and they over an hour or so each and they are pretty in depth -

its basically follows the case from the very beginning of their relationship, through the marriage and now (as far as I gotten with it), her disappearance. they seem to come out with a new one about every 2 weeks, so I'm been sitting on a couple of episodes to binge listen and most likely will start from the beginning again, once the podcast finishes
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

cr

Anyone here familiar with the life and works (I think he didn't write any books by himself...?) of U.G. Krishnamurti? Saw his name mentioned in various interviews, e.g. from Ulex Xane, or in Thomas Ligotti's Conspiracy against the Human Race. He seems to be a very interesting charakter and I'd like to find out more about his "ego-death". Many nice quotes to be found on the net, but I'd like to know more. Is there something existing like a biography in bookform? All of the books I found are something like interviews with him, are they any good?
Cheers for your comments and recommendations!

absurdexposition

Prurient interview in the latest issue of Noise Receptor is incredible.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

re:evolution

Quote from: absurdexposition on January 20, 2019, 11:41:57 PM
Prurient interview in the latest issue of Noise Receptor is incredible.

Yeah - Dom went all out with that interview. He already had the list of questions from me for a few months already, so clearly he had put huge amount of thought into what he wanted to say in response. What is in there is pretty much how the Skype conversation went down, other than being polished and slightly edited and streamlined once the text was transcribed.
noise receptor: sound with impact - analysing the abstract
http://noisereceptor.wordpress.com/
http://www.noisereceptor.bigcartel.com

spectrum magazine archive: ambient / industrial / experimental / power electronics / neo-folk music culture magazine
http://spectrummagarchive.wordpress.com/

cr

Houellebcq's Submission. Waiting on my shelves for at least three years, I started reading today and then quickly made it through the first 90 pages and now looking forward for reading the rest of it.

Already any comments about the new book, Serotonin?

Peterson

"Lou Reed: A Life," Anthony DeCurtis (Little, Brown & Co., 2017)
          More in-depth look at what an unstable prick he was. But man, was he the best. Seems like it was written for high-school age kids. But some really funny anecdotes.

yosef666

About 100 pages in. Crazy that there has never been a book about Swans before this. Some great stories and a lot of insight into Gira's life and working process.

Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

ashraf

Houellebecq just keeps getting better and Submission was his strongest yet. Really wild how prescient he is about world events (Bali resort attack when Platform came out, Charlie Hebdo with Submission etc.). Really looking forward to Serotonin but English translation doesn't come till Fall.

cr

Read a book called "The old King in his Exile" by Austrian author Arno Geiger. It's the autobiographical story about his father August suffering from Alzheimer disease and the slow but sure decay of his mind and memories. Many times while reading I was both in tears and roaring laughter. Not many books are able to do this.

holy ghost

I'm reading the 33 1/3 on Trout Mask Replica I found in a used bookstore and also reading Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer which is so different than the Netflix movie - I wish I had read the book first!!! Not sure if they're going to do the next two books as movies but I'm definitely going to get to them before watching the adaptation.

Just finished The Stand by Stephen King - what a great read.

I'm also casually skimming Trapped In A Scene - the book about UK hardcore and it's pretty cool. I definitely into these oral histories on music.

holy ghost

I'm reading Red Sparrow - saw the move last year and it was pretty great, Book is 100x better. And there's three of them!

I had started Oathbringer - I really liked the last two books but I got pretty tired of it pretty quickly and set it down after 80 pages. Maybe if I'm like at a cottage it might be cool but I guess I'm starting to get tired of this wizards and ghouls shit.

Kim V

Quote from: cr on February 09, 2019, 08:45:22 PM
Houellebcq's Submission. Waiting on my shelves for at least three years, I started reading today and then quickly made it through the first 90 pages and now looking forward for reading the rest of it.

Already any comments about the new book, Serotonin?

Started Serotonin a while ago, guess i read half of it until i got distracted by other new books i bought. I have a strong feeling of "déjà-lu" with this book and the fact that i put it away before completing it says something in itself. But it's classic Houellebcq and there's some great writing in it. Phrases that start at the top of the page and end somewhere just past the middle. But i should read it completely before judging on it.
you're just a victim of yourself

Soloman Tump

Spectrum Compendium.  Working my way through it all slowly, a very interesting read about what was going on back then.