Live show reports / comments

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moozz

Heat Signature, Pain Appendix, Kadaver + "local support" @ Pit's, Kortrijk, Belgium

Pretty epic ending for April, first an excellent noise fest in Leiden, Netherlands (Crude Transmissions II) with Heat Signature, Worth, Pain Appendix, Kadaver, Jugendwerkhof and many others, and then the next day even more of the same in Kortrijk. Pit's a legendary little venue with a living room sized space for the bar, stage and floor plus a "lobby" with a ticket counter, merch stand(s) and two urinals. Nothing better than standing there with your penis in your hand while greeting people entering the venue. Apparently Eyehategod played the venue in 1993 with Crowbar to over 100 people. I do not know how to fit even 50 in there so it must have been pretty damn intense. But Sunday night was no less intense! Less than 50 people but the noise was harsh, to the point and flowing free and wild.
Kindvriendelijk opened the night. They also played at Crude Transmissions the day before. This is a harsh noise duo consisting of Vincent Dallas and All Shadows And Deliverance. Sheet metal with contact mics scraped along walls and floors plus sweat-bursting physical harsh noise explosion a'la Vincent Dallas ending with the gear smashed to the floor.
After a short break it was time for Misère consisting of Sisto Rossi and Geseling who both played solo sets at the fest the previous day. Yet another burst of high energy harsh noise with cinder blocks pulverized and the audience being just centimeters away from bodily harm by an amplified sheet of metal.
Next it was my turn. Moozzhead sounded pretty much how I wanted except for the loud PA playing tricks on some things that worked a bit different with my 10W practice amp at home :) I had my phone on the table among my pedals to keep track of the time and as a nice bonus I got a phone call in the middle of the set. I swiped to accept and just continued playing. I wonder how it sounded like at the other end of the call.
After dinner (yes, the evening was very nicely organized and hosted) Kadaver from Israel unleashed his pedal armada for a harsh noise onslaught but this time with some breathing space with occasional harsh drones while still maintaining that harsh noise drive. Kadaver also had played the night before like the two American acts that were still to play. Worth was originally supposed to play as well (his set at Crude Transmissions was an incredible death struggle with defective electronics) but could not as he was already on a plane somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.
Pain Appendix had the honor of being the first of the Americans currently on a European tour to play first. After harsh noise after harsh noise after harsh noise it was very welcome to have something slightly more structured that did not rely solely on a wall of distortion. Harsh noise for sure but there were lengthy parts with movie(?) samples, rhythmically plucked mic'd spring and an occasional whiff of power electronics with vocals shouted into the contact mic of the said spring. The spring was also scraped with a knife which sounded great when fed through some booming distortion.
No disrespect to any of the other artists but I think the best was saved for last. This is naturally just my own opinion, the evening was great no matter which 1, 10 or 100 minutes one would have attended. Heat Signature totally devastated in Leiden and they did exactly the same in Kortrijk. Being a duo opens up possibilities and I think Heat Signature took them all and executed it perfectly. A roaring mass of fast paced HARSH NOISE. Short set (I don't think it lasted 15 minutes) with several "11 out of 10" moments for me. Perfect sound drop-outs only to resume half a second later but with even more power. Ruptured crackling blasts. All mixed and messed up in a tornado of sheer power. Trouser-shittingly perfect sonic warfare!

impulse manslaughter

Thanks for the report Moozz. I missed both shows because I was on a holiday. Hope to catch some of these acts another time.

MT

Harsh Ways Fest

First of all, what a superb evening. Massive thanks to organizers, everything went smoothly. No hassle, just everything happening on it's own pace. Also, sound was very good, PA power was satisfactory.

Maskhead started off the evening, very simple setup and it worked very well. An miced up object with springs attached to it. Feedback manipulation by swinging the rod in air. Adding a bit of theatrics to the mix. Special mention for the eerie grin he has behind the mask, a simple yet effective way to create atmosphere and more depth. First gig for Maskhead I believe, hopefully more to come.

Transitions were smooth since no one was in a hurry really. Plenty of time to catch up with acquitances, do some noise shopping from surprisinglu wide selection of tapes and CDs provided by several artists/distros.

Amek-Maj was up next. Saw his set last year in Oulu, which was cut short due shoulder dislocating in middle of the set. And Amek-Maj delivered! The personality of the performer is something that is relevant with Amek-Maj. Laid back fellow who gets energized by the sheer power of noise and turns into a screaming harsh noise berserk! But not in a negative way, it definately has the feel of positive anger. Set started with rattle and clattering, slowly picking up pace and finally blasting a colourful and heavy harsh noise monolith. After ending the set he asked what the clock is, and started to play more, picking up right where he left off. Candid audience member crowned him with a plastic viking helmet and smiles were traded as set continued to its end. Superb live act!!

