PHARMAKON on WFMU's Beware of the Blog

Started by Arvo, September 02, 2011, 05:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

Was just listening to Abandon and Bestial Burden and although I thought it was the other way round, I liked Bestial Burden much more than Abandon. It's really good!
Quite curious what's next from Pharmakon. Anybody knows if there is already something in the works?

chibitachop

Quote from: cr on November 05, 2016, 06:49:02 PM
Quite curious what's next from Pharmakon. Anybody knows if there is already something in the works?
circumstantial evidence from couple months back indicating 'yes' https://www.instagram.com/p/BKRGUHZgT8Y/

NO PART OF IT

She's an intelligent person who has done her part to avoid pageantry, for what it's worth.
I heard her work before I knew what she looked like, and she could have been overweight living with mum for all I know, her work stood on its own. 

It doesn't strike me as too much "direct line" recording.  I think it's sufficiently polished with a good balance of rawness.  She even records in a studio before a small crowd to get the effect of live energy.  I suppose there could be more feedback or amplified sources, but I don't use this is a basis for sincerity.

I happened to have a pretty good insight that would suggest she was signed based on her sounds alone, for the record. 
I don't care to change peoples' minds, but I do find this work to be more meaningful/personal/artistically triumphant than much other work because it deals in power dynamics in more poetic ways than usual....  and that, too, is what makes it sink or swim with people. 
In Chicago, there is this sort of "crabs in a bucket" dynamic, where people are either trying too hard, or not trying hard enough (poseurs), and I'm just nowhere near bored with this material. 

If I wanted to talk trash, I'd name a list of people who are full of shit, making power electronics that they "don't know anything about", and I'd surely reference Steve Underwood's essay about the convoluted/contrived proliferation of people airing their "private obsessions", but if I did, Pharmakon would not be on it. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

holy ghost

I've probably said this before, but her live set was excellent. It stands out more than any pedal tweaker I've seen. She was in your face, abrasive and definitely put people out of their comfort zone. I remember just being blown away by the show. She charged around with a mic just screaming in people's faces. I went with a friend who has no exposure to noise and he said it was one of the more uncomfortable things he'd ever seen. I took that as an extremely high compliment even if it wasn't intended as such.

I don't always come back to her records as often as I'd like to, but I'm definitely a huge fan.

BlackHole

I think Pharmakon is pretty great. A little clean for my taste these days but I was really into it when I first heard her stuff. Looking forward to more from her.

totalabuse

AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE (ISSUE ONE)
I'm in a minority, and even though I have often been told that I'm wrong, I consider Power Electronics to be something of a spent force which should have been left in a shallow roadside ditch some miles back. The only reliables are the long-termers, such Asp, Balisteri, Dando and Solotroff, who, like Bruce Lee before them, offer glimmers of hope to undisciplined imitators masquerading as badboys, who pull their bedroom mirror moves whilst securely decked out in military surplus, fan-boy t-shirts and topped with the obligatory peaked black cap. As sweeping generalisations go, it would seem that the ranks of these vanilla dullards are constantly being expanded by an influx of players recruited from the straight-jacketed ranks of the Hardcore and Metal circuses, where the flock mentality is the unwritten law, and imposing their one-size-fits-all scene regulations a hobby, It's this safety-in-numbers approach and scene molding that snuffs out unique, individual voice, miring us in a pit of the same old tired clichés and opinions. I want my PE to be delivered as a genuine insight into a particular artist's mindset, not by somebody with identification issues flaunting his supposedly 'private' 'obsessions' (which are, amazingly, the exact same as everybody else's on his mailing list)  in front of his little playmates, unsure, unable or unwilling to stand on his own two feet, And I want some cold distance to the subject, coupled with a bit of vague mystery, both of which seem to be lacking from today's team-players. That's why the individual indiscretions of, say, George Michael are far more invigorating and interesting than the tedious clichés of the rock 'n' roll lifestyle exhibited by Montly Crue, doing exactly what they're expected to do in that position they hold.

It's unique, peculiar traits that separate the driven from the masses, fuelling a need that pushes the artist to do what he has to do without any concerns for recognition, let alone acceptance. Nobody in PE should be looking to bond, and nobody should be serious about asking others what their next move should be. Which piece of art is actually a genuine reflection of the artist is tough to pin down, and let's face it, 'authenticity' has always been the greatest deceiver in rock music, but still, contemporary PE, with its sad parody of needy attention-seeking scenesters stretches tolerance levels. Mine, anyway.

These dismal trollops will continue with their play-ground bravado, pushing and shoving each other around at shows, rallying their internet warrior buddies, naked and exposed with full decks dealt, at least until the big boys, watching from a distance, finally step out from behind  the bikesheds and demand that the kids hand over their pocket-money. With Crowd Pleaser,  that demand is finally made.

It would have been far too easy for somebody as highly regarded within PE's hierarchy as Philip Best to have bandied these recordings around any number of safehouse labels and demand his own terms, but it's a testament to the project's individuality and belief in self that the took the hard option oversaw the whole production on his own. It's given aid along the way from Mattin (who had to leave his philosophy books behind) and long-terms accomplice Gary Mundy, as well as the absolute craftsmanship of Rashad Becker during the mastering stage, which makes the whole album fucking bullet-proof.

They lyrical onslaught never lets up from the off, and is snarled out with a rapid-fire intensity. A constant stream of polemic, surging forward, switching from bitter to puzzled, but always lacking any trace of empathy whilst operating without a safety-net of buzzwords. The muzzled restraint which highlighted his work with the two most intriguing tracks on Whitehouse's Asceticist 2006 Album, and which every had expected for the No Fun Productions LP (Nobody's Ugly), is blown apart and the results are delivered with the most effective, fractures viciousness as record has hurled forth in a long time.

Side Two allows the librarian and wordsmith to stand aside and lets the musicians through. Like Nobody's Ugly, this features another highly precise instrumental construction which, whilst having none of the jagged shards strewn across it like the outbursts on the first side, builds on wailing tones and hits like a sneak-attacks from the SAS, in and out within a few minutes, Minimum fuss, maximum impact.
Steve Underwood

A.R.GH

Quote from: holy ghost on November 06, 2016, 05:01:43 PM
I've probably said this before, but her live set was excellent. It stands out more than any pedal tweaker I've seen. She was in your face, abrasive and definitely put people out of their comfort zone. I remember just being blown away by the show. She charged around with a mic just screaming in people's faces. I went with a friend who has no exposure to noise and he said it was one of the more uncomfortable things he'd ever seen. I took that as an extremely high compliment even if it wasn't intended as such.

I don't always come back to her records as often as I'd like to, but I'm definitely a huge fan.

I have a very similar opinion. Had the opportunity to see her last year and it was great, completely in your face and abrasive as you mention, very "heavy" too. I liked her in the albums but it's a whole different thing live (much better?)
I'm glad she did a south american tour, we don't have many of this kind of projects/band from abroad playing here

cr

Only listened to the tracks on YT, but new album Devour already seems to be the best Pharmakon yet. At least for my taste. Looking forward to get the physical release, hopefully next week.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Quote from: cr on August 31, 2019, 10:59:42 AM
Only listened to the tracks on YT, but new album Devour already seems to be the best Pharmakon yet. At least for my taste. Looking forward to get the physical release, hopefully next week.

I'm excited for it. I know a lot of people here don't rate her but she makes consistently great stuff in my opinion. great live act too

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: totalabuse on November 08, 2016, 03:40:22 AM
AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE (ISSUE ONE)

Only me and my friends are real.

Steve Underwood
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...