What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

yep, that's him. He is a real professional. When you ask him things, he knows it all.
Bought several books from there. He would know things simply if I would forget what exactly I was after, and say "that finnish depressive poet" and he'd know it.
And I've gotten several freebies of all sorts. Old civil war red songs, ray bradbury books, etc. And scored various kinds of things from Linkola to old soviet avantgarde art related books etc. It's just a old style regular 2nd hand book store - but perhaps exactly because of that good place to visit.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Black_Angkar

I'm alwaysmultireading, which means all books take a little longer to finish. Right now there's been a lot of psychoanalytic writers, something I've widely ignored earlier but which recently started to draw my attention. It is uite entertaining to study these abstract systems of thought.

I started on Julia Kristevas "The Power of Horror: An essay on abjection" but I haven't gotten very far yet as it is quite dense.

Slavoj Zizeks "Survival in the endtimes" in which he describes the global crisis in terms of the stages of grief. Very entertaining. It's a brick of a book and I do enjoy it so far. The book is mostly spent dissecting capitalism and christianity in a humorous but sharp way. 

Also "Viennese Actionism" from some spanish publishing company. Over 400 pages, mostly photos - beautifull documentations, both b&w as well as many in vivid color, of their performances, each of the main artists get a lot of representation. Also original texts translated and transcribed, mostly from Muehl and Brus, but there is some from all. Relatively expensive but well worth it.

I try to re-read Kathy Acker's "Empire of the Senseless" every now and then, I love that book.
Also, Gene Wolfes "Book of the New Sun" one of my favourite sci-fi/fantasy, probably due to its many unconventional aspects.

Every now and then I also re-read Batailles "the eye", which is without doubt the most powerful reading revelation I've ever had. I'm lucky I first read as a teenager not really exposed to much of the things I've encountered after. That was probably the only time I ever felt sick (as in overridden) by a litterary experience.

tiny_tove

Quote from: Black_Angkar on July 05, 2012, 03:34:31 AM
Slavoj Zizeks "Survival in the endtimes" in which he describes the global crisis in terms of the stages of grief. Very entertaining. It's a brick of a book and I do enjoy it so far. The book is mostly spent dissecting capitalism and christianity in a humorous but sharp way. 

absolutely a must read. One of his best books.
He is always funny and thought provoking.

I am readying "L'aquila e il condor", by Stefano Delle Chiaie. Notorious right wing extremist who has been behind AVANGUARDIA NAZIONALE, a recurring name of the so called "lead years" we were talking about.

He gives his vision of those years trying to clean his organisation's name. Unfortunately with these biographies you never know how much you can trust, but the central part regarding his adventures in Africa, Latin America and Spain are absolutely a must for people interested in those years.

I am reading a bunch of books regarding the Balkan wars, too many to name, but the most interesting was "Processo agli scorpioni" (The scorpions trial), regarding the Serbian commando accused of some of the Srebrenica massacre. The group was accused after somebody found a video shot by one of them where they execute some Bosniacs -you can easily find it on line, just check Scorpioni or Skorpioni -
very interesting since it goes into details I missed in the video, since I do not speak Serbian language. The problem is that the author is a so-called "woman in black", so it is filled of pathetic feminist undertones, etc.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ARKHE

Also, Gene Wolfes "Book of the New Sun" one of my favourite sci-fi/fantasy, probably due to its many unconventional aspects.

Every now and then I also re-read Batailles "the eye", which is without doubt the most powerful reading revelation I've ever had.

A massive YES to Wolfe. One of the greatest reading experience I've encountered. "Urth of the New Sun", the fifth book, is astonishing. The Book of the Long Sun, set in the same universe as some sort of prequel or sequel (doesn't matter really) has been sitting in my bookshelf for way too long now. I'm getting to it...

Only read "The Eye" a year or two ago, but it is indeed a powerful experience.

On a lighter note, will check out Tony Iommi's autobiography from the library later today. There's so many books about Ozzy that I'd never want to read, finally the man himself gets one.

Black_Angkar

Quote from: ARKHE on July 05, 2012, 04:32:47 PM

A massive YES to Wolfe. One of the greatest reading experience I've encountered. "Urth of the New Sun", the fifth book, is astonishing. The Book of the Long Sun, set in the same universe as some sort of prequel or sequel (doesn't matter really) has been sitting in my bookshelf for way too long now. I'm getting to it...

Only read "The Eye" a year or two ago, but it is indeed a powerful experience.

Yes, especially the Urth of the New Sun makes this by far the most superior in its genre, archaic yet futuristic, in parts transgressive and very poetic. The apocalyptic parts are fantastic. I've not read the Book of the Long Sun either, but its been on my to read list forever.

The Blue of Noon and My Mother are other classics, which are not as deliriously written as the eye, but very good none the less.

Strömkarlen

Also "Viennese Actionism" from some spanish publishing company. Over 400 pages, mostly photos - beautifull documentations, both b&w as well as many in vivid color, of their performances, each of the main artists get a lot of representation. Also original texts translated and transcribed, mostly from Muehl and Brus, but there is some from all. Relatively expensive but well worth it.

Any links or any more info about the book?

Strömkarlen

Quote from: tiny_tove on July 05, 2012, 10:37:42 AM

I am readying "L'aquila e il condor", by Stefano Delle Chiaie. Notorious right wing extremist who has been behind AVANGUARDIA NAZIONALE, a recurring name of the so called "lead years" we were talking about.

He gives his vision of those years trying to clean his organisation's name. Unfortunately with these biographies you never know how much you can trust, but the central part regarding his adventures in Africa, Latin America and Spain are absolutely a must for people interested in those years.

