TRUE CRIME & RELATED

Started by tiny_tove, February 23, 2010, 03:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitewerksMTB

http://swordandscale.com/sword-and-scale-episode-20/

'A good whack to the back of the head preferable with a blackjack.'

bitewerksMTB

Anyone have recommendations on serial killer/sex crime books? I just ordered "On the Farm" about Robert Pickton. I'm sure there's a bunch of titles I'm unaware of ,especially from the UK, published in the last six or seven years. I'm watching a couple of books on eBay about Jack the Stripper (see the Sotos thread in the classified forum) and there's one or two more on Pickton I've been looking at for awhile but never gotten around to ordering.

Has anyone been watching "The Killing Season" on A&E? A couple of, sort of, hipster investigators try to connect every single hooker killed in the U.S. to the Long Island Serial Killer. Basically, the premise is that there are an ungodly amount of active serial killers working all over the place, all the time, and they all know each other. A woman disappears= serial killer. And cops don't care, they're incompetent &  the women as nothing but drug addict trash...

absurdexposition

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 08, 2016, 08:58:28 PM
Anyone have recommendations on serial killer/sex crime books? I just ordered "On the Farm" about Robert Pickton. I'm sure there's a bunch of titles I'm unaware of ,especially from the UK, published in the last six or seven years. I'm watching a couple of books on eBay about Jack the Stripper (see the Sotos thread in the classified forum) and there's one or two more on Pickton I've been looking at for awhile but never gotten around to ordering.

Curious to know how On the Farm reads. I grew up in that area and remember the ongoing evening news reports of the arrest / trial / conviction.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Peterson

QuoteAnyone have recommendations on serial killer/sex crime books?

I recommend:

"Green River, Running Red" by Ann Rule - Gary Ridgway (this book is so fucking bleak)
"The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule - Ted Bundy
"The Night Stalker" by Philip Carlo - Richard Ramirez (read this listening to Slayer hot summer nights)
"When The Monster Comes Out Of The Closet" by Lori Steinhorst - Westley Allan Dodd
"Female Serial Killers" by Peter Vronsky (read this while watching Monster and drinking alcohol)
"No Mercy" by John Walsh (this has some of the most violent descriptive paragraphs ever. Brutal.)
"Lost Girls" by Robert Kolker (if you like the trashiness of the L.I.S.K. case then go for it)
"The Franklin Coverup" by John W. DeCamp (child abuse conspiracy stuff)
"Streetwalker" by anonymous (prostitution memoir, jaded with some very sad parts, again, trashiness)
"A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Lee Dugard (kidnapping memoir written by survivor/victim. Explicit, sad and brutal)
"My Story" by Elizabeth Smart (same deal, but I really like what Jaycee has to say whereas this is just a book)
"Serial Killers: In Their Own Words" by Tom Philbin (more of an anthology of writings by serial killers, absolutely explicit and brutal, contains extensive section on Dodd)
"Talking With Serial Killers" by Christopher Berry-Dee (revealing information that lead to developments in cases, plus he thinks that Doug Clark is innocent and I wonder about that)
"The Serial Killer Whisperer" by Anthony Ciaglia (downright bizarre story about a teenage kid with brain injury who starts impersonating Elvis and writing to serial killers - this led to developments in the Bobby Joe Long case which I think is referenced on a couple Taint releases. One of the most entertaining books I've ever read)
"Predators" by Anna C. Sauter, PhD (this one is hefty with sad parts and such explicit brutality. Holy shit)
"Tiger, Tiger" by Margaux Fragoso (very explicit and bleak memoir of a woman's "romantic"/sexual relationship with the man who molested her for years)

Many of those you can find for less than five bucks and often at a thrift store or whatever. Might sound cheap but most of them are well-written and informative, with the ones that are not (Lost Girls, No Mercy) have a pretty interesting atmosphere to them and plenty of detail.

david lloyd jones

Has anyone been watching "The Killing Season" on A&E? A couple of, sort of, hipster investigators try to connect every single hooker killed in the U.S. to the Long Island Serial Killer. Basically, the premise is that there are an ungodly amount of active serial killers working all over the place, all the time, and they all know each other. A woman disappears= serial killer. And cops don't care, they're incompetent &  the women as nothing but drug addict trash...

will try to sort list of recent uk books on topic..
jack the stripper is obscure, even in uk. there are two books on him as true crime and one as faction.
original crime book is rare-written by uk tabloid journalist.
recent 'jack of jumps' should be easier to get and is more expressionistic, forget the title and author of the fiction, but will look up.
this was likely Stuart home or cath unsworth

Marko-V

Hunting Humans: An Encyclopedia of Modern Serial Killers (1990) is all I need. Compact and precise. Really don't need to read hundreds of pages about some homicidal bed-wetter's psychological turmoils.

HongKongGoolagong

Anyone have recommendations on serial killer/sex crime books?

People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Lloyd Parry, about the Korean-Japanese rapist and killer Joji Obara. It's a kind of literary true crime book in the tradition of Norman Mailer and Gordon Burn's stuff, and it's very well done indeed - doesn't skimp on any unpleasant details and the fact that the guy really can put a sentence together makes it much more powerful than the usual Ann Rule or Wensley Clarkson trash.

aububs

just read The People Who Eat Darkness earlier this year and yes it's great. And anyone i've recommended it to has thought the same.

don't think it was mentioned above but Final Truth: Autobiography of a Serial Killer by Donald Gaskins is probably one of the most repulsive things i've ever read.

bitewerksMTB

I doubt I have the Gaskins book but I use to. He was rather extreme; he's the one who raped a newborn infant, right? After killing its mother... I'll have to check the local used bookstore to see if they have a copy.

The People Who Eat Darkness is on eBay for a reasonable price so I'll order a copy soon.

I have an early hardcover edition of The Sexual Criminal. I think I may have his other book, too, but it doesn't have any of the pretty pictures.

totalabuse

Highly recommend "Finding Jacob Wetterling: The 27-year investigation from kidnapping to confession" by Robert M. Dudley

https://www.amazon.com/Finding-Jacob-Wetterling-Investigation-Kidnapping/dp/1476668922

aububs

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 12, 2016, 01:12:17 AM
I doubt I have the Gaskins book but I use to. He was rather extreme; he's the one who raped a newborn infant, right? After killing its mother

yup that's him.

Peterson

Guy I knew, used to hang out with - "victim of gun violence." One thing they neglect - he fucking got road rage and attacked the guy with a knife before getting shot.

http://gunmemorial.org/2016/12/25/graeme-whinery

david lloyd jones

what cracked me up was the 'do you have a better photo of graeme' under his pic

.:Will:.

12 year old Katelyn Nicole Davis committed suicide and streamed in live on Facebook.

Link to her bio and a brief explanation of the story etc:
https://www.everipedia.com/katelyn-nicole-davis/

Link to the actual suicide video:
https://www.everipedia.com/katelyn-nicole-davis/36062448/