There was a nice pack of audience, very nice to see people putting some effort to finding their way to more obscure gig places as well.

Novitshok had some seriously heavy gear. Lots of rusted metal objects from a steel barrel to extremely heavy chains to a small field plow. Three members had assigned duties of electronics, vocals and metal work. Set had plenty of potential, feedback was pretty intense and vocals were lost in the mix. Electronics were pulsating and creating the backbone for the set. Also few members of the band were quite grim looking gentlemen, and the way they positioned themselves to separate working stations and barrel being on a platform, created nice symmetry and feeling of a industrial unit. One long song or so, with better mix this could be even better. But certainly was not bad either, very curious to catch their hopefully next gig.

Unclean set being my own, I was satisfied with it. Great sound system created clarity of what was happening, and this time my mix worked quite well.

Next was Young Hustlers, who unfortunately had most of their gear in Sweden due Mr Olsson being unable to arrive to Finland. Set was probably highly improvised. At the spot hired second vocalist did vicious screaming vocals and YH joining him. Smashing tapes and CDs to pieces, cutting himself in the process, YH set ended in a bloodspattered manner. Best they could do with given circumstances.

Grunt was what most of the audience came to see. And Grunt was simply amazing. The skill how songs are structured with sampler loops, live loops created at the spot and spiced up with live metal noises, is a pleasure to observe. And of course that ripping vocal sound just raises hairs on your arms. A masterclass of a power electronics gig. Lost track of time, because I thought the set could have been longer. Was great to see Grunt back in action!

Despite on artist missing from the lineup, the evening was fantastic, one of the best that I've been to. Once again massive thanks to organizers. Looking forward to the next Harsh Ways Fest!

vorago

pictures from Harsh Ways Fest here:
https://voragography.wordpress.com/

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: V-A on August 13, 2023, 12:09:03 AMpictures from Harsh Ways Fest here:
https://vorago0.wordpress.com/

I see that The Young Hustlers (at least I think that's them) have brought back the classic Whitehouse power electronics-with collared shirts style.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: MT on August 12, 2023, 07:34:26 PMHarsh Ways Fest

First of all, what a superb evening. Massive thanks to organizers, everything went smoothly. No hassle, just everything happening on it's own pace. Also, sound was very good, PA power was satisfactory.

Maskhead started off the evening, very simple setup and it worked very well. An miced up object with springs attached to it. Feedback manipulation by swinging the rod in air. Adding a bit of theatrics to the mix. Special mention for the eerie grin he has behind the mask, a simple yet effective way to create atmosphere and more depth. First gig for Maskhead I believe, hopefully more to come.

Transitions were smooth since no one was in a hurry really. Plenty of time to catch up with acquitances, do some noise shopping from surprisinglu wide selection of tapes and CDs provided by several artists/distros.

Amek-Maj was up next. Saw his set last year in Oulu, which was cut short due shoulder dislocating in middle of the set. And Amek-Maj delivered! The personality of the performer is something that is relevant with Amek-Maj. Laid back fellow who gets energized by the sheer power of noise and turns into a screaming harsh noise berserk! But not in a negative way, it definately has the feel of positive anger. Set started with rattle and clattering, slowly picking up pace and finally blasting a colourful and heavy harsh noise monolith. After ending the set he asked what the clock is, and started to play more, picking up right where he left off. Candid audience member crowned him with a plastic viking helmet and smiles were traded as set continued to its end. Superb live act!!

There was a nice pack of audience, very nice to see people putting some effort to finding their way to more obscure gig places as well.

Novitshok had some seriously heavy gear. Lots of rusted metal objects from a steel barrel to extremely heavy chains to a small field plow. Three members had assigned duties of electronics, vocals and metal work. Set had plenty of potential, feedback was pretty intense and vocals were lost in the mix. Electronics were pulsating and creating the backbone for the set. Also few members of the band were quite grim looking gentlemen, and the way they positioned themselves to separate working stations and barrel being on a platform, created nice symmetry and feeling of a industrial unit. One long song or so, with better mix this could be even better. But certainly was not bad either, very curious to catch their hopefully next gig.

Unclean set being my own, I was satisfied with it. Great sound system created clarity of what was happening, and this time my mix worked quite well.

Next was Young Hustlers, who unfortunately had most of their gear in Sweden due Mr Olsson being unable to arrive to Finland. Set was probably highly improvised. At the spot hired second vocalist did vicious screaming vocals and YH joining him. Smashing tapes and CDs to pieces, cutting himself in the process, YH set ended in a bloodspattered manner. Best they could do with given circumstances.

Grunt was what most of the audience came to see. And Grunt was simply amazing. The skill how songs are structured with sampler loops, live loops created at the spot and spiced up with live metal noises, is a pleasure to observe. And of course that ripping vocal sound just raises hairs on your arms. A masterclass of a power electronics gig. Lost track of time, because I thought the set could have been longer. Was great to see Grunt back in action!