In Italian only I presume? It's time to get back to the lead years. I found I file I made a couple of years ago the other day while cleaning at the office. I'm also interested in Fernand Legros http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernand_Legros and especially his contacts with right wing extremists in Latin America.

FreakAnimalFinland

There is no Gene Wolfe translations to Finnish - but the landmark series of 4 books starts this autumn. There was just article of him in Tähtivaeltaja magazine (long running sci-fi fanzine) with two short stories in Finnish.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Black_Angkar

Quote from: Strömkarlen on July 05, 2012, 05:50:10 PM

found it.

http://www.actar.com/index.php?option=com_dbquery&task=ExecuteQuery&qid=2&idllibre=4246&lang=en

As stated most photographic material from actions. Some facsimiles of original posters, some prints, sketches etc as well as some manifestos, short biographies etc. Found it in a venetian shop for art books (at some ehibition place). Unfortunately I missed an Nitsch exhibition going on at the time in Venice as well. 

Strömkarlen

Quote from: Black_Angkar on July 05, 2012, 08:24:32 PM
Quote from: Strömkarlen on July 05, 2012, 05:50:10 PM

found it.

http://www.actar.com/index.php?option=com_dbquery&task=ExecuteQuery&qid=2&idllibre=4246&lang=en

As stated most photographic material from actions. Some facsimiles of original posters, some prints, sketches etc as well as some manifestos, short biographies etc. Found it in a venetian shop for art books (at some ehibition place). Unfortunately I missed an Nitsch exhibition going on at the time in Venice as well. 

Thanks! I now realised that I passed on it because of the price and the fact that I already have the Ritter Verlag books on the boys from Vienna.

Black_Angkar

Quote from: tiny_tove on July 05, 2012, 10:37:42 AM

I am reading a bunch of books regarding the Balkan wars, too many to name, but the most interesting was "Processo agli scorpioni" (The scorpions trial), regarding the Serbian commando accused of some of the Srebrenica massacre. The group was accused after somebody found a video shot by one of them where they execute some Bosniacs -you can easily find it on line, just check Scorpioni or Skorpioni -
very interesting since it goes into details I missed in the video, since I do not speak Serbian language. The problem is that the author is a so-called "woman in black", so it is filled of pathetic feminist undertones, etc.

I am hardly ever bothered by any undertones, even blatant ones, as long as its well written. Have nothing against reading feminists either, as long as that the political agenda does not interfere with the litterary product, like the Linda Lovelace-book (the christian one). It can actually be quite interesting or at least entertaining to read about the same events from several opposing perspectives, and it is likely the best way to get a bigger picture.

Balkan seems to be an everlasting mix of conflicts which explodes from time to time. With their long and violent history I suppose things are extremely complicated, and very fascinating to study.

Black_Angkar

Quote from: Strömkarlen on July 05, 2012, 08:34:31 PM

Thanks! I now realised that I passed on it because of the price and the fact that I already have the Ritter Verlag books on the boys from Vienna.

There seems to be a increased amount of books published about the Actionists these day. Have you read the Ritter Verlag edition of Günter Brus "Irrwisch"? I only have an version in german, and I don't know german but I understand some and I MOSTLY bought it for the illustrations. Which of course, are quite self-explainatory...

tiny_tove

Quote from: Strömkarlen on July 05, 2012, 06:01:10 PM

In Italian only I presume? It's time to get back to the lead years. I found I file I made a couple of years ago the other day while cleaning at the office. I'm also interested in Fernand Legros http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernand_Legros and especially his contacts with right wing extremists in Latin America.

Yep, unfortunately it has just been released I must admit I am loosing myself a bit in the final chapters since he is quoting so many names that I can't follow. But still an impressive read.
Delle Chiaie came to talk with other lead years veterans in my hometown at 5 mins walk from my place, but I didn't know.
regarding the "Lead years" I will re-surrect the old thread during the week end with some goodies ;)

Never heard of Fernand Legros, I will definitely look into it.

@Black_Angkar
I agree with what you say regarding undertones, but If I buy a book regarding a specific tragic event, I don't want to reduce the Balkan wars to mere patriarchy reasons as it often she seems to suggest.
regarding the subject I have started the MASSIVE Joze Pirjevec's "Le guerre Jugslae" (Jugoslavian wars).over 700 pages covering the conflicts starting from 1991 to 1999.
If anybody has any decent book on the suject featuring many pictures, please tell me.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Strömkarlen

Quote from: tiny_tove on July 05, 2012, 09:52:56 PM
Quote from: Strömkarlen on July 05, 2012, 06:01:10 PM

Yep, unfortunately it has just been released I must admit I am loosing myself a bit in the final chapters since he is quoting so many names that I can't follow. But still an impressive read.
Delle Chiaie came to talk with other lead years veterans in my hometown at 5 mins walk from my place, but I didn't know.
regarding the "Lead years" I will re-surrect the old thread during the week end with some goodies ;)

Never heard of Fernand Legros, I will definitely look into it.

Looking forward to it! Fernand Legros is a strange character. He is mostly known for his involvement with arch-forger Elmyr de Hory but according to Henrik Krüger (do any of the Danes know if he is alive) he was a "playboy, millionaire, art dealer and CIA agent..."
http://jimhougan.com/wordpress/?tag=fernand-legros

Strömkarlen

Quote from: Black_Angkar on July 05, 2012, 08:54:47 PM
Quote from: Strömkarlen on July 05, 2012, 08:34:31 PM

There seems to be a increased amount of books published about the Actionists these day. Have you read the Ritter Verlag edition of Günter Brus "Irrwisch"? I only have an version in german, and I don't know german but I understand some and I MOSTLY bought it for the illustrations. Which of course, are quite self-explainatory...

I leafed through it while in Berlin earlier these year. In a way I think I have enough with the early Ritter books about WA and their Schwarzkogler book.