What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

The Magician on Amphetamine Sulphate. Very odd. Not 100% sure I really loved the last half of the book. I really enjoyed the first half. I didn't dislike it, but it was very anti-climactic and just sort of.... ended?

Reading Mutations by Sam McPheeters now. I read a couple chapters last night and really enjoyed it so far. He's a very funny writer and I'd be keen to read his fiction work.

Also about to start Kent State. Loved Backderf's other comics and I'm really looking forward to this one.

cr

Just reading Mars by Fritz Zorn

Short, but not so good description here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_(Zorn_book)

Eigen Bast

The Magician was strange. It went from brutal snuff film noir to like, suburban coming of age. End felt like something from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

NeroEllipsis

Quote from: holy ghost on September 18, 2020, 08:27:20 PM
Reading Mutations by Sam McPheeters now. I read a couple chapters last night and really enjoyed it so far. He's a very funny writer and I'd be keen to read his fiction work.

Got a spare, new and unread copy of this if anyone's interested. UK based. Open to offers. Message me here, cheers.

holy ghost

Quote from: Eigen Bast on September 20, 2020, 12:59:41 AM
The Magician was strange. It went from brutal snuff film noir to like, suburban coming of age. End felt like something from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Sabrina The Teenage Witch was a little more satanic and evil than the "climactic scene" of The Magician.

I didn't dislike it, it was a fast read and didn't involve too much of my time but it really changed gears about halfway through. I'd read more of his work, but yeah, it went from sort of a hallucinatory Ballardian story to..... not even sure what tbqh.

Atrophist

Read Harper: A Collection of Horrors, by Gunnar Njalsson. Came highly recommended, but was heavily let down. Not terrible, but rushed and amateurish. A passable Ligotti ripoff, but nothing more than that.  

Eigen Bast

Mutations was good, even when I find myself totally disagreeing with him a lot.

Reading the short story compilation "There is a Graveyard that Dwells in Man" put together by David Tibet. Pretty fun English horror. Most of it dances around either decadent purple prose or the hyper-wordiness of Manchen. Setting the mood for autumn. Also working through "Black Abbot, White Magic" by Frater Acher-a thorough history of Johannes Trismethius.

Nolan

Quote from: holy ghost on September 20, 2020, 06:13:09 PM
Quote from: Eigen Bast on September 20, 2020, 12:59:41 AM

Sabrina The Teenage Witch was a little more satanic and evil than the "climactic scene" of The Magician.

I didn't dislike it, it was a fast read and didn't involve too much of my time but it really changed gears about halfway through. I'd read more of his work, but yeah, it went from sort of a hallucinatory Ballardian story to..... not even sure what tbqh.

I was very meh on The Magician, but the short film and an essay he wrote about it put it into a better context for me.

Obetavá.Protivník

currently trudging through a combination of the Nag Hammadi Library and a couple supplementary theological texts on the self-imposed curriculum level, and finally reading Lovecraft for the first time on the more pleasurable end. tis the season.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Obetavá.Protivník on September 24, 2020, 10:17:56 PM
currently trudging through a combination of the Nag Hammadi Library and a couple supplementary theological texts on the self-imposed curriculum level, and finally reading Lovecraft for the first time on the more pleasurable end. tis the season.

Which Lovecraft are you reading?  He has a lot of great stories.

Obetavá.Protivník

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 25, 2020, 03:02:37 AM

it's an anthology, just wrapped up "The Outsider" then onto the very short "The Music of Erich Zann" and "Reanimator". i'm not much of a fiction person, but his writing style is ace. luxurious horror.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Obetavá.Protivník on September 25, 2020, 08:17:12 AM

it's an anthology, just wrapped up "The Outsider" then onto the very short "The Music of Erich Zann" and "Reanimator". i'm not much of a fiction person, but his writing style is ace. luxurious horror.

Cool.  I think I read "The Music of Erich Zann" some years ago, but am not sure about the others.  I really should get back into his writing, as it has been a while.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on September 25, 2020, 06:43:00 PM
Quote from: Obetavá.Protivník on September 25, 2020, 08:17:12 AM

Cool.  I think I read "The Music of Erich Zann" some years ago

Quoteand the frantic playing had become a blind, mechanical, unrecognisable orgy that no pen could even suggest
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Balor/SS1535

I just started Clive Barker's Books of Blood.  I have only read the introductory story, but I already enjoy it more that the other books of his that I have read.

Atrophist

Finally got Ted Chiang's Exhalation, was on the waiting list at the library for ages. SF doesn't get any better than Chiang's previous short stories, so looking forward to this a lot.