What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

Really enjoying this. Brutal and excruciating memoir of obsession and satyriasis.

burdizzo

Tyr 3.
Nice to dip into when I get the time.

moozz

Edward Bulwer-Lytton: The Coming Race

Story of a race living inside the Earth. Supposedly inspired Hitler. I am just annoyed by a billion sentences glued together to make it at places very confusing. Readable books are the best.

cr

Started
Albert Speer: Inside the Third Reich
Interesting read so far.

selectivepestilence

On Pain- Ernst Junger
The Forest Passage- Ernst Junger

Junger wrote On Pain in 1934 after fighting in WWI and receiving medals for his injuries sustained in battle. I would recommend this to anyone looking into the metaphysics of pain as well as philosophical ideas related to the camera or lens that was becoming popularized at this time.

bub

I'm reading Elmore Lenard for a change of pace,
previously rereading Willian S Burroughs and William Gibson.

Mikerdeath

Bundy--The Deliberate Stranger Richard W. Larsen
"The bedspread had been pulled up over her, but Newkirk could see the gaping hole in her skull. "'Oh Sweet Jesus,"' he muttered. A nylon was wrapped so tightly around her throat, it looked like she had been decapitated. The wall was spattered with blood. (215)"

"Eventually The detectives reached a common interpretation: Bundy was telling them his "'problem'" was a need to possess, wholly control, dominate girls or women. They also concluded that Ted had been, as Chapman put it, "'a voyeur'" who furtively watched, savored,coveted unsuspecting young women. (233)"

"Was it a death wish? An Internal subconscious need to self-impose punishment? Or was it Ted's long-cultivated feeling of omnipotence? To play his thrilling drama on the most ominous of stages?(301)"

After reading Conversations With A Killer, The Only Living Witness, and The Stranger Beside Me; this is the best book on Bundy I have come across.

Written by a personal friend of Bundy's it sticks only to the facts and offers new insights the other books exclude. I could not put this down from the moment I picked it up and it taught me a lot.
I think this may be the best book on True Crime I have read. It's written very carefully and hold nothing back. Recommended for all readers.

cr

Peter Sotos: Special
That's the only Sotos book I know which was translated to German language, or are there any more?

FreakAnimalFinland

Ruotsin mafia (originally Svensk maffia: en kartläggning av de kriminella gängen)
Covers some early days, various smaller MC gangs, then Hells Angels, Bandidos, Wolfpack, immigrant gangs, dealers, little bit references for skinheads and such things. I have been mentioned it's not all accurate information, but I guess many of gangs live from mythological perception. Decent book all in all. Covers also some Denmark, Norway and Finland.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

xavier j watchirs

started albert camus - ''the outsider'' last night. enjoying it very much, but its short. dont know what i'll read next, any recommendations?

RyanWreck

A collection of essays and treatises on Aesthetics and the philosophy of art compiled by Cambridge. Specifically effective and entertaining are the works on the avant-garde and art as amusement and/or pleasure (Hume, Mill and Collingwood).

Fiction wise I just finished "Oblomov" which I didn't really care for; it felt like some Russian, 19th century version of Seinfeld. I've been reading a lot of the classic's of Gothic literature as well. "Melmoth The Wanderer" and "The Monk" were metal as fuck.

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on March 27, 2014, 02:32:47 AM
Gigantic image of James Ellroy book here

Really enjoying this. Brutal and excruciating memoir of obsession and satyriasis.

I read "My Dark Places" years ago but didn't get around to finishing it, but what I did read was absorbing. I didn't know much about him outside of his more popular works, which I had never read, and was surprised at his candid detailing about his paraphilias and other... patrician tastes.

martialgodmask

Anyone read this yet?:

I have Lords Of Chaos but haven't dipped back into it since first reading and know that there are plenty of detractors around that publication, but how does this one compare? There's on interview here on Heathen Harvest but to be honest it's a pretty dull read.

cr

marcel.kluza

Now I am reading a 50 shadows of Grey

this is hmm so different book, sometime I have to read something else than my interested

Anyone read this book? Any opinion?

bitewerksMTB

I've read 4 Dennis Lehane crime novels in the last week that I found covered in dust pushed back behind other books. Figured I'd re-read them before turning them in for credit at the local used bookstore:

A DRINK BEFORE THE WAR
DARKNESS TAKE MY HAND
SACRED
GONE, BABY, GONE

If you like hardboiled crime fiction then Lehane is definitely worth checking out:

"I'm talking to this snitch in the Somerville projects. I'm alone, and I hear this baby screaming. I mean screaming like he's being bitten by dogs. And the snitch, the people walking down the corridor, they don't hear it. They just don't hear it. 'Cause they hear it every day. So I tell the snitch to beat it, I follow the sound, kick in the door of this shit-smelling apartment, and I find him in the back. The place is empty. My son - and he is my son, Kenzie, fuck you if you don't think so - he's starving. He lying in a crib, six months old, and he's starving. You can see his ribs. He's fucking handcuffed, Kenzie, and his diaper is so filled it's leaking through the seams, and he's stuck - HE'S FUCKING STUCK TO THE MATTRESS, KENZIE!" - Dennis Lehane, "Gone Baby Gone"