What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

Just started to read a book with all pieces of Sarah Kane. Normally I don't really like (to read) dramas and theatres (except Werner Schwab). But we'll see...

The first one is called Blasted, followed by Phaedra's Love, Cleansed, Crave and finally 4.48 Psychosis, which was completed shortly before she committed suicide.

ProzacPatrol

Quote from: cr on September 22, 2016, 06:35:55 PM
Just started to read a book with all pieces of Sarah Kane. Normally I don't really like (to read) dramas and theatres (except Werner Schwab). But we'll see...

The first one is called Blasted, followed by Phaedra's Love, Cleansed, Crave and finally 4.48 Psychosis, which was completed shortly before she committed suicide.

Lmao I did Sarah Kane for my theater art credit college presentation just to troll. I had a slideshow of all the bloodiest shit I could find and most offensive clips ahahaha

ConcreteMascara

obviously different people have different opinions but I think here plays in written form a generally quite good, especially Cleansed.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

cr

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on September 23, 2016, 05:12:52 PM

obviously different people have different opinions but I think here plays in written form a generally quite good, especially Cleansed.

That's right, Cleansed is good and I also liked Blasted. The rest I've still to read.
Though it's been many years now, I think I'm still 'infested' by the plays I had to read in school, so it seems they managed to inject a lifelong aversion. All those social dramas which wanted at least to change the world and give you a guilty conscience (if that's the right words)
I think that's also a reason why I'm such a big fan of something like 'Anti-Social Realism', so I must be thankful as well, hehe.

david lloyd jones

just purchased 'this way madness lies: the asylum and beyond' by mike jay pub by Thames and Hudson.
a lavishly illustrated history of insanity, it's treatment, history, etc with art by the insane held by the royal bethlem hospital in London.
accompanies an exhibition of the newly refurbished bethlem hospital archives.

cr

E.M. Cioran: "The trouble with being born" - for the Xth time.
Eternal favourite. I open any page and find something I can profoundly relate to.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: david lloyd jones on September 27, 2016, 02:42:11 PM
just purchased 'this way madness lies: the asylum and beyond' by mike jay pub by Thames and Hudson.
a lavishly illustrated history of insanity, it's treatment, history, etc with art by the insane held by the royal bethlem hospital in London.
accompanies an exhibition of the newly refurbished bethlem hospital archives.

just an addition-been to the exhibition in the welcome collection in London.
this free exhibition is worth an hour of your time if in London

david lloyd jones

just got 'Italian horror cinema' baschieta and hunter EDS unit of Edinburgh press- title says it really and seems good for a film studies book.

also got 'grindhouse' EDS fisher and walker on Bloomsbury press which may be a bit more up its film studies Ares but readable.

Peterson

"Consumer Guide" by Simon Morris - apparently this forum is home to actual writers rather than just imitation ones like myself. This book is a little bit of cut-up autobiography mixed with opinionated ranting on everything from mainstream rock, to underground music, to directors, authors, fast food, and even small towns and tourist attractions. Everything is so astute, even when I disagree, that I actually teared up on several of the occasions where I laughed out loud while reading alone. So yeah, obviously it's a somewhat nerdy book, of course, but describing things like "puncheable faces" and why movies by Wes Anderson ("he's the Sonic Youth of cinema"), books by Dave Eggers, and The Clash all are completely fucking annoying is both useful and necessary for your friends who need a little wake-up call from their "Dawn of the Dead" state as Morris puts it.

If you have ever enjoyed Sotos books such as Index or Parasite magazine, this is for you, just removed of the abject sexuality, but degrading all the same - this is just scathing criticism of stuff that is mostly really overrated. Fucking top-notch shit that I couldn't really decide was humor or something else.

Best quote: "Bob Marley's music makes me want to impose a death penalty for cannabis use."

aububs

^^any idea where that can be picked up? or is it sold out?

RyanWreck

"DISCO'S OUT... MURDER'S IN!" (Feral House, 2015)
I swore I already talked anout this book here but I suppose not. Anyway, it's about California punk gangs of the 80's (Vice did a piece on it here.) These were true gangs, groups of kids that murder and fight constantly. It covers FFF (Fight for Freedom), Suicidals (groups of hispanic kids took after the Suicidal Tendencies many had already grown up with their brothers in gangs like Varrio Echo X Parque), the Lads, La Mirada Punks (LMD, which is the gang the author was in), Pig Children, BPO, etc. Some of these gangs would later form into other larger more known gangs like Public Enemy Number 1 (PEN1) white gang within the Cali Prison System. Rumor has it they got their name from "Rudimentary Peni." Definitely recommended for anyone interested in gangs and the punk subculture.

Here is a little list and a couple photos from that time: http://ambitiondeficitdisorder.tumblr.com/post/88117552220/suicidals-bpo-lads-came-across-this-article-on

aububs

david lloyd jones

'doors of Valhalla' by Vincent ongkowidjojo-esoteric northern mystery subjects
the Thai occult-pub by timeless, both a pictorial and written enlightenment

RyanWreck

"Music at the Extremes: Essays on Sounds Outside the Mainstream": A collection of "academic" writings that range from talking about the Laibach, Bad Brains and race within Punk, Finnish folk Metal and then the one that most stuck out is a treatise titled "Power Electronics and Conventionally Transgressive Assembly Work" by one Andrew Whelan a "career coach for general assembly" (hence the title of his work). It only grabbed my attention because he quoted my interview with Mikko from the Institute Of Paraphilia Studies interview (who he continually refers back to as IPS). You can read the entirety of this particular piece at the Google Books preview HERE. It's basically a thesaurus grab of everything we all already know and is blatantly obvious to anyone who spends a minimal time snooping.

"h-hey guys can i hang out?"

Peterson

I saw that a while back on Google books somehow, and was a little disturbed that a lot of his opinions literally seemed to come from snooping, at least partially on this forum. I got the feeling also that he spent a lot of time trying to determine which projects were "serious," or not, and if so, what that means, a process in his context that I'd thoroughly classify as "clueless outsider journalism." I wouldn't be surprised if that book contributed to future articles on whomakesthenazis or whatever it's called. I think a lot of folks want to understand "why" these things exist without really approaching any of it. "Problematic," as they say.