Hijokaidan

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 25, 2011, 12:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 07, 2012, 10:49:29 AM
Alchemy did announce that they quit. Jojo still sold plenty of stock in ebay etc. I don't think there would be interest to reprint stuff, when main reason for folding label was - I think, small to nonexistent sales?

So, Japan, very big country with "industrial/noise past" has not any serious label with that music now. Very strange...

FreakAnimalFinland

Lust Vessel goes on. Dogma Chase continues, I think. Xerxes has done something now and then. Monotype and Teito might probably do things still. Dotsmark too has done new things. Not to mention the older ones like PSF and Omega Point and others who are still around, although not really "industrial/noise".

But I think this is very easy example of fragility of "noise infrastructure". It is really based on handful of people, and most often nobody will fill the gap. When big/legendary label is gone, it's gone, and it might change the nature of "scene" in many ways.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 07, 2012, 03:09:27 PM
Lust Vessel goes on. Dogma Chase continues, I think. Xerxes has done something now and then. Monotype and Teito might probably do things still. Dotsmark too has done new things. Not to mention the older ones like PSF and Omega Point and others who are still around, although not really "industrial/noise".

Yes, there are some, but their status is simillar, or even less like IMPULSY STETOSKOPU in Europe :) DOGMA CHASE was hopeful, but from two years they didn't issue any item. MONOTYPE and TEITO very simillar. LUST VESSEL isn't regular and just started after few years. This is very strange  because I sell the most my items just to Japan.

P A N I C

I've recently (and embarrassingly late) come to appreciate Hijokaidan when I bought Modern. I'd come to know them through ZnK and Tapes, and while I felt both were good noise records (with especially Tapes displaying some true greatness) it never seemed the type of sound I was looking for. So, bought Modern blind and was absolutely blown away. What a fantastic fucking record! Was reading up on the canon thread over at Troniks where Modern was listed and described as "where they started hitting their stride", with subsequent releases Romance and Windom as the middle and conclusion to an officious trilogy of brilliance that Modern kicked off. Needless to say, purchasing Romance and Windom is now the highest priority for me! I was wondering however if anyone could shed some light on originals vs reissues vs remasters (where applicable). For instance, I bought the Modern reissue from 1994 without really thinking there could be any difference there but later wondered if there is any. E.g. Romance seems to be available both in original edition (1990) and as remastered edition (2006). Can anyone tell me what the differences are, and which you consider the better option? Thanks a ton!

P A N I C

Went ahead and ordered the 2006 edition of Romance; not really sure if it matters, and if it does I'll eventually grab a 1990 disc, too.

/edit/

And just ordered Windom. Discogs lists only one edition - has this not been reissued/remastered/re-etc'd?

acsenger

QuoteAnd just ordered Windom. Discogs lists only one edition - has this not been reissued/remastered/re-etc'd?

I'm pretty sure Windom and Noise From Trading Cards were only released once.

As to your other question asking about the differences between the original releases and the remastered ones, it seems no one those albums in both versions... if you do get any of them in both versions, let us know how they compare!

Bloated Slutbag

Windom, Romance, and, especially, Noise From Trading Cards, seriously pale in comparison to Modern. I can`t imagine a remaster making much difference in any respect, but I too would love to stand corrected.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Cementimental

Quote from: acsenger on June 12, 2012, 04:42:56 PM

I'm pretty sure Windom and Noise From Trading Cards were only released once.

Pretty sure the latter at least was rereleased on their MP3 Collection disk if that counts?

P A N I C

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 12, 2012, 06:19:47 PM
Windom, Romance, and, especially, Noise From Trading Cards, seriously pale in comparison to Modern. I can`t imagine a remaster making much difference in any respect, but I too would love to stand corrected.
I don't have any different versions yet, so I can't say anything (yet) about any differences - though indeed I can't imagine they'll be grave. Romance I still have on order (something went wrong with the payment, so I should finally get it this week) so I haven't heard it yet; as for Windom and Modern though - as much as I dig Windom it has NOTHING on Modern. Windom is a great noise record. Modern is fucking perfect.

P A N I C

Received Romance, dig it (even if it has absolutely nothing on Modern either). I love the balls-out 1-hour+ assault of both discs compared to the the shorter cuts on Windom. Romance seems to take a while to really gain momentum but when it has done so (I really settled into it around the 30-minute mark) it's absolutely fantastic. Also received Polar Nights Live, and shorter cuts though it may contain I think it's brilliant, too (and decidedly better than Windom). I don't know, has Windom been too hyped for me? Can't live up to expectations? Don't get me wrong, it's a great harsh noise disc, but I can't see how it can compare to Modern first and foremost, and Romance and Polar Nights Live to a smaller degree (just for the record, I think Windom is vastly superior to most early 80s Hijokaidan material). Regardless, from a fairly superficial appreciation of Hijokaidan based on ZnK/Tapes I have come to fully, deeply, devotedly love this group, currently perhaps more so than any other HN-outfit. Anyone have any follow-up recommendations based on my current listening? Trading Cards, Last Recording Album? What other Hijokaidan would you say is truly essential (and worth shelling out for - these and a couple of other seem to go for $40-$50 minimum)?

Bloated Slutbag

"The Ferocity Of Practical Life" looks like yet another Live At Antiknock session - Kosakai on electronics and vocals, Akita on drums - but is much harsher and puritannical in its presentation. And fortunately, the drums are severely buried beneath all the comressed layers of feedback and screaming. The harsh levels achieve an approapriate peak, and do not simply rest on that wonderful summit but work their way through several deformations which serve to further accentuate the ample scorcheries. Essential.

"Sound Of Bay Area", from The Land of The Rising Sun compilation, is a five-minute dose of utmost brutality. Just the Jojo Junko Mikawa trio here, but absolutely at the top of their game. Very well recorded, capturing a more full-bodied Kaidan - to serve as a nice salvo to the almost monophonic Ferocity, above*. (Most of the rest of the comp is crap, the Aube is just Au.K., the Merz is crap, Agencement great but brief... but the Haino track is superb, an extended piece of agitated bowed squawk.)

*EDIT "the almost monophonic" production values do tend to heighten the harshitudes, so no complaints. Perhaps all true harsh noise should be remastered in mono...
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Repost of a Hijo Soddymizing from the Reviews thread. Neither a search for "Hijokaidan" nor one for "Borbetomagus" returned this posting so I must be doing something wrong. To exacerbate things, general ignorance means I couldn't link directly to the post either. If someone could sort that this repost could be trimmed...

I've in any event taken the liberty of snipping off the retarded opening lines:

Borbetomagus & Hijokaidan Both Noises End Burning
Somehow, when the names Mikawa and Borbetomagus come together, I tend to think of Borbeto's seminal "Live In Tokyo". Least representative of the Borbeto back catalog, it is (or was) also the heaviest slab of auricular suffocation on offer under that conglomeration. Less harsh in terms of earhole scorchification per dB, and less of that patented piercing snuffsax-squeal, but so dense and multitextured in its slowly billowing elaborations.

Both Noises score their delights under the influence of similar perv-visions. Not overtly brutal by the enregalled standards enshrined in the respective Hijo-Borbeto canons, but almost gentle, pliable, yielding an inverted harsh curve that saturates via remarkably wide-ranging folds of blushing color, wet-lipped warmth, and slithering, spermatozoan, starspace. Individual elements crowd the periphery, leaving a giant gaping howl that just sucks the enraptured worshipper straight into the hole-liest of char-blackened gasp and shiver, bathing the proceedings with other-wordly, bung-tingling, saxdrone-slather. A dizzying, near phantasmagorical miasma of constantly evolving, errupting, fading, flowing; of deformation and deviation, of shade and shadow, of puke and splooge, skullfuck and sphinct-suct. Words beyond the aforementioned Hallowed Fornication scarcely seem to be worth the bother of writing let alone reading.

But if I had to break it down in terms for the layperv, I'd say that the overall sound palate is not unlike late eighties early nineties Hijokaidan live recordings at Antiknock, the continuous, severely pitched, shriek-screech backdrop enlivened by periodic flashes of brilliance wherein the already blistering intensity seems to shred itself a new one. I'd say the overall progression is not unlike live Incapacitants, burgeoning layers somehow finding ever more ferocious plateaus and finally brimming in  the closing quarter with utterly jaw-dropping, show-stopping, shit-eat-grinning overmass of auricular overbilge. And I'd say the deft sense of wide-open space and bottomless texture giving birth to something palpable yet unworldly, all amid the cacaphonous shitstorm of the seasoned blowhard, well, that's pure Borbetomagus.

