my local ran out of my favourite brew
duh-nanana-nah

reduced to drinking ersatz Guinness.
duh-nanana-nah

does the job,
duh-nanana-nah

BUT HARDLY WHAT I WANT

That is absolutely beautiful.

Saku Originaal (Estonian 4,6% pale lager) and the last half shot of the Gammel Dansk bottle previously mentioned. Really a great combination. Saku may get shitty ratings from the hipsters at Rate Beer, but those guys are not even interested in learning a Finno-Ugric language and have no appreciation for the Finnish, Scandinavian and Baltic tradition of well-tuned, cheap mass produced beer. If you compare Pripps Blå, Karjala or Saku to something like Budweiser or even Kingfisher, you'll soon realize that the cheapness of Northern European cheap beer ain't so cheap after all (relatively speaking). Also, those Rate Beer butt pirates drink so much hops saturated 9% bullshit that they are unable to recognize the many qualities of an original little take on lager like Saku. Also - it's got alcohol, which is a great substance.
"Alkoholi ei ratkaise ongelmia, mutta eipä kyllä vittu maitokaan"

Ahvenanmaalla Puhutaan Suomea

Yrjö-Koskinen

Finally, a decent Luomuyrttilikööri to go with beer. Metsän Henki is not exactly Gammel Dansk, Fernet or other grown-up bitters upon which I rely for long-term survival , but it sure gives some extra punch to my King's Road lager this evening. Some woodland stuff going on with the flavor (go figure), and not ALL too sweet. Plastic bottles should not be overlooked when on Alko, that's for sure.

david lloyd jones

Musselman you are indeed privileged to give name to beer buying!

Deadpriest

Die hard user now!! May buy a thrice of cans of Stella on Monday to celebrate.
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Strangecross

a few things as I am a heavy drinker:
the way to drink whiskey is with seltzer and ice
Ipa's are dumb, at least what they have become in america. 'sour' is best in a belgian style, not some start up company. and if you talk down on big name beers like coors, budweiser, or have a thing against lite beer, thats dumb.
Anyone ever had Baekseju?
Anyone can suggest a good earthy, grainy russian vodka? i used to have one in portland oregon but forgot the name, served cold it tasted like dirt and water, amazing.

boorman

Yes please let's see pictures. What size were the glasses?

david lloyd jones

my local shuts for refurb at weekend.
will have to drink somewhere foreign for three weeks.
that sucks.
refurbishment sucks too, but not as bad as some.

Yrjö-Koskinen

I'm not a real drink/cocktail person, but Bloody Mary, with little to no ice but lots of Tabasco, black pepper and celery salt, really hits the spot most of the time. It's decent against hang-overs, but really an all-round kind of drink (not with food, though). Pro-tip: strong juniper tasting gin instead of Vodka adds some zing, especially if your other ingredients are on the cheaper side.

Johann

Regarding clamatos and micheledas, Micheledas are excellent. Drank them quite a bit in Texas especially as the kitchen was winding down in the summer, if you have a particular Bloody Mary mix or recipe your fond of simply salt the rim of your glass, grab a couple limes and add an ice cold beer (usually Mexican, even Negro Modelo is great in it). I haven't had a Clamato but have no reason to doubt it's the same. It's good at pretty much anytime of day too. One thing I don't recommend is adding ice, some places do this but I don't like it.

There is also the Texas Michelead, which is a domestic (like bud) served over ice with a salted rim and slice of lime. Again, I skip the ice but liked it. If there is a trustworthy Mexican joint in town they often serve them to, give it a try (unless you hate tomatoes)

boorman

Do you need a certain number of comments before KMusselman will acknowledge you in a thread? :(

boorman

Quote from: KMusselman on March 16, 2018, 06:52:28 PM
Quote from: boorman on March 16, 2018, 07:00:43 AM
Do you need a certain number of comments before KMusselman will acknowledge you in a thread? :(

acknowledged!  still drinking those hoppy pale ales?  what else have you been drinking?

Thanks! Hopheads need to stick together apparently. Was intrigued as to whether the imperial stout you were drinking was served in pint glasses.

Recently I've developed a fixation on Belgian yeasts, which has matched and temporarily eclipsed my prior fixation on hops. Up until recently Belgian strong ales all tasted the same to me despite my interest and perseverance, but now the door has opened to my palate. Recently I've been drinking a compromise between the two:

Duvel Triple Hop Citra
ABV 9.5%
IBU 48

Mix of old world and new. Lip-smacking oily character with lemony resin despite its high carbonation.

boorman

Quote from: KMusselman on March 17, 2018, 08:32:15 AM
the Imperial Stouts were $ 3.00, 10 oz. pours.  good thing, as i was coming from a brewpub across town.

Sounds about right. I've had almost psychedelic experiences with Imperial Stout of that strength.

Yrjö-Koskinen

Quote from: KMusselman on March 15, 2018, 11:29:10 PM
I haven't had a bloody in a while, but really enjoy them.  I prefer a Veggie Mary with celery, olives and pickle.  I like them really spicy, but not gritty.  Horseradish gives them a nice kick too.  Use to make this my last drink after many beers as it was almost a meal with all of the garnishes.  Seemed to soak up some of the alcohol, but i doubt it.  We have a place here that has a Bloody Mary station.  You choose and make your own.  Cost is based on what alcohol is used and the number of garnishes used.  Seems to be a drink popular on Sunday mornings around here as all the places have specials on them.

Quote from: Johann on March 16, 2018, 04:21:56 AM
Regarding clamatos and micheledas, Micheledas are excellent. Drank them quite a bit in Texas especially as the kitchen was winding down in the summer, if you have a particular Bloody Mary mix or recipe your fond of simply salt the rim of your glass, grab a couple limes and add an ice cold beer (usually Mexican, even Negro Modelo is great in it). I haven't had a Clamato but have no reason to doubt it's the same. It's good at pretty much anytime of day too. One thing I don't recommend is adding ice, some places do this but I don't like it.

There is also the Texas Michelead, which is a domestic (like bud) served over ice with a salted rim and slice of lime. Again, I skip the ice but liked it. If there is a trustworthy Mexican joint in town they often serve them to, give it a try (unless you hate tomatoes)
This is the type of information that is needed in the alcohol thread. Around here, there are not many options for bloody marys, veggies or anything else out on the town, but they can't stop you from mixing your own. I will take various hints from the information provided by you gentlemen and see how I can make them better.

Currently I am examining a beer - a Stallhagen Wild Flower, which is this Ahvenanmaan brewery's response to the recent Finnish legalization of drinks with up to 5,5% alcohol content being sold in stores outside the state monopoly. This is the third one I've had since they were first released a month or so back, and I can't get over the sense that it looks pink. It certainly isn't, but somehow it feels like it looks like it is. It tastes just fine, but I'm ruining it with a pink (actually pink) UFO Shot.

XXX

went out for dinner last night & had a drink of

Plantation OFTD rum,
amaro di angostura,
bruto americano,
cane, tiki bitters.

More or less just a rum old fashion but truly a mysterious and smoky delight.

david lloyd jones

Just seen the landlord of my local.
He has been evicted following the tarting up of the pub.
Will not be going there again given the acctions of the brewery.
Now looking for a pub that will tolerate dodgy tshirts  etc.
Also needs to have great beer.