Small synths

Started by Levas, November 30, 2011, 03:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

host body

Traded my MS-20 for an MS2000R, not sure if it was a good trade or not. Probably will end up regretting this, hah.

edit: scratch that, made a patch (super easy btw) and through a bunch of distortion pedals, DOD octopus and a reverb it sounds really fucking good.

Euro Trash Bazooka

I love the Mega Drive to death and regularly listen to MD chiptune music and all but the chipset in it is basically a downgraded version of the one in the Yamaha DX7. Is the 500€ price justified for this? Not to me, as much as I love the system.
DROIT DIVIN: https://droitdivin1.bandcamp.com/

CRYPTOFASCISME / VIOLENT SHOGUN /
ETC: https://yesdivulgation.bandcamp.com/

A-Z

Quote from: Euro Trash Bazooka on September 14, 2020, 12:16:12 PM
Is the 500€ price justified for this? Not to me, as much as I love the system.

As far as I understand, the main selling point of this thing is the ease of programming due to all controls being directly available on the front pannel.
Basically, this is an FM synth which you can tweak as you go live, like you'd do with a subtractive synth.
Given that (most?) hardware FM synths, and DX7 especially, are notorious for being a pain in the butt to program, this might very well justify the price.
Another advantage is that it's way smaller & lighter than DX7 or any other vintage box.

slagfrenzy tapes

Fuck that. mengqi. ZLH-01.

WhiteWarlock

Mv old DX11 is annoying timesink nightmare & almost never gets recorded... though have extensive library for it....
no hands on controls and requires so much tweaking for something usable/acceptable...
plus it doesn't have "filter" on DX synths.
Old Yamaha DX is not at all hands on fast tweakable friendly synth.
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE

host body

What do you guys think, should I buy a Behringer Neutron or a K2? I did really like the MS20 mini, it was just a bit too noisy and a bit too big physically. I hear the K2 has cleaner filters and is a module, so I guess it would be perfect for me. Then again the Neutron looks awesome too. Mostly looking to use it for gnarly bass puproses and naturally modular weirdness.

Also feel free to recommend other desktop, 200-400 costing semi modular synths with a gnarly filter.

Into_The_Void

Quote from: host body on December 15, 2020, 03:01:19 PM
What do you guys think, should I buy a Behringer Neutron or a K2? I did really like the MS20 mini, it was just a bit too noisy and a bit too big physically. I hear the K2 has cleaner filters and is a module, so I guess it would be perfect for me. Then again the Neutron looks awesome too. Mostly looking to use it for gnarly bass puproses and naturally modular weirdness.

Also feel free to recommend other desktop, 200-400 costing semi modular synths with a gnarly filter.

I have a Neutron and is definitely a good system, versatile and fat as fuck, and if you´re into modular or semi-modular systems you can obtain very interesting results by patching it (for example with a Maths), but if you want "precise" sounds, is not the best choice. In particular the LFO rate is either slow or very fast.
I don´t know about the filter but I heard very good things about the Crave (which is even below your minimum budget, as it costs around 105 euro) and the Model D (a kind of Mother 32 reproduction), both from Behringer (which I think is doing a great job with these new replicas of old and very expensive machines).
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

host body

Quote from: Into_The_Void on December 15, 2020, 03:19:11 PM

I have a Neutron and is definitely a good system, versatile and fat as fuck, and if you´re into modular or semi-modular systems you can obtain very interesting results by patching it (for example with a Maths), but if you want "precise" sounds, is not the best choice. In particular the LFO rate is either slow or very fast.
I don´t know about the filter but I heard very good things about the Crave (which is even below your minimum budget, as it costs around 105 euro) and the Model D (a kind of Mother 32 reproduction), both from Behringer (which I think is doing a great job with these new replicas of old and very expensive machines).

I just bought an analog four, which while not really semi-modular has basically endless modulation capabilities (4-voice, 2 oscillator polysynth but you can patch each voice separately, so you basically have 4 monosynths in one. It's amazing!) so i'm maybe looking for a gnarly bass synth more than a chaos machine. Based on that maybe the Neutron isn't exactly what I want.