ANALysis:

Primal screechery diffuses across a broadened, mult-tiered, swathe, ceding Harshness to near ambiance, nicely separated, crystalline, textural elements pushing Rawness gradations down through smooth, grit-filtered flavorings that one mainly tastes in passing. Craftsmanship might be scored high on the basis of sustained interest, micromovements as readily entered as expunged, attempts to sanitize macrofornicated by the sheer beastly size of this mother. Savaged sensibilities then entertain a Spasticity most subtle: few surprises proper await, yes, yet yeti-like footsies stomp all over yer dong-pronged nethermosts, the insistent incoherencies anti-heretical as ill-articulated verbiage discharges diarhettic, starbursts flashing wet and wild through roasted channel pan. Sheer numbers - Mikawa Jojo Junko Shibata Sauter Dietrich Miller - would doubtless dictate the Densities desired, at least on paper, but mixmaster-san's zeal to represent each component particle serves mainly to confuse or displace rather than inundate. No complaints, just sayin'. But just try following bansheed Junko shriek through Jojo'd jet engine wheeze through Miller-tinged sputterfuzz sewage funnels through alternately droning and squawking drainland sax-or-not overtones, all seemingly under control of The Mikawa. Fuck it, I'm through with this shit. Anybody helps me now! Harmonicaness wins the day.
And take you for a drag

no_progress

Quote from: P A N I C on June 17, 2012, 09:33:12 PM
Received Romance, dig it (even if it has absolutely nothing on Modern either). I love the balls-out 1-hour+ assault of both discs compared to the the shorter cuts on Windom. Romance seems to take a while to really gain momentum but when it has done so (I really settled into it around the 30-minute mark) it's absolutely fantastic. Also received Polar Nights Live, and shorter cuts though it may contain I think it's brilliant, too (and decidedly better than Windom). I don't know, has Windom been too hyped for me? Can't live up to expectations? Don't get me wrong, it's a great harsh noise disc, but I can't see how it can compare to Modern first and foremost, and Romance and Polar Nights Live to a smaller degree (just for the record, I think Windom is vastly superior to most early 80s Hijokaidan material). Regardless, from a fairly superficial appreciation of Hijokaidan based on ZnK/Tapes I have come to fully, deeply, devotedly love this group, currently perhaps more so than any other HN-outfit. Anyone have any follow-up recommendations based on my current listening? Trading Cards, Last Recording Album? What other Hijokaidan would you say is truly essential (and worth shelling out for - these and a couple of other seem to go for $40-$50 minimum)?

Based on current listening...?  well it looks like you covered most of the "all out noise" era stuff there.   You'll probably want to pick up "Shumatsu Shorijo" as it sounds closest to the later work like "...Trading Cards" but not as full-on.     But I think every Hijokaidan release is essential [maybe except "The neverending story..." since those tracks were issued previously or afterwards..]

My personal favourite has to be "Viva Angel", yes apart from the opening track which seems to be kind of stupid [even by Hijokaidan's low standards..] then it goes through the relatively peaceful tracks [sounds like being in a cave somewhere] before the chaotic ~24 minute closer which tops everything else [in that way it sort of reminds me of "White Light/White Heat"..]

P A N I C

Thanks (any continued advice and recommendations still highly appreciated!)! Picked up Viva Angel, Tapes and Last Recording Album now and have Noise from Trading Cards coming in the mail. Shumatsu-Shorijo is going higher up the want list - hadn't really seen it discussed extensively anywhere yet so didn't know anything about it. From the looks of it I'll try and eventually get my grubby hands on everything - as much as the all out noise era seems to be my favourite I'm finding increasingly much to appreciate in 'other' works. Viva Angel is surprisingly awesome. From descriptions I'd read (Mikawa's own, mainly) I expected something way too silly but it decidedly isn't. The opening track is pretty stupid, but I like it nonetheless - the title track is probably what I like least on there. Still, great atmosphere, ace material I don't think I can describe more accurately than you just did. The B-side, with brilliant title and all, is absolutely fantastic and a pretty good precursor for Modern-Romance-(Windom). Evidently not as dense or harsh as any of those three, but certainly a good, extended chunk of noisiness. Love it!

Gave Last Recording Album only a single spin so far so it'll need many more for it to truly sink in, but a good disc overall with a drummer I thought fit the band much better than Akita did on Windom. Seems to be on the harsher end of the Hijokaidan catalogue though it's not as steady and relentless as material that (for now) I think is superior. If I were to impose any order of greatness on the Hijokaidan I have heard so far I'd probably do it like so: 1, Modern; 2, Polar Nights Live; 3, Romance; 4, Windom; 5, Viva Angel; 6, Last Recording Album; 7, Tapes. Mind that 'even' the lower listed of course shriek the living shit out of much else that isn't Hijokaidan, hah. The best band I couldn't have discovered later.

What, I guess, Hijokaidan has achieved more than any other band or artist out there is pushing ME to keep upping that volume. No other noise, or music, I have ever played at the volumes I play Hijokaidan. Nothing more blissful.

tisbor

What, I guess, Hijokaidan has achieved more than any other band or artist out there is pushing ME to keep upping that volume. No other noise, or music, I have ever played at the volumes I play Hijokaidan. Nothing more blissful

blasting Hijokaidan at high volumes is one of the great pleasures of life