What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A-Z

Quote from: holy ghost on October 26, 2018, 12:50:40 AM
I want to tackle The Stand again.

Did that last summer and enjoyed it even more than back in the early 90s when I read it for the first time. Early King is brilliant, imo.

brutalist_tapes

currently reading adolf hitler: the ultimate avatar by miguel serrano. an arcane work to put it mildly, but essential if you are into the esoteric and occult side of (neo-)nazism. a more sober, academic work about fascism called the birth of fascist ideology by zeev sternhell is also recommended reading, if you are interested in the complex history of early fascism. also i finally got to read brave new world - total classic! other novels i read recently includes kongens fald by johannes v. jensen - a danish masterpiece, one of the best books i ever read, very, very dark. also read some of the collected short stories of d.h. lawrence - again, totally recommended, they deal a lot with male supremacy, but in an interesting, non-stupid way. 

HONOR_IS_KING!

Quote from: holy ghost on October 26, 2018, 12:50:40 AM
I was on vacation and re-read Pet Sematary, Cujo and Christine by Stephen King. I read them as a kid and loved SK back in my teens and probably read everything he wrote in the 70's and 80's, really enjoyed these ones a lot. Not as "scary" as I remember and his reliance on old nostalgia in his characters inner monologues can wear a bit thin at times yet these books held up a lot better than I thought they would. I want to tackle The Stand again.

I was a huge Stephen King fan as a kid. Christine (The ending in particular) and Needful Things were the ones that stood out to me as some of the hardest of his early works. The Stand is his magnus opus. Book is on another level.
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

Strangecross

ReflexionLynette Fromme
I follow ATWA on facebook and when I saw this book for a sale I had a slight inkling that I would never actually receive it- but I had to try especially with the cheesey art. I went into this with my only knowledge of Manson being from reading Helter Skelter- I hadn't seen any documentaries or movies. I wasn't sure if I should post this in the true crime thread or here- which gives you an idea of the content- its really clean. I thought it was really great- it dosn't make you 'like' the characters but it sure made me want to go to the desert and overall gave me a very positive vibe(which is obviously the idea- to paint the whole thing white) I really got the idea from readin this that they were all having fun- and didn't really have any way to get away from it. I was really interested in reading about the dune buggies and outlaw bikers- but this does not come in until after page 300! anyway the last pages of the book are great.

Was there another thing (I don't remember what form of media) that was based around the family and dune buggies specifically?

WCN

Quote from: Strangecross on November 18, 2018, 06:30:55 AMWas there another thing (I don't remember what form of media) that was based around the family and dune buggies specifically?

Maybe "Revolution Blues" by Neil Young?

"...I see bloody fountains
And ten million dune buggies coming down the mountains..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uopmr4sBNM4
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Strangecross

I forgot about this song, but I believe what I was thinking of is "The Family' by Ed Sanders

Now I am wonder how ' Squeaky: the life and times of Lynette Fromme' compares to Reflexion....
Reflexion does not go past the arrrests during their desert excursion.

Strömkarlen

Quote from: Strangecross on November 18, 2018, 06:30:55 AM

Was there another thing (I don't remember what form of media) that was based around the family and dune buggies specifically?

Best Manson book I've read is John Gilmores Garbage People aka Manson http://www.amokbooks.com/titles/manson.

AdamLehrerImageMaker

Things I've read recently (seems as good a first post as any, happy to be here)

Essential Acker (a Dennis Cooper curated selection of Kathy Acker writings)
Vile Days: The Village Voice Art Columns (a collection of Gary Indiana's art criticism from the 1980s)
Brian Evenson-Father of Lies (been obsessed with his writing lately)
Dennis Cooper-Wrong (one of the few Cooper novels I hadn't read yet)
Ryu Murakami-Piercing
Maggie Nelson-The Art of Cruelty (great book that examines cruelty and brutality within contemporary art, cinema, and fiction)
and for trendy novelists, I just read Otessa Mosfegh's My Year of Rest and Relaxation and was shocked, I loved it. She's the real deal. She actually reminds me a bit of Bret Ellis in her ability to weave transgressive stories our of a very clear and easy to read literary style.

Kim V

Just finished Timothy Snyders "The Road to Unfreedom" and now started "The Strange Death of Europe" by Douglas Murray
you're just a victim of yourself

brutalist_tapes

trying to get through "adolf hitler: the ultimate avatar" by miguel serrano.. extremely strange book, recommended for anyone into seriously freakish stuff!

ashraf

Great recommendations from Adam. Also read and loved the Moshfegh book. I read her other novel, Eileen, and it was definitely building to My Year... There's a dollar fifty patreon fee to hear her and BEE in conversation. Worth it.

AdamLehrerImageMaker

I listened to it! It was fantastic. I've listened to everyone of his podcast eps since he had Kanye on on the first one. But I loved his and Otessa's conversation and was happy to hear about their personal connection after she reviewed Lunar Park or whatever. I like that he's having other novelists and writers on. The one with Bruce Wagner, one of the most under appreciated of all postmodernist novelists, was amazing when he was still on podcastone.

Peterson

Just finished Explore Everything by Bradley L. Garrett last night. A sort of hybrid memoir-manifesto on the more organized, intense side of urban exploration. Although each chapter goes way beyond it's point by having too much academia and political jargon woven into it, all points made are totally agreeable - health, safety and security regulations have run amok in modern society (and if a bunch of relative amateurs can easily circumvent them, how much good do they really do?). Lots of photos of folks sitting up places high enough to give you vertigo and low enough underground to make you claustrophobic. But still not enough photos! Inspiring and exciting book. You won't see me scaling cranes atop a skyscraper in the rain anytime soon, though.

holy ghost

Reading Days of Rage - America's Radical Underground, The FBI and the Forgotten Age of Revolutionary Ciolwnce by Brian Burrough and it's a fucking doozy - I'm trying to envision the frequency of bombings in America and how commonplace it was throughout the 70's. It's a solid read halfway through and I'm giving it a preemptive thumbs up. Definitely worth picking up.

Just picked up Oathbringer by Brian Sanderson and I'm pretty excited to start this, although I feel like I've really forgotten a lot of what's happened in the first two books in the Way of Kings series. I definitely thought the first two were amazing the best fantasy I've read in years.

DSOL

Robert Black: The True Story of a Child Rapist and Serial Killer -  C.L. Swinney

still need to grab those other Black books mentioned in this thread
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"