What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

Finished the Albert Fish book and I think it's good for what it is. Nothing new of course, but I particularly liked this paragraph:
"I am a man of passion. You don't know what that means unless you are my kind. At the orphanage they put me just before Garfield was assassinated, there were some older boys that caught a horse in a sloping field. They got the horse up against a fence down at the bottom of the field and tied him up. An old horse. They put kerosene on his tail and lit it and cut the rope. Away went that old horse, bursting through fences to get away from the fire. But the fire went with him. That horse, that's me. That's the man of passion. The fire chases you and catches you and then it's in your blood. And after that, it's the fire that has control and not the man. Blame the fire of passion for what Albert H. Fish has done."

cr

Next is this one, it's been waiting on my shelves for some time now:

Looking forward to the Fight your own war - book. Ordered it last week and just received the download code for the accompanying tracks.

calaverasgrande

I live in the general area where Fish conducted his shenanigans. I keep meaning to try and visit the various locations. There simply must be some kind of Albert Fish Tour.
'And here is where he ate the monkey and the pee-wees'.

david lloyd jones

just picked up 'LA Noir' the facts behind the James Elroy books by a John Bunting- as an Elroy fan this background sounds just dandy

tiny_tove

very nice
always lliked him, very entertaining....
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Fluid Fetish

Quote from: vomitgore on August 24, 2016, 07:50:15 PM
Quote from: Fluid Fetish on August 17, 2016, 04:49:00 AM
Recently finished The Hermetic Tradition, and about to continue the Evola streak by beginning Revolt Against the Modern World. Before that was a text book on surrealism/dada, Making Tracks which is the Blondie book, and the Isten zine collection.

Very good pick! "Revolt against the Modern World" is understood to be Evola's core work on which his entire output is based. I actually read "Cavalcare la Tigre" before RatmW, which was pretty interesting as the latter is basically the foundation of Evola's contempt for modernism. I definitely recommend reading "The Metaphysics of War" directly after RoatmW, as the essays that are collected there are somewhat of an extention of the main work.

Coincidentally, reading "The Yoga of Power" at the moment and enjoying every page. Evola's eclectic approach to spiritualism is challenging but highly informative, as is always the case. This one may not be too interesting for those who are into his political thoughts, but comes recommended to readers who would like to explore the darker sides of Hinduism and the Left-Hand Path.

I was actually planing on reading Ride the Tiger after this but I'll take your advice and go with Metaphysics instead and get to Ride later. Yoga of Power is in the pile as well, I'd definitely agree with you that his approach is challenging but highly rewarding, insightful, and well written therefore I'm interested in every facet of his work.  Thanks for the information and recommendations.

calaverasgrande

Quote from: tiny_tove on August 31, 2016, 12:32:29 AM

very nice
always lliked him, very entertaining....
On a related note, have you ever read Kurt Brecht's(frontman of DRI) books?
Notes From The Nest, The 30-Day Diarrhea Diet Plan, See The Loud Feeling, and Whore Stories.
I've only read the first two that I can recall.
They are actually surprisingly good. As they were written around the time that DRI crossed over into mainstream metal popularity from underground hardcore/punk. And at the time Kurt was living in the bushes and trees of Golden Gate park in San Francisco.
I can vaguely recall running into him up around there when I was scoring weed or acid on hippie/skinhead hill or at the park where Haight ends.
It's also kind of illuminating as I always considered the lyrics of DRI not that great, and Kurt actually has a bit more depth than he lets show in his macho metal/hardcore persona.

tiny_tove

I didn't know that and will definitely check into it (and suggest them to Tsunami ahah).

Consider that the when I discovered hardcore it was due to two tapes that included sod speak english or die, dri dealing with it, necros, nabat (italy's most famous OI! band), 4 skinss agnostic front, verbal abuse, posion idea, ecc.
so I have a soft spot for them....

