What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: cantle on October 01, 2015, 05:08:28 PM
Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on October 01, 2015, 03:47:26 PM

The internet has ruined so much about that as well as clandestine forms of art and music. Some things ought to be difficult to discover.

I'd agree with that too.

I'm confused (which is easily done): was Simon Whitechapel and Aldapuerto and Pantziarka the same person?

I was told the mildly infamous real name and identity of Whitechapel but have no way of knowing whether that was true. No idea on the others. I notice there is a wikipedia entry for James Shelby Downard which treats him as a real person because there are writings done in that name and one photograph purporting to be this person. It seems clear to me that JSD was a fictitious identity and the writings were a collaborative prank and pooling of imagination. It's like the entry for Stewart Home's supposed birth mother and how James Havoc died in Tokyo.

cantle

Still as clear as mud... still not that it matters much the 90s are long past now...

Deadpriest

Primal Screamer by Nick Blinko (I'm a slow reader) also guro manga.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

pull

Closer by Dennis Cooper
Autoportrait by Edouard Leve'

Potier

Peter Brötzmann: We thought we could change the world - Conversations with Gérard Ruoy

Great collection of interviews, photos & art. Great to see that this one is all English and therefore may be spread a little further than the all German publications that had appeared prior. If you're at all interested in Brötzmann's career, his thought processes and the history of his zillion collabs - get this.

Harcamone

The Book of Nightmares by Galway Kinnell. A totally macabre and feverish collection of poems with lines like "... the slow / agonizing clenches making / the last molds of her life in the dark" and "... she dies / a moment, turns blue as coal / the limbs shaking / as the memories rush out of them"

This is a poem about the birth of his daughter, of all things!

Diseased Peasant

Recently finished:
Albert Camus - Resistance Rebellion Death
Adrienne Rich - Telephone Ringing in the Labyrinth

Currently reading:
Mario Vargas LLosa - Notes on the Death of Culture

tiny_tove

Quote from: Diseased Peasant on November 17, 2015, 04:44:34 AM
Currently reading:

what is it about?

reading boring after effect manual :(
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Diseased Peasant

Quote from: tiny_tove on November 17, 2015, 09:50:39 AM
Quote from: Diseased Peasant on November 17, 2015, 04:44:34 AM
Currently reading:

what is it about?

reading boring after effect manual :(

I haven't had as much time as I would like to read so I am still early in the book. But with that being said, so far it has discussed how in the past we have defined culture and art to what it is today. And how art, culture and philosophy are being lost in todays society/civilization. How most people look simply to some simple spectacle to pass the time and not be bored. People don't want to talk of ideas or philosophy, they rather talk of whatever will take their mind off serious thought. They rather leave any serious thought behind. They want only to be entertained and live a life of passive observation in pleasant illusion rather than face reality and take its challenges on. Everything is now just a fad or fashion that quickly passes with no long lasting effect. People look only to the light and disposable things rather than something that ask of them to look at themselves or think. These trends and these fashions are determined by masses who are influenced only by those who are concerned with profits and celebrities and athletes who of little or no intellectual value or insight are given the greatest voice in determining such things. Things that they have no real insight or thought in. In politics today in the way which elections are held and the government is run is all the same. It is more important to the average voter how some one looks, or what sort of entrainment can be gained from them, and any actual talk of policy is lost. Only that they can talk to whatever is currently trending or the current buzz word. The news that is suppose to be leading the way of having an informed public have fallen to all those same flaws.

I am only about 50 pages in but has been an enjoyable read so far and at this point I would recommend it.

Deadpriest

My Loose Thread: Dennis Cooper
How To Read Lacan: Slavoj Zizek
War All the Time (Poems 1981-1984): Charles Bukowski

I tried to read The Flowers Of Evil by Charles Baudelaire but found it boring (I like other of his poems though)
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Sturmfieber

Frater Kafyrfos - Diabolic Gnosticism

Zodiac

2/3 od WOLVES AMONG SHEEP is done and it is quite entertaining. Reminds of (course) LORDS OF CHAOS and to some degree LOOKING FOR EUROPE as well, what in my view is a good thing. Good reading (and good looking book) for a fair price.
Remember, remember... december.

Zodiac

Quote from: Staalwaart on November 23, 2015, 09:17:18 AM
2/3 od WOLVES AMONG SHEEP is done and it is quite entertaining. Reminds of (course) LORDS OF CHAOS and to some degree LOOKING FOR EUROPE as well, what in my view is a good thing. Good reading (and good looking book) for a fair price.

Done with that one. Was ok to read and had some good passages. Anyway...

Now it is Edgar A. Poe - Complete Works.
Remember, remember... december.

KillToForget

About to start Anais Nin's Delta of Venus since a friend recommended it, and then High Life by Matthew Stokoe

HongKongGoolagong

Recently: The Gimp by Christopher Nosnibor and So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson. Both pretty good.

Currently halfway through the incredible The Visceral Tear by Sue Fox (Oneiros). Intense and genuinely transgressive tome which is an ode to her lifelong masturbatory habits, obsessions with sex offenders and being forced, disappointments with weak men. Honest portrayal of how dangerous female sexuality can get, stream of consciousness prose clearly written while wanking, many contradictions and mysteries. Loving this.