Hijokaidan

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 25, 2011, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slayerhatesusall

Quote from: Otomo_Hava on July 05, 2014, 02:54:51 PM
Has anyone got Hijokaidan's The Original Album Remaster Edition 13CD Box Set?

Any personal reviews about Hijokaidan's Gokuaku No Kyoten (10MC / 11CD+DVD Reissue)?
Is it worth to have it?

I would also like to know if anyone else has these 2 sets, is the sound on the remaster edition good compared to the older versions? What is the packaging like? Is the Gokuaku no Kyoten set worth getting? They appear to be limited numbered editions, so how many copies of each were made?

slayerhatesusall

Quote from: slayerhatesusall on May 29, 2015, 02:02:16 PM

I would also like to know if anyone else has these 2 sets, is the sound on the remaster edition good compared to the older versions? What is the packaging like? Is the Gokuaku no Kyoten set worth getting? They appear to be limited numbered editions, so how many copies of each were made?

I ordered these sets and they came today. The packaging on the Gokaku no Kyoten set is a very nice and large glossy box, the cds come in slim cases and a booklet in japanese and postcards. The Original album remastered edition box comes in a thick glossy box that houses the individual remastered cds which are in jewel cases w/ obi strips and sealed individually. My Gokuaku no Kyoten set is numbered 494 and the album box is number 228. Haven't listened to them yet so I can't tell how good the sound is compared to the older releases (I don't have the older releases so can't compare the sound anyway. 2 of them didn't exist on cd before also)

Kayandah

Digging out this old thread, I have been working through the numerous collaborations Hijokaidan have embarked on. what was at first interesting - Jazz Hijokiadan - is becoming diluted, especially by the collabs with girl groups that offer little beyond novelty value (and i say that as a fan of AKB48 and noise). The Togawa Kaidan studio/live collabs are better. For noise sake the collabs with Nihilist Spasm band and Nasca Car are a lot better and I've yet to listen to the one with Yoshihide Otomo but ultimately are any of them essential? Do any stand up to their main discography?

What do others think?

marxthemarx

Reviving this thread because I've been listening to The Noise, taking notes in order to write a review about it. Personal project, because I didn't see anyone doing some more in depth analysis about it, it's always "omg 30 cds?! the guts! so extreme! it must be 10/10", which is a shame since it's extremely varied. For example, CD4 is pretty much free jazz, has some feedback and synth wooshs, but nothing you would really classify as noise, rather a very noisy free improv, much like Masayuki Takayanagi. Has steady rhythms, even acoustic piano. Also features a more tame version of a track that apperars on Zoroku no Kibyo (it's a Faust cover, no less). It's pretty great. I really liked CD3 too, a live performance during the "Original Hijokaidan" era. Very primitive, but that's what I like about it.

And there are so many more good stuff to cite, but I'm still to finish it all. But there is this specific performance that intrigues me alot: CD23, track 1 is live at Connecticut, USA, November, 2000. Interesting performance. A woman introduces the band, sings acapella, and then they proceed to play some j-pop/enka/whatever, clean guitars and all. It's not Junko, because later, when the piece turns to noise, there are two women screaming, and you can tell Junko apart. I'm guessing it's Miki Sawaguchi, because around the same time she collaborated with Jojo and company elsewhere. It's also notable because it goes to show that Hijokaidan collaborations with Miku and j-pop groups has some form of precedent. Anyway, the rest of the line-up seems to feature a second guitarrist and a drummer whose name I couldn't really make out during the introduction. The boxset insert has no specific info about this era, by the way, just "did not have many live shows in 2000".

Does anyone got any info on this show? Couldn't find anything, other than a photo, which seems to feature this presumed line-up, but no credits, no date, no info. I remeber Noisextra episode with GX, where there are some talks about early Japanoise shows in the US, but I can't recall if they talk about this show in particular, gotta relisten.

But again, anyone know anything about this show?

FreakAnimalFinland

Two days ago I was reading so many praising texts about this maintream success gaining Lorna Shore, taking a listen and thinking what a god damn rackets people listening these days! Then pouring myself whiskey and starting to listen Hijokaidan. More precisely SPECULUM KAIDANCD , that is 1992 Jojo, Junko and Romero. Nice half an hour noise blast and screams.
Next day started with watching CCCC + Hijokaidan live at Italian TV 1997 couple of times. It is so insane, one would hope this would really be popular for real. I wouldn't mind this type of thing becoming viral in tiktok instead saviors of metal music..
https://youtu.be/bs3GcoZ-ecs

Continueing with Hijokaidan The Lord of the Noise" CD+DVD  
great stuff. Compilation of various things.

Then "The Neverending Story of King Of Noise" 4xCD box set.
Curious thing is that Lord of the noise and Neverending... starts with same track. And that despite being Hijokaidan, in couple of seconds I'd recognize its the same "song", and just confirmed from covers I ain't mistaken. Their earliest recordings, and already distinctive style.
I got the copy #51 of this edition of 500, that came out in 1992. Got it later on, as it was long sold out when I had money to buy this kind of things. I guess about 10 years later. Two first disc of box are kind of best of old stuff and 3rd & 4th latest stuff (back then). 3rd disc is phenomenal and 4th cd playing now... excellent. Liner notes are also curious, as at this moment Kosakai is credited as guest member from CCCC / Incapacitants.
It is excellent noise all the way, but also such a reminder how this, and Merzbow Metalvelodrome 4xCD where like HUGE almost unbelievable anomalies in harsh noise. 1992 - box set consisting 4 CD's! It feels little funny now, when CD box set is nothing unusual. Back then, I almost could not believe there was "noise CD", but also that multiple disc boxes! I wonder what was the first 4xCD (or bigger) noise box?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net