What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zodiac

Among the latest books were "Diary Of A Madman", the story of Brad "Scarface" Jordan. It was recommended in the HipHop thread here.
Was a good read for a cheap price. Was not that HARD as i did expect it from the description given in the thread but was still very good
entertainment.
Remember, remember... december.

Pax Chetyorka

Binging on Thomas Bernhard. Strangely addicting. Read Concrete, Woodcutters (my favorite), Wittgenstein's Nephew, now time for Correction!

vomitgore

Quote from: cr on March 12, 2017, 03:43:03 PM

2.000 pages to help me through spring.

This will be a pretty disturbing spring! Personally, I have only read "Die Lehre des Zerfalls" and liked it at the time. Still kind of uncertain about which further works of his I could read.

Andrew McIntosh

Anything you can get your hands on from Cioran is worth it. Admittedly, some of his books are more interesting than others. But he's got a writing style like no other. What you've read, (in English "A Short History of Decay", although I admit I prefer "Doctrine of Decay") is one of his better books, I think. Read it and heed it. Try "On the Heights of Despair" for his earlier work and "The Trouble of Being Born" for his more "poetic", aphorismic style.
Shikata ga nai.

cr

That's true, everything by Cioran is worth it.
I'm just reading the last chapter from the aforementioned book - "Der zersplitterte Fluch".  I think these were one of his last writings (ca. 1987), all in aphorismic form. There is not a single page with a quote which isn't worth remembering. Eternal truths.

david lloyd jones

working through 'kiddiepunk' anthology
the mix of illustration and words works ok
most of the picks work well. not artlessly odd like 'haunted air' or a search on internet with weird and old in the parameters,
but engaging you in their 'world'
words wise, still evaluating, but Sotos disappoints, cooper is ok and Moore and Bauman as unknowns seem best.

impulse manslaughter

Quote from: theotherjohn on December 11, 2016, 03:26:52 PM
Either way, she's definitely doing far better things for women in noise than what William's female partner added to their extremely short lived Whitehouse line up - sheesh, what an embarrassment that was! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40GwOGnJiSk

Never saw this. Thanks!

david lloyd jones

anyone get reader's block, where you can't read as usual?

AXNAAR

Quote from: david lloyd jones on April 05, 2017, 04:17:54 PM
Only after 10 pints, trying to read the Wetherspoons menu.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: AXNAAR on April 05, 2017, 06:40:18 PM
Quote from: david lloyd jones on April 05, 2017, 04:17:54 PM
Only after 10 pints, trying to read the Wetherspoons menu.

frankly, if you are in a Weatherspoon's pub, you deserve it.
hope your legs grow tracksuit bottoms and your top a adinikefootie blend.

rintrah

Quote from: cr on March 19, 2017, 08:09:59 PM
That's true, everything by Cioran is worth it.
I'm just reading the last chapter from the aforementioned book - "Der zersplitterte Fluch".  I think these were one of his last writings (ca. 1987), all in aphorismic form. There is not a single page with a quote which isn't worth remembering. Eternal truths.

Agreed. My favorite is "Tears and Saints". Cioran developing a Nietzschean genealogy of the uses and abuses of mysticism, the body of the saint, "will to power", etc . . .
The young Cioran at his best.

ConcreteMascara

started "The Monkey Wrench Gang" by Edward Abbey last week. Haven't made too much progress yet unfortunately, but enjoying it quite a bit so far. listening to a lot of crust and pv lately, so it's a nice fit for my current mental headspace. it also takes place in an area I just visited last summer on a cross country road trip, so it's fun to know and remember what the places described in the book actually look like.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

david lloyd jones

the little sister by Raymond chandler, which will hopefully get me out of readers' block.

Peterson

Siddartha Kara, "Sex Trafficking: Inside The Business of Modern Slavery," (Columbia University Press, 2009)
          Really compelling but slow read; this book basically attempts to analyze the business of human trafficking (not just sex slaves, either) from an economic as well as social perspective - nice to get a holistic perspective on the issue without total reliance on tragic victim testimonials, etc. More so, the journalistic approach is equally as rigorous as the more essay-like, data-driven sections; the guy actually went around to all these places risking his own life to help or at least talk to some of these people, mostly women. Great read for anyone interested in humanitarian or abjectly bleak subject matter.

cr

Just reading randomly through this nice book:

Looking forward to get the 'ANSWER Me!: All Four Issues' brick.