BRUME

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 16, 2010, 10:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

I see the Anastomose PD10" has been reissued on CD.  I remember it being a favorite at the time.  Not enough time to keep up and keep acquainted.

http://www.discogs.com/Brume-Anastomose-Other-Stories/release/4523466
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

LIFE

Was going to reply to this but saw I posted in it three years ago. All I can say is truly in a league of his own separate from anything else that ever was.

Even when it gets too goofball for me it's still an impressive approach to sound.

Zeno Marx

I don't normally care for cackling/laughter, grunts, screams, and other goofy vocals, but Kommissar Hjuler und Frau - Salicylat 2010 is one of those smart, skilled exceptions; so much so that I'm tempted to seek out more Kommissar.  There is a workable tonality to this guy's voice that plays well with Brume's fine production sense, and the result is well within the richer side of the French electro-acoustic tradition.  And the acoustics and ambient flow is typical Brume top shelf.  The feel and my response reminded me of Nurse with Wound's Merzbild Schwet.  Impressive.

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on February 16, 2010, 03:22:29 PM...often anchored nicely by unassuming backing ambience.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Brume - The Prehistoric Tapes
http://www.discogs.com/Brume-The-Prehistoric-Tapes/release/1340811

"These recordings were the very 1st electronic experiments I made, just after I gave up Uria, and just before I create Brume. The main stuff was inspired by music like Heldon, Suicide ... but also progressive music and German krautrock."

Recorded from 1979 to 1983 at Primitive Studio and Brume Rec.

And he did it incredibly well.  One of those folks who obviously has an exceptional, very upper percentile ear.  I went into this not thinking it would be anywhere near the quality it is.  Someone could have re-packaged this and pawned it off as a lost, newly unearthed krautrock gem.  Where I didn't prepare to be impressed, I thoroughly am.  Speaking of box sets, if he has more of this type material tucked away, it is deserving of its own collection.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

jadderly

Thanks for highlighting this. The only Brume I know is Draft of Collisions and Normal...both great of course. I should pull those out soon as I haven't played them in awhile.

eyestrain

Had picked up the Charlemagne 7" a bit back... It completely warped my skull. Really, one of the, if not the, best Brume release I've ever heard.

impulse manslaughter

Agreed, great 7"! One of my favorites!

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Dr Alex on March 25, 2014, 10:55:39 AM
I listened "In Heaven" a lot and it's really great release. Anyone can suggest me some similar album from him?

I can't think of any Brume with quite that level of sustained... ominous, brooding, atmosphere. What's funny to me is just how close it is to what I had expected – having read the label blurb and of course played back the Eraserhead soundtrack several times in anticipation of impending In Heaven arrival. So the closest thing I could recommend would be the (second half of) the above-mentioned OST. I also couldn't help hallucinating (the atmospheric dimensions of) Swans Public Castration Is A Good Idea, always a Good Thing.

Brume-wise... perhaps Draft Of Confusion, recorded just one year earlier (2009) and itself a reworking of a soundtrack credited to C.Renou. A bit less deliberately creepy, maybe, but quite the full-bodied delivery of amorphous textures and equally a Brume anomaly.

Parts of House Unwillently, the Brume & TBC collabo, might also slake certain cravings in these regards. These regards, namely: darkambient atmospherics jizzed up with fat wads of industrial-strength thundersplooge.

I might also suggest a review of Lustmord's (soundtrack for) Zoetrope. Where the inimitable B offers something rather more lustmordian (read: considerably more melodramatic/hollywoodesque) there are nevertheless parallels in the use of burbling undercurrents and the occasional percussive wallop.

To the gent who name-checked Charlemagne – fuck yeah! But certainly another anomaly. More for the sort of person who might occasionally peruse a power electronics discussion board... if not really, methinks, showcasing his true compositional talents.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

MyrtleLake

Brume: Emergence
2009 Waystyx 2xCD Reissue (original 1990)
https://www.discogs.com/Brume-Emergence/release/2030727?ev=item-vc

Call me clueless. Can someone explain to me how to, as the instructions note:
These 2 CDs could be played together on 2 CD players, both should be connected to a single usual Hi-Fi amp in order to get some dephasings & maximum effects

Are each of these CDs mono - thus connecting one output to the left channel and the other CD to the right channel of a stereo receiver single input? Or is there some way to feed two stereo inputs simultaneously to the speaker output on a typical amplifier? I can't see any way to do that on mine.

Thanks for the help / info.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: MyrtleLake on October 31, 2019, 04:25:16 PM
r is there some way to feed two stereo inputs simultaneously to the speaker output on a typical amplifier? I can't see any way to do that on mine.

Thanks for the help / info.

A CD dj mixer unit would achieve this easily

This looks it would be the cheapest way of doing it

MyrtleLake

Sounds like something other than my two CD players and stereo amplifier is needed. Possibly a simple mixer unit would work? Re: "...in order to get some dephasings & maximum effects" I don't know *exactly* what that entails nor requires (if anything).

What about this approach?
>>Rolls MX51s Mini-Mix 2 stereo line mixer<<

deutscheasphalt

Quote from: MyrtleLake on October 31, 2019, 04:25:16 PM
These 2 CDs could be played together on 2 CD players, both should be connected to a single usual Hi-Fi amp in order to get some dephasings & maximum effects

Are each of these CDs mono - thus connecting one output to the left channel and the other CD to the right channel of a stereo receiver single input? Or is there some way to feed two stereo inputs simultaneously to the speaker output on a typical amplifier? I can't see any way to do that on mine.

The sleeve notes suggest that both CDs are mono, otherwise you would need to run them via 2 amps quadraphonic to get the desired results.
So either of these should work:
CD player 1 OUT -> amp IN (L)
CD player 2 OUT -> amp IN (R)

or

CD player 1 OUT -> mixer ch. 1 (pan left)
CD player 2 OUT -> mixer ch. 2 (pan right)
mixer OUT -> amp IN

The effects created by this setup are depending on both source materials. I haven't listened to the release (yet) but there could be phase cancellations, panning effects, amplitude & frequency interferences of all kinds especially noticable if the separate channel sounds are just slightly off.
Could be a good idea to use headphones if you don't have a well balanced stereo system.
Buying a mixer just for listening to this one album sounds a bit overkill.