Hijokaidan

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 25, 2011, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

"Sugar sugar candy pop, just don't let the music stop". Unfortunately I do remember the Scottish Bis, and I found their work more painful and offensive than any amount of PE and noise. Their horrible and foul music - pretentious in the real sense of the word, since pop music didn't come naturally to them and their image was very contrived - used to make me feel despair. Funny what gets under your skin.

Cementimental

Quote from: AWWFN on September 24, 2013, 12:33:01 AM
Weirdly there's a band from Glasgow called Bis who got really big in Japan in the mid-90s.  One of the members used to work in Missing Records and said that Japanese teenagers came all the way over to the UK and found out where he lived, they stayed at his mum's house for the night.  I think he took them to a Celtic match or something.  Wonder if they took the name from that.
Interesting, not sure but I have a copy of this split 7" with the 90's Bis and Merzbow (!) so there's definitely been some historical noise/japan/pop crossover that could have some connection :)

AWWFN

Yeah they were completely shite.  The singer actually sold her record collection into my shop a few months ago, surprisingly had quite a lot of decent bits and bobs in it!
If you're after a copy of the Merzbow 7" (it was a double now I remember with a couple more bands), they turn up in Glasgow's record shops all the time for bugger all, I'll keep an eye out.

Cementimental

Yeah, I recently got a copy from the bargain box of the label's stall at Independent Labels Market thing. :)

FreakAnimalFinland

Hijokaidan VOD box, which is basically 250x membership edition = extended version of Zouroku No Kibyou. Just double LP with one extra LP with two live gigs. Anyways, since I got the original LP and CD, it has been in my shelves since 2006, unopened, unplayed. Today finally rotated all sides (not the live dvd, though..) and god damn! Zouroku No Kibyou is good as always. There is this king of noise element of course, but nearly kraut rock kind of feel on few occasions. But when turning to bonus LP, with two live gigs... Hellish storm hits in! It's just total utmost noise blast. Especially b-side with lots of feedback (well, as always) and screaming takes this far away from "free improv" side, into total harsh noise blast, what infact could even satisfy some fans of early days SJ due combination of loud feedback, vocals and noise. Excellent!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Marko-V

Quote from: AWWFN on September 24, 2013, 12:33:01 AM
Think I've had the 30-CD boxset for three years now and I'm still not sure if I ever got all the way through it.  Three discs in one day is as good as I've managed, which is pretty good going I reckon.

Indeed. I've had that 30 CD box also shelved in my room for a couple of years and just last week I listened to last cd's. I am not sure I have stamina to listen that extra mp3 disc included for a while (12 albums worth of Hijokaidan). Even though I like the sheer energy and chaos they make, somehow it is quite hard to digest in bigger doses. Some of the stuff on that box set is simply brilliant but some is... well, not so enjoyable. Maybe it is the shrieking (or occasional lack of focus) that annoyes me. As far as I like the extreme manifestations of human voice, Junko's screaming just doesn't do it for me. Apart from that I was surprised how much I enjoyed Junko's "Sleeping beaty" in the disc 28!

Otomo_Hava

Has anyone got Hijokaidan's The Original Album Remaster Edition 13CD Box Set?

Otomo_Hava

Any personal reviews about Hijokaidan's Gokuaku No Kyoten (10MC / 11CD+DVD Reissue)?
Is it worth to have it?

FreakAnimalFinland

THE NOISE 30xCD box finally listened through. Some discs more than once, but mostly once per disc. I can say that 2 last discs are clearly least good. Especially final disc seems like finally being moment when they ran out of good stuff to be on box. It's kind of lame that so amazing box ends into pretty useless nonsense. There was SOB-Kaidan stuff in #29, not sure what is this last? Kenbaku-Kaidan?? Some not-so-interesting collaboration nevertheless.

All in all, box is most definitely worth to get. It's nearly all gold.

I thought I should now start to go through Merzbox that's been sitting in shelves since... 2005.. with merely 3 discs listened from it, but now I feel like some shorter stuff between these, hah...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Marko-V

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 11, 2014, 03:16:11 PM
I thought I should now start to go through Merzbox

I was just thinking of giving it a second round.

urall

Junko is playing today in Belgium at the Harbinger sound clash - for those who should be in the neighbourhood
http://dekreun.be/live/event/harbinger_soundclash_vol_2/

l.b.

does anyone know if there's a connection between jazz/improv guitarist Masayuki Takayanagi aka 'Jojo' and Jojo Hiroshige of Hijokaidan? He plays a nasty electric guitar, and bears a passing resemblance to the younger Jojo. Or is it just coincidence?

acsenger

Listened to the King of Noise CD today, and maybe because I was tired (music has a slightly different impact on me when I'm sleep-deprived), I found it nearly unlistenably harsh! Especially track 4 (charmingly titled Self-Mutilation) was torturous: painful high-pitched feedback along with guitar noise and occasional yapping vocals (which I could do without) for 10+ minutes. Even Snuff is not as painful, I think... Track 1 has some random drums and the other tracks are just guitar and electronics.There's not much in the way of composition throughout the album, just maximum noise damage. It's one hell of a listen for sure.

Bleak Existence

Zeno Marx

Heads up.  Shared on the Dime-a-Dozen tracker today:  HIJOKAIDAN featuring ATSUHIRO ITO - 2015-03-21 - LEVERKUSEN, KaW - Multiple Tap/Japanese Art Festival
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.