What are you reading

Started by Tenebracid, January 15, 2012, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashraf

On the nightstand are Mishima's Spring Snow and le Guin's Always Coming Home. Both incredible. My ability to read a book for more than 30 minutes is pitiful. I was a much better reader before iPhones and pads.

PuddysJacket

Quote from: holy ghost on March 26, 2019, 02:37:14 AM
I'm reading Red Sparrow - saw the move last year and it was pretty great, Book is 100x better. And there's three of them!

I had started Oathbringer - I really liked the last two books but I got pretty tired of it pretty quickly and set it down after 80 pages. Maybe if I'm like at a cottage it might be cool but I guess I'm starting to get tired of this wizards and ghouls shit.

Been reading Gene Wolfe lately and have needed a fantasy recommendation...might go with this since i kinda live in a cottage, which is much better for morale than 'plywood shack'

holy ghost

Quote from: PuddysJacket on April 08, 2019, 03:03:54 AMBeen reading Gene Wolfe lately and have needed a fantasy recommendation...might go with this since i kinda live in a cottage, which is much better for morale than 'plywood shack'

I really enjoyed the first two in this Sanderson series. This one just seemed kind of flat. Like holy fuck dude it's a book about furry singing mutants and bad weather. How could it possibly take 10 1500 page books?

PuddysJacket

holy ghost

I just read Red Sparrow which was EXCELLENT - enjoyable, lots of awesome spy shit. Very fun. Can't wait to read the other two books in the series.

I am reading Authority by Jeff Vandermeer, I really liked Annihilation, and I'm really liking this one. These books have pretty mixed reviews but I'm really into it.

I also just got the Goblin "Seven Notes In Red" in the mail and I'm really excited to start in on that. 600 pages of Goblin!!

Also I just bought Robert Crumb - Complete Weirdo Comics anthology and I'm really enjoying that. I don't know much about these kind of comics but I want to get more into this kind of UG comics stuff. I bought his Book of Genesis before and a book about his art exhibit but I'd be down to hear more suggestions, Crumb or otherwise.... Speigelman? I loved Maus and I'd love to get more of his stuff....

Eigen Bast

Quote from: holy ghost on April 19, 2019, 04:31:24 AM

Also I just bought Robert Crumb - Complete Weirdo Comics anthology and I'm really enjoying that. I don't know much about these kind of comics but I want to get more into this kind of UG comics stuff. I bought his Book of Genesis before and a book about his art exhibit but I'd be down to hear more suggestions, Crumb or otherwise.... Speigelman? I loved Maus and I'd love to get more of his stuff....

Highly recommend Mark Beyer. Depressive surrealist comix. His comic 'Agony' was recently reissued by NYRB but he has some other collections that are oop. He did a fantastic collaboration with Alan Moore called 'The Bowing Machine' that I'd recommend too. Spiegelman is a champion of his.

PuddysJacket

Love Crumb to death. There's a Dan Clowes book you might dig/love called Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron...really remarkable, dark, hallucinatory, funny book. Read it going on 17-18ish yrs ago now, and its still up there with anything in my mind, comics, lit, or otherwise.

Peterson

Fans of R. Crumb should also check out The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers by Gilbert Shelton, as well as his other work.

PuddysJacket

^ just added to my list, thanks

just finished The Phantom Blooper, the sequel to The Short Timers - the book Fuill Metal Jacket was based on. It's out of print but the PDF is available on slsk. Hands down the most underrated writer I've ever read.

It's based on actual newsweek reports of an American defector falling in with the Viet Cong. Unbelievably fucking great read.

Lazrs3

Quote from: Force Neurotic on May 06, 2019, 10:04:59 PM
Fans of R. Crumb should also check out The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers by Gilbert Shelton, as well as his other work.

I have or had? a few comics of Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comics, they were ace.

I am re-reading the American chapter in Fight Your Own War.

Hemwick

Clive Barker Imajica.   Third time reading it and everytime it hits me so hard and the emotions never change for me.  Clive is my favorite author he has such an imagination.  I like his work more when we broke out of just writing Horror. His fantasy writing is some of my favorite.

moozz

Halfway through the approx 2000 pages of Peter F. Hamilton's Void trilogy. Great science fiction. Half of the chapters are dreams of old days in some mystical reality and those parts are sometimes even better than the events in the distant future.

cr

Cioran - The evil demiurge
Read this several times already,  but today I started from the last page and it immediately punched me in the stomach.
" We are all deep in a hell each moment of which is a miracle."

holy ghost

Just finished Acceptance - last book in the Southern Reach trilogy. I liked the series a lot. It was pretty fucking weird. Authority was my least favorite and Annihilation/ Acceptance were much more interesting but I get all three were relevant to tie everything together. I mean did it really tie everything together? I have no idea.

Also reading Goblin - Seven Notes in Red

Next up I have Ligotti "Songs of a Dead Dreamer", Ballard "The Crystal World" and Charles Burns Black Hole graphic novel.

Bloated Slutbag

I try to keep up with new developments in science and recently read this paper published in the Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine

"Similar mechanisms of traumatic rectal injuries in patients who had anal sex with animals to those who were butt-fisted by human sexual partner"

From the abstract-

QuoteAmong zoophiles, the mode of harm occurs through blood-engorged, interlocked penis that causes tissue lacerations upon retraction from an anus. In people experimenting with fisting, repetitive stretching within anal canal and of external sphincter causes the internal injuries. The mode of physical stimulation explains the extent of injuries in fisters vs. zoophiles: in fisting, the pressure applied by hand is controllable proximally around and within anal sphincter, while penetration by the animal penis is unpredictable and occurs within the proximal anal canal.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag