What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

Started to read Fridtjof Nansen's "Farthest North". This one's waiting on my shelves for some years, but I think now the time is right.

The last weeks I was mostly reading through Bardo Methodology  #1 & 2 and The Sinister Flame IV & V zines. Absolutely great and in-depth inteviews and articles. Keeping my mind occupied for a while...

david lloyd jones

'the thai occult-sak yant' publ timeless france.
count myself fortunate to have this as bulk of the ptinting pulped over copyright issue.
focusses on thai magical tatooing with theory, history, interviews and pictures in good proportion.
the second book on thai occult in a series, apparently.

david lloyd jones

re reading 'reel wild cinema' a reprint of an australian film fanzine from thegolden age of video.

holy ghost

I just finished The Girls by Emma Cline, it's a fictionalized reenactment of the Manson Family murders but from the perspective of a 14 year old girl hanging around the ranch and then her later 60 year old self. I don't know if I loved it, but it was an easy fast read and it was pretty interesting.

Deadpriest

I am reading the Nietzsche Reader,
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

lime

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Very comfy book, enjoying it a lot

cr

Quote from: theotherjohn on October 28, 2017, 09:55:05 AM
Just ordered a copy of this book which has recently been reprinted by Spurl Editions:

Anyone who's into sadism, fetishism, travel, cannibalism, zombies, alcoholism, insane asylums, the surreal or the esoteric needs to look into this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Seabrook

When I first saw the bondage hood photos that Man Ray's assistant Jacques-André Boiffard chose for Bataille's Documents magazine in 1930, it totally scorched my mind - up there with seeing Pierre Molinier's work for the first time. It's a pity that the still-untranslated Michel Leiris companion essay on Seabrook's mask fetishism wasn't included with this book.

Are there any books out there compiling all the most scandalous surrealist photography of this time? L'Amour Fou has a few select things, but I know Man Ray and his ilk photographed more filth than the usual Taschen books would have you believe. Undercover Surrealism isn't too bad, but I want more. For anyone who happens to own it, does "La Subversion des Images: Surrealisme, Photographie, Film" offer a better selection?

Thanks a lot for introduction! Will try to get the Undercover surrealism and the Seabrook book. And I'm also interested in books about compiling 'the most scandalous surrealist photography'. So also awaiting your recommendations.
Cheers!

F82123

On a big pulp kick lately.

The Complete Richard Allen- I had a couple volumes as a teenaged bootboy, but was recently gifted the entire series. Rape, racial violence, and even a Satanic orgy. Pure thrills.

The Lotus Crew- Written by Stewart Meyer, a protege of William Burroughs, here you have some grimy NYC heroin pulp. Not well written at all but right up my alley.
Fatigued & Relapsing

david lloyd jones

Quote from: F82123 on October 29, 2017, 08:21:26 PM

The Complete Richard Allen- I had a couple volumes as a teenaged bootboy, but was recently gifted the entire series. Rape, racial violence, and even a Satanic orgy. Pure thrills.

The Lotus Crew- Written by Stewart Meyer, a protege of William Burroughs, here you have some grimy NYC heroin pulp. Not well written at all but right up my alley.

richard allen books, always appreciated.
not just the skinhead 'chronicles' but all the exploito stuff.
also his work as richard allen, that includes rare manson biog
he once boasted he could write a book on a week, which he did. it was published, it was rubbish.

david lloyd jones

reading 'the hunt for the sixties ripper' by robin jarossi, about the series of unsolved killings in west london in early sixties- called 'jack the stripper', he killed and seemingly stopped.
book highlights social and cultural issues of the day in britain, esp, west london, a terminus for drugs, prostitution, worthles grind at the time.

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: david lloyd jones on November 05, 2017, 05:04:50 PM

he once boasted he could write a book on a week, which he did. it was published, it was rubbish.

He must have been one of the worst pulp writers ever - makes Guy N Smith look like Jane Austen. Especially love the 'Punk Rock' book from '77 when he was in terminal alcoholic decline wherein he envisaged a punk band singing a song called Brighton Puffcake. His books under other names eg James Moffat 'The Girl From H.A.R.D' (terrible 'saucy' spy literature) are just as bad. Love his work and also the craziness he unwittingly inspired in the form of Stewart Home's superb early work. |

Peterson

"Mountainhead," New Juche (Nine-Banded Books)

Great little memoir of so-called "transgressive" writing that has its own unique and lyrical voice, certainly a gift for voice, imagery, and similies, but owes a lot at some points to mid-period Sotos and Burroughs' "Yage Letters." Very obsessive, detailed prose that while at times really self-indulgent, is also astute, funny, endearing, and exciting. A whole lot of excellent one-liners a reader could contextmize with to their own perverse ends. Will expand this into a "serious" review ASAP.

yosef666

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on November 05, 2017, 10:36:04 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on November 05, 2017, 05:04:50 PM

He must have been one of the worst pulp writers ever - makes Guy N Smith look like Jane Austen. Especially love the 'Punk Rock' book from '77 when he was in terminal alcoholic decline wherein he envisaged a punk band singing a song called Brighton Puffcake. His books under other names eg James Moffat 'The Girl From H.A.R.D' (terrible 'saucy' spy literature) are just as bad. Love his work and also the craziness he unwittingly inspired in the form of Stewart Home's superb early work. |
I'm making my way through the volumes I hadn't read before. I can't add much to your assessment here, pretty spot on. And I couldn't agree more about early Stewart Home, everything up through Come Before Christ and Murder Love is mandatory.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

bitewerksMTB

"You exist- purely and simply- to provide a filth drain, a septic tank into which the rest of us can excrete our own torrential malice and cruelty, our lust for vengeance, our dark unspoken fantasies of violence and greed. Your pain is essential to the smooth functioning of civilization. But do not flatter yourselves. Your individual crimes- no matter how shocking- have no meaning whatsoever. All that is required is that you be here, innocent or guilty, good and bad alike. You are a pot to be shat in- that and nothing more. Understand that. And know that I understand it too. And as you lie weeping in your cells I want you to reflect on this: that just by being here you are doing excellent service- a good job- for the society you so despise."

"Beyond that any white person that fucked a nigger, especially without a condom, deserves to die; and even more especially so if that white person was a woman or a faggot."

A couple choice rants from the warden of Green River Prison in the novel, GREEN RIVER RISING, by Tim Willocks

cr

Yesterday I received the massive The Devil's Cradle:The Story of Finnish Black Metal - book.

Heavy hardcover, over 500 pages. Featuring Beherit, Impaled Nazarene, Barathrum, Archgoat, Azazel, Diaboli, Darkwoods My Betrothed, Horna, Warloghe, Behexen, Clandestine Blaze, Satanic Warmaster, Ride for Revenge, Goatmoon, ... and many more.

Also got the NEUESACHLICKEIT 0 book today.

So I'll definitely have some great stuff to read in the next couple weeks.