Whitehouse

Started by Peterson, December 04, 2011, 11:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

The book Micro-bionic: Radical Electronic Music and Sound Art in the 21st Century by Thomas Bey William Bailey has a chapter on them. 

SiClark

Thanks, will have to check that out.

HongKongGoolagong

"Still Going Strong" published in the 90s by Impulse magazine was a great collection of many reprinted pieces on Whitehouse - first edition came with the cover version cassette featuring many obscure artists mentioned above which included the unforgettable "I'm Comin' Round Your House" ('I'm comin round your house/Take my coat my friend/Make me a cup of tea, two sugars/I'll bring all my Whitehouse albums/YOU WON'T LIKE THEM").

Unfortunately long out of print as is the similar scrapbook 'Birthdeath' from the 80s.

FreakAnimalFinland

I think AES NIHIL still sells the xerox archive version of one Whitehouse book, that collects all katalogues, and other misc material. therefore lots of lyrics, photos, artworks etc.. I think was it 250 xerox sheets. Most definitely worth it. Strength Through Joy did the real binded version of same thing, I assume? Never saw it.

My first touch with Whitehouse was getting Halogen and some old albums as tape dubs. First CD I bought was Total Sex, and back then it did sound crappy compared to rest. During the years bought pretty much everything I could get my hands on. Missing very little - except live tapes I didn't feel like collecting too much. Probably have couple dozen anyways.

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on December 05, 2011, 03:34:13 AM
Whitehouse may have given birth to the genre and they had their time but they are not the be all and end all. Many others have made more interesting and valuable contributions since. The genre carries on and it keeps evolving.

This is something what I always think when people praise endlessly what Whitehouse has done and look down on all "followers". As if all originated from WH. I would guess majority of bands still owe more to other bands, even if they get labeled under "PE".
BUT, when you listen to albums, then you simply think: many have tried - very few have succeeded. Everybody always talks about "whitehouse copycats", but as simple as it is, I don't think anyone has really managed to copy their style. And perhaps thanks to studio production, a lot of albums are in my ears pretty timeless. The new material probably ages much sooner than material of 80's and 90's.

I can't pick any favorites. I think latest thing I was listening, was some re-issue LP's and Buchenwald CD. I think that CD is simply so fierce and disturbing, it competes hard with sheer violence of New Britain. I think I should next rotate Right To Kill LP.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bleak Existence

Buchenwald is their most disturbing album & even better than New Britain i think

bitewerksMTB

I use to have the orig BIRTH/DEATH book & some of the xeroxes were hard to read so Aes-Nihil's may have some stuff that's close to impossible to read.

martialgodmask

I've not really given Cut Hands much of a whirl yet, but I did have (on my other PC I think?) a podcast-of-sorts that I seem to remember featured Bennett and was centred around the whole afro-noise thing. Can't remember what it was called, I'll check my external harddrive sometime. It's an interesting enough listen but fucked if I can remember what it was called or where it was from. Think the same guy/site did a show with/about Nic Bullen/Alienist too.

RyanWreck

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 07, 2011, 01:01:42 AM
Twice..." is worth owning just for all the little details in Trevor's artwork.

Yea I thought all of those little obscure elements in that cover art is really well done. The picture of Dacahu sticks out but the Man Ray De Sade picture doesn't, I still can't find it (unless it is that little clock looking thing between the doors in the back). Where is it?

bitewerksMTB

I have a poster for T.I.N.E. & on the left side, there's half of something that says 'sade' at the bottom. Not sure if it's suppose to be a clock or painting since you can only see the letters.

I have no idea who I got the poster from...

RyanWreck

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on December 05, 2011, 01:39:04 AM
Everything is mandatory up tp "M+D" which is the last thing they did I like.

RIGHT TO KILL was the first thing I heard & I hated it. "Just a bunch of feedback" was my thought but the titles were AWESOME. Then I bought the SLAUGHTERHOUSE live lp & more 'just feedback' then a recording of GREAT WHITE DEATH arrived in the mail- HOLY SHIT. Still a great record. Love all the little details, studio tricks. Also love ERECTOR, PETER KURTEN, NEW BRITAIN (didn't like the sections of silence when I first heard it), & the 2 more difficult to find: PSYCHOPATHIA SEXUALIS and RIGHT TO KILL.

I remember reading somewhere that the pieces of silence are ultrasonic sounds, you have to turn it up real loud with specific headphones to hear it and even then you aren't even suppose to really "hear it" but rather know there is something there. I've tried, it still sounds like nothing to me. I have some CD's that are suppose to help with "Astral Travel" that are made up of ultrasonic sounds which you can hear and some of them are rather nice sounding.

ironfistofthesun

Im shocked that anyone has not mentioned the "latter" albums...I thought they were amazing... I even enjoyed Racket !

STREETMEAT

Quote from: ironfistofthesun on December 11, 2011, 11:25:52 PM
Im shocked that anyone has not mentioned the "latter" albums...I thought they were amazing... I even enjoyed Racket !

im a big fan of Cruise

RyanWreck

It's in one of these 6 interviews: http://web.archive.org/web/20011022031906/www.neox.demon.co.uk/whitehouse/archives/interviews/

This site also has a few issues of Kata scanned (issues 2-9 and 14-17 are working): http://web.archive.org/web/20011118144720/http://www.neox.demon.co.uk/whitehouse/archives/come/kata/

Tommy Carlsson

I had to google what "ultrasonic sounds" might mean, and it's not really something you press on an LP, so I assume Bennett has a definition all of his own. Or he just kind of likes words that sound vaguely vicious and futuristic.

...and you will want to listen to this rip of Psychopathia Sexualis, I'm certain:

http://nostalgie-de-la-boue.blogspot.com/2012/01/whitehouse-psychopathia-sexualis.html

RyanWreck

Thanks, I've been looking for a good rip of that. I always wondered why the hell they didn't use some English voice samples in the beginning of those tracks.