What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermin Marvin

Just bought Today:
Herman Hesse : Narkissos ja kulta suu
Rudolf Höss : Auschwizin komendantti (`59)
Michael de Koningh/Laurence Cane-Honeysett:Young, Gifted, and Black: The Story of Trojan Records without the cd.. don`know where to start yet.

online prowler

MATT COYLE's WORRY DOLL

For those of you interested in graphic novels... I really recommend this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLPnj16Kz4

Teenage Satanists in Oklahoma 3

Latest zine by Michael Salerno. A drastic development in form and materialty. Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/123108441

tiny_tove

will eisner's educational books:
- Comics and Sequential Art
- Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative
- Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative: Principles and Practices
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

online prowler

Quote from: tiny_tove on April 16, 2015, 01:25:45 PM
will eisner's educational books:
- Comics and Sequential Art
- Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative
- Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative: Principles and Practices

Eisner is a demi god. He was the artist that opened my eyes when I was a youngster. Truly great craftsman and pioneer in visual narrative.

firstcircle

Quote from: Zoladingoing on April 10, 2015, 10:16:51 AM
bought crime and punishment few years ago I know it is a decent book but for whatever odd reason never checked it out all this time. with Dostoevsky length won't be an issue as i finished before the brothers Karamazov and if I am not mistaken it was Dostoevsky longest works....wow that chapter the grand inquisitor, the information around us says that Dostoevsky was Christian but his use of Satan is nothing like Goethe or Baudelaire, even far away from Milton romantic framework (but I think Dostoevsky & Milton share the same political views) anyways Dostoevsky devil is rather based on "actual" facts such as the examination of conscience, psychology, sociology and herd mentality. what worse Dostoevsky let it seems like it is morally justified. I know William Blake once said this :  "Milton was on Satan's side and didn't know it" but that is totally not the case with Dostoevsky. because there is no sympathy here but only cold data and statics.  
If you get the chance read about Dostoevsky's life, it's really fascinating. To give a quick summary, when he was young he was part of a liberal book group that would regularly meet and discuss ideas. the whole group was arrested by the Czar, sentenced to be executed, then at the last minute pardoned, only to be sent to live in a gulag for 5-10 years (The House of the Dead came from that experience, it's worth reading). After that there's a marked shift in his philosophy, becoming more obsessed with the idea of Russia and the importance of Christianity in it. He never went full Tolstoy, but the change is rather significant.

Zoladingoing

Quote from: firstcircle on April 17, 2015, 04:28:25 AM
Quote from: Zoladingoing on April 10, 2015, 10:16:51 AM
bought crime and punishment few years ago I know it is a decent book but for whatever odd reason never checked it out all this time. with Dostoevsky length won't be an issue as i finished before the brothers Karamazov and if I am not mistaken it was Dostoevsky longest works....wow that chapter the grand inquisitor, the information around us says that Dostoevsky was Christian but his use of Satan is nothing like Goethe or Baudelaire, even far away from Milton romantic framework (but I think Dostoevsky & Milton share the same political views) anyways Dostoevsky devil is rather based on "actual" facts such as the examination of conscience, psychology, sociology and herd mentality. what worse Dostoevsky let it seems like it is morally justified. I know William Blake once said this :  "Milton was on Satan's side and didn't know it" but that is totally not the case with Dostoevsky. because there is no sympathy here but only cold data and statics.  
If you get the chance read about Dostoevsky's life, it's really fascinating. To give a quick summary, when he was young he was part of a liberal book group that would regularly meet and discuss ideas. the whole group was arrested by the Czar, sentenced to be executed, then at the last minute pardoned, only to be sent to live in a gulag for 5-10 years (The House of the Dead came from that experience, it's worth reading). After that there's a marked shift in his philosophy, becoming more obsessed with the idea of Russia and the importance of Christianity in it. He never went full Tolstoy, but the change is rather significant.