DRI disappointed me with crossover and the following records, although their  gigs were always impressive....
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

calaverasgrande

Yeah DRI and COC were two bands that really lost me when they transitioned over to mainstream metal.
But having been in bands that have toured myself and being a former promoter, I can easily see why a band which is offered the choice of playing a dirty squat with a $5 door and playing a large, clean, well furnished venue with an actual backstage and a $15 door, why some would choose the latter. Musical integrity gets old pretty fast when you are sleeping on floors and eating at soup kitchens.
On another note, I've always found the metalhead biography books kind of better than similar punk/hardcore books. If for no other reason than the metalheads were only ever there for the music. They are under no illusions that they are waging class warfare or changing things. (Black Metal notwithstanding).
The punks have this whole 'we built this perfect scene' thing that is just nauseating to listen to.
I'm actually in a couple books myself since I was part of the late 80's punk/hardcore scene in the Bay Area at Blacklist/Epicenter/Gilman st. I've went to great lengths to elucidate my ideology on the point that idealistic people who want to see change in the world would be better served volunteering at a homeless shelter or drug recovery program. As opposed to 'volunteering' for loud music as if punk rock is a cause.
However they have always managed to obfuscate what I said and make me sound like a drunk idiot.
But I've always butted heads with that whole MRR crew about their anti-drugs and alcohol stance. They are very open minded and positive until they realize you are high as fuck, then you are ruining 'the scene'.

It's also highly ironic that for all the polemics about race, class and gender, when you went into these DIY punk scenes it was 90% white guys watching bands that are 95% white guys. So after all that effort, not much different really than the metal scene.

But I am venting.

david lloyd jones

from above,
loud music is never a cause and second the call to involvement (whatever that means for you individually)
this is still true for the noise/pe 'scene'.
whatever you listen to or read, it is still only listening or reading, until you decide to act

david lloyd jones

re:myprior entry, I don't mean starting a band or 'noise' project

yosef666

Quote from: calaverasgrande on September 02, 2016, 12:12:22 AM
But I've always butted heads with that whole MRR crew about their anti-drugs and alcohol stance. They are very open minded and positive until they realize you are high as fuck, then you are ruining 'the scene'.
I'm really curious what you're talking about here. Granted I was involved in Gilman & MRR much later than you, but I never met ANYONE else at MRR who didn't drink and/or use drugs, with the exception of one person in a 12-step program, and I heard a LOT of shit talked about straight edge and sobriety. Tim Yo certainly wasn't anti-drinking, or any of the old school folks.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

"As long as humans have hands to draw with, topics such as fucking, sucking, tits, ass, sodomy, pink cunts and big dicks along with death, murder, politics and power will always be on our cave walls." -Joe Roemer

david lloyd jones

as uk follower of post punk h/c, hated mar as joyless and pc.
liked forced exposure, chemical imbalance, your flesh etc.

calaverasgrande

Quote from: yosef666 on September 02, 2016, 09:58:22 PM
Quote from: calaverasgrande on September 02, 2016, 12:12:22 AM
I'm really curious what you're talking about here. Granted I was involved in Gilman & MRR much later than you, but I never met ANYONE else at MRR who didn't drink and/or use drugs, with the exception of one person in a 12-step program, and I heard a LOT of shit talked about straight edge and sobriety. Tim Yo certainly wasn't anti-drinking, or any of the old school folks.
The MRR/Gilman crew in the late 80's and early 90's was a lot more straight edge leaning. Though I do think only Martin Sprouse was explicitly SE. They certainly all were heavy Dischord fans at least.
It was also this kind of cliquishness between the kind of street punk/crusty side of things and the book nerd/having a job punks.
I've always kind of thought it was ironic that some of these folks worshipped music by glue huffing degenerates but wouldn't be caught dead in the same room with any actual glue huffing degenerates.

moozz

Clive Barker: The Scarlet Gospels

Pinhead is back. I don't know if Clive Barker has written any Hellraiser related novels or short stories since The Hellbound Heart but at least this is now one. Released already in 2015 but I didn't know about it before seeing it in a bookstore a month ago. I still have 1/4 of the novel to go but I have to say it is packed with action and plenty of gruesome details. What kind of put me off in the beginning was the mundane depiction of hell (they have bureaus and slums etc in hell) but luckily there is plenty of twisted imagination at work so all that is just a minor distraction.