What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cherub

Just finished VALIS by Phil Dick. Is there a better explanation than that of the exegesis/cosmogony/authorship trilateral? It seems frustratingly pointless. Really interesting insight into the depths of mad existentialism, however. Mind of madness beats the narrative structure into stasis. Dick's equilibrium is all off as soon as he begins to explain things.

Starting Mountainhead now. Enjoying the down syndrome faggotry. Good chuckle. Should be rancid.

To read: Cat's Cradle, Cyclonopedia

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Cherub on April 25, 2018, 12:40:20 PM
Just finished VALIS by Phil Dick. Is there a better explanation than that of the exegesis/cosmogony/authorship trilateral? It seems frustratingly pointless. Really interesting insight into the depths of mad existentialism, however. Mind of madness beats the narrative structure into stasis. Dick's equilibrium is all off as soon as he begins to explain things.

Starting Mountainhead now. Enjoying the down syndrome faggotry. Good chuckle. Should be rancid.

To read: Cat's Cradle, Cyclonopedia

Re VALIS, dont know if there's a better explanation but I feel like futility and pointless are prinary themes in all of PKD's work.

If you're looking for something slightly more sane from the Dick I'd say skip The Divine Invasion and read the Transmigration of Timothy Archer. That one was way better than I expected.

[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

holy ghost

I started The Expanse series and this shit is simple and like crack, I can't stop reading them. It's like Game of Thrones in space and it's no surprise that one of the guys writing it is George RR Martins assistant. I mean it's nothing like GOT but it's simple and easy to read and you don't have to think too much about it

Peterson

Too Far From Home: Selected Writings of Paul Bowles, ed. Daniel Halperin (Ecco, 1993)
          More well-known for his music in some circles (including having some of his recordings put out under erroneous credit to Brion Gysin!), Paul Bowles was one of those expatriate authors to live a more traveled and decadent life before it was fashionable, influencing Burroughs and the Beat era - but being far superior in every way, literary and lifestyle, through and through; Burroughs couldn't do under the influence of heroin what this guy did with just a little hash. This collection contains a novella, some fiction stories, novel excerpts, some non-fiction, and an interview. So far I've only read the short stories and started the novella (published posthumously), but I really can say without hyperbole this guy's work is much better than the great majority of so-called "transgressive" authors, with a couple exceptions. Gorgeous imagery, razor-sharp subtlety and wit, a sort of magical lyricism, and of course extremely brutal and often sudden violence. You can get his reading "A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard" or his music "The Pool K III" from Dom America to accompany this fine tome or instead pair it with anything by Amph, Organum, or maybe even Randy Greif and you'll do just fine.

DSOL

The I-5 Killer- Ann Rule

"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

cantle

Just Finished The Vory by Galeotti and Russian organised crime- definately recommend it.

Yohe

I'm heavily into fantasy novels lately. Currently reading the third book of the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. That man's a genius. Love his books.
Here's what experts say about ZQuiet and how it works.

holy ghost

Quote from: Yohe on May 09, 2018, 08:14:53 PM
I'm heavily into fantasy novels lately. Currently reading the third book of the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. That man's a genius. Love his books.

Haven't read those but the Stormlight Archive is so fucking great. Eagerly awaiting #3 to arrive in paperback this fall.

Currently reading The Looming tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11, my wife picked it up for me on a whim and I'm loving it.

Just finished book 1 of The Expanse, it's a pretty easy read but very entertaining. I inhaled it in a week which is pretty good for me considering how little time I have to sit and read.

aububs

finished gene wolfe's briah cycle recently

mind blowing

also got through 2666 which i loved and will read again

Frataxin

Currently, I'm reading The Sluts by Dennis Cooper, someone recommended it to me. It's fantastic, and hilarious in the worst way, which is what I like.

ONE

Quote from: Force Neurotic on May 07, 2018, 10:56:16 PM
Too Far From Home: Selected Writings of Paul Bowles, ed. Daniel Halperin (Ecco, 1993)
          More well-known for his music in some circles (including having some of his recordings put out under erroneous credit to Brion Gysin!), Paul Bowles was one of those expatriate authors to live a more traveled and decadent life before it was fashionable, influencing Burroughs and the Beat era - but being far superior in every way, literary and lifestyle, through and through; Burroughs couldn't do under the influence of heroin what this guy did with just a little hash. This collection contains a novella, some fiction stories, novel excerpts, some non-fiction, and an interview. So far I've only read the short stories and started the novella (published posthumously), but I really can say without hyperbole this guy's work is much better than the great majority of so-called "transgressive" authors, with a couple exceptions. Gorgeous imagery, razor-sharp subtlety and wit, a sort of magical lyricism, and of course extremely brutal and often sudden violence. You can get his reading "A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard" or his music "The Pool K III" from Dom America to accompany this fine tome or instead pair it with anything by Amph, Organum, or maybe even Randy Greif and you'll do just fine.

A superb and accomplished scribe, thanks for the reminder.
resist the things you can find everywhere

cr

Bought some books the last week, already browsed through some pages here and there. Looking forward to read them with more focus:

Ernst Jünger: In Stahlgewittern (Storm of Steel)
Reinhard Falter: Ludwig Klages
Franz Wegener: Alfred Schuler - Der letzte deutsche Katharer
Ernst von Salomon: Die Geächteten (The Outlaws)
Georg Trakl: Complete Poems
Leonora Carrington: The house of fear; and The Hearing Trumpet
...and also an art book with some of her paintings called Surrealism, Alchemy and Art by Susan L. Aberth

Kayandah

A History of Violence by Oscar Martinez
Not keen on the title which misleads, but this is an excellent collection of articles he wrote about the goings on in Central America, namely El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. My readings on the drug trade in Mexico indicated that its seriously messed up in Central america, this book provides an honest portrayal as he interviews narcos, corrupt politicians, policemen and the poor people who suffer. Obviously when things are this endemically corrupt there are no solutions.

holy ghost

I'm reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari and really enjoying it. Basically tracing the history of human evolution, he's got a great writing style and the book is genuinely interesting. 

Kim V

Finally finished "America's War for the Greater Middle East" by Andrew J. Bacevich and now started something entirely different, Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
you're just a victim of yourself