that is true I think Dostoevsky just like Milton sometimes shared the same "wrongly accused of being heretical" political ideas or rather unpopular at the time. in Milton political writings for example once he argued that divorce was a private matter, not legal nor ecclesiastical (meaning relating to the Christian church or its clergy) which even back then in England considered dangerous. even in today England just imagine if some writer declared such views, his career would be totally ruined or least accused of being sexist or misogynist. back to Dostoevsky besides Christianity there is other interesting elements such as some heavy existentialism specially in notes from the underground which is also considered the first existentialist work ever. in the brothers Karamazov the themes were almost religious mixed with mysticism something similar to Emil Cioran early writings such as tears and saints which was not only Christian but rather a mystic religious writing in general since there was other elements of various religious teachings. 

Harcamone

I'm reading The Collected Poems of Ai. She taught poetry at Oklahoma State, of all places. All of her poems are about men and women hurting each other in horrible ways both physically and emotionally. Well, most of them ...

Starting Henry Miller's Sexus. I loved the Tropic books, Colossus, etc. so I'm sure this will be great as well.

Also about a quarter of the way through Alissa Nutting's Tampa. The main character is sort of a Debra LaFavre type, though I doubt LaFavre is as smart and/or ... i don't know ... weird and purely sociopathic .... as Nutting's character. She's turns a lot of poetic phrases and licks sunlight and all kinds of strange shit. A beach read if there ever was one. Uh huh. Especially in Florida.

ONE

Currently ploughing through I Will Bear Witness (1933 - 1941) by Viktor Klemperer, Jewish academic and diarist of the Nazi years.  Incredibly, he survived until the 60's.
resist the things you can find everywhere

cr

Just 50 pages into Michel Houllebecq's "The map and the territory". As I quite liked all his previous books, I also have high expectations on this one. Although I read something like that 'this book fills his friends with enthusiasm and reconciles his enemies'. - I hope not, but we'll see...

TS

Quote from: cr on May 14, 2015, 09:52:03 PM
Just 50 pages into Michel Houllebecq's "The map and the territory". As I quite liked all his previous books, I also have high expectations on this one. Although I read something like that 'this book fills his friends with enthusiasm and reconciles his enemies'. - I hope not, but we'll see...

Hah. It really takes some interesting twists and turns - and at times its very funny. I don't know if it reconciles his enemies, but it did fill me with enthusiasm.
Kropper uten Mellomrom

HongKongGoolagong

Just finished 'Smoking In Bed: Conversations With Bruce Robinson' by Alistair Owen - some very interesting subject matter in there.

Currently hooked and blown away by the ghostwritten George Jones autobiog ' "I Lived To Tell It All" which is reminding me very much of Mark E Smith's 'Renegade' - these old CnW guys of course can teach any rocker, jazzbo, punk or noise degenerate a thing or two about hardliving for-real art as lifestyle and lifestyle as art.

ONE

They say truth is stranger than fiction, I concur wholeheartedly.

Currently reading

Review

In many ways, this is a local book for local people.  I imagine few outside UK waters will have even heard of Savile (a man generally accredited w/ inventing the discotheque).  I couldn't do a description of him justice if I tried.  I'd recommend reading his wiki entry.

He was a Next-Level Predator

cantle

Will pick up a copy of that- I'm pretty local....

... met Savile when I was a kid- he was fine with me....

ONE

Quote from: cantle on July 11, 2015, 08:42:43 PM

met Savile when I was a kid

Care to elaborate on your meeting? 

cantle

Not much to say really.... was mid 80s so I would have been 7/8 years old, saw him at a road race where he was running for charity. Asked to have my picture taken with him (everyone watched Jim'll fix it back then), he made a joke or two and that was it, seemed really friendly to be honest.

The only odd thing about it was when the stories broke about him after his death I dug the old photo out, I'd forgotten that he had stood next to me but had also grabbed the hood of my coat as if he had caught me ... thought nothing of it at the time as it was typical for the jocular character he presented at the time but now his choice of pose has a different context....