I did check out a few videos of crave, and it seems like a cool little synth but maybe not what I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards the K2 as I know pretty much what the MS20 is capable of. Only problem is there doesn't seem to be any available used locally.

Wish I had the budget for a polivoks, hah.

Into_The_Void

Quote from: host body on December 15, 2020, 04:17:46 PM
Quote from: Into_The_Void on December 15, 2020, 03:19:11 PM

I just bought an analog four, which while not really semi-modular has basically endless modulation capabilities (4-voice, 2 oscillator polysynth but you can patch each voice separately, so you basically have 4 monosynths in one. It's amazing!) so i'm maybe looking for a gnarly bass synth more than a chaos machine. Based on that maybe the Neutron isn't exactly what I want.

I did check out a few videos of crave, and it seems like a cool little synth but maybe not what I'm looking for. I'm leaning towards the K2 as I know pretty much what the MS20 is capable of. Only problem is there doesn't seem to be any available used locally.

Wish I had the budget for a polivoks, hah.

well, if you´re looking for some fatty bass-making capable machines, I would say to look for a Dark Energy (I have the MKII, but apparently the MKI has a "thicker" sound) or a Vermona Lancet. Actually they´re both over the budget you said, but they´re definitely worthy of the price they cost!

host body

Quote from: Into_The_Void on December 16, 2020, 06:52:50 PM
well, if you´re looking for some fatty bass-making capable machines, I would say to look for a Dark Energy (I have the MKII, but apparently the MKI has a "thicker" sound) or a Vermona Lancet. Actually they´re both over the budget you said, but they´re definitely worthy of the price they cost!

I wish i could buy all three, hah. I did find a Dark Energy for sale locally, let's see if the seller would be interested in a trade.

edit: Bought it, only 250 euros so exactly in my price range. Should go really well with the A4, as I can run it into the audio inputs and use the A4 as an effects box. It has a really good chorus, delay and reverb.

Into_The_Void

Quote from: host body on December 16, 2020, 10:59:08 PM

I wish i could buy all three, hah. I did find a Dark Energy for sale locally, let's see if the seller would be interested in a trade.

edit: Bought it, only 250 euros so exactly in my price range. Should go really well with the A4, as I can run it into the audio inputs and use the A4 as an effects box. It has a really good chorus, delay and reverb.

wow 250 eur is a very good price, enjoy! I don´t have an analog four but I´m pretty curious about it (I´m a big fan of the elektron machines)...

host body

Quote from: Into_The_Void on December 18, 2020, 05:46:24 PM

wow 250 eur is a very good price, enjoy! I don´t have an analog four but I´m pretty curious about it (I´m a big fan of the elektron machines)...

It's pretty unique, there isn't any other synth like it. Only downside is that it can't really produce super harsh sounds or like, deep & gnarly bass, so not probably the first choice for most people who do noise, industrial or power electronics. Still, just for it's versatility and great effects I'd say it's well worth 500-600 euros. It's amazing how little people are asking for the MK. I version.

WhiteWarlock

Quote from: host body on December 19, 2020, 10:46:54 AM
Quote from: Into_The_Void on December 18, 2020, 05:46:24 PM

It's pretty unique, there isn't any other synth like it. Only downside is that it can't really produce super harsh sounds or like, deep & gnarly bass, so not probably the first choice for most people who do noise, industrial or power electronics. Still, just for it's versatility and great effects I'd say it's well worth 500-600 euros. It's amazing how little people are asking for the MK. I version.
CEM3396
Microprocessor Controllable: 2 Wave-Shaper, 2/4 pole VCF, VCA (see also MS1215, reissued as DSI-PA397 in 2007~

Oberheim
Matrix 1000

Oberheim
Matrix 6

Elka
EK 22

Sequential Circuits
Sixtrak & MAX
probably other Sequential Circuits synths...

have 6 of those Dark Energy CEM3396 chips in dead SCI MAX for making modules....

They are infamously thin.
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE

Into_The_Void

I was wondering how many people in this board use / appreciate the black death? I have the mini version and I fucking love it. Definitely not possible to control or "play" in the proper way, still a rich stream of unique sounds which make the black death a very versatile machine.