Despite on artist missing from the lineup, the evening was fantastic, one of the best that I've been to. Once again massive thanks to organizers. Looking forward to the next Harsh Ways Fest!

The pictures on the Maskhead Discogs page lead me to believe that he has played before?

Atrophist

HWF was indeed a a very welcome treat after a largely frustrating and disappointing spring, noise gig wise. Enormous, cavernous hall, with walls, ceiling and floor all bricks and concrete. No problem, sound is what it is and you make the most of it. Maskhead was an appropriate opener, possibly the simplest noise gear setup I recall seeing. Also I enjoyed the fact that he took his time to get the set going — not everybody likes that, but especially as the opener act it worked very well.

Had no idea what to expect from Novitshok. Great contrast to the previous performers, but sound was possibly not optimal. A dense and oppressive soundscape, that appeared to bury the vocals and possibly some other elements also completely underneath. But, as mentioned above, visually a dramatic performance and I also enjoyed the post-apocalyptic/ritualistic Mad Max drumming.

Young Hustlers ended up being my favorite set of the evening, with some authentic madness and unpredictability. Some distro items ended up being prepared into unique collector's pieces. Before the show there had been some talk of the dreaded Finnish balaclava noise. Well guess who ended up being the only performer of the night with a Commando mask?

Grunt was fantastic. Strong and clear, yet harsh sounds, not muddled or overblown. PE masterclass indeed. Let's have the next sooner than 8 years from now, aye?

All other performances were great too, good turnout, everything well organized. I'm used to venues where the shows have to end by 22.00, so the breaks in between have to be very short. I would have preferred that this time around too, but that's just my own opinion.

I was feeling a little tired and in pain, so I ended up not socializing as much as I would have liked. My problem, not anyone else's of course.

Thank you very much for this, and looking forward to the next one.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: MT on August 12, 2023, 07:34:26 PMSaw his set last year in Oulu, which was cut short due shoulder dislocating in middle of the set.

Whoah...
Shikata ga nai.

FreakAnimalFinland

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

piisti

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on August 13, 2023, 05:40:17 AM
Quote from: MT on August 12, 2023, 07:34:26 PMSaw his set last year in Oulu, which was cut short due shoulder dislocating in middle of the set.

Whoah...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDKZMi--U0&pp=ygUJQW1lay1NYWog

I felt at workplace few months before that gig. They did not x-rays then. When shoulder dropped of while sleeping they found broken bone and some more to operate

Manhog_84

Few more words of praise for HWF, as this felt like one of those heavy electronics evenings there seemed to be in Finland every month heh. Lots of variety as every act had a different approach: from the crude setup of Maskhead to meticulous sound-craftmanship of Grunt. Great venue and even though being a bit more obscure location, it was very easy to get there with public transport. My favorite of the evening turned out to be Young Hustlers. The set was somewhat improvised but there was unique, disturbing madness in the performance. Starting from the weird rhythmic banging of the metal objects at the beginning. Requiem for Juha Valjakkala...Biggest surprise was Novitshok. Menacing stage presence and dark, ear-ripping sound. Now that Grunt has returned, hopefully Bizarre Uproar makes a comeback as well.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: piisti on August 13, 2023, 06:24:51 PMhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDKZMi--U0&pp=ygUJQW1lay1NYWog

I felt at workplace few months before that gig. They did not x-rays then. When shoulder dropped of while sleeping they found broken bone and some more to operate

WHOAH. Hope the shoulder is coming good. 

Like the video.
Shikata ga nai.

pentd

Also about HNW evening: good buildup of madness during the course of the evening, as each set turned crazier than the previous. nice to see amek-maj full set, my personal favorite because of most varied sounds. also for me, as for many, novitshok was a stunning surprise, hope to see more soon.
next time apply some tunes during changeovers, the silence between performers is dumb

hoping for next event soon!

HateSermon

Appreciate the writeups and video for those of us who weren't there. Looked like a killer gig.
Novitshok has only one self released cd (according to discogs)? Hopefully new material is in the works. Any talks of this at the show?

FreakAnimalFinland

MASKHEAD started the fest with very simple and crude harsh noise. He mentioned all gear being elsewhere and has to cope with just one distortion pedal and mixer and one little metal-noise-object with springs attached to it. Mainly problem was the low PA volume, when it wasn't yet adjusted loud enough. Maskheads sound would vary from quiet scratching of spring into feedback drenched shacking. According to video, it isn't bad. Simple, crude, but at location should have been way way louder.

AMEK-MAJ being already more experienced live noisician, firmly insisted that PA and AMP, everything louder, "we need PA to crackle under pressure!!" haha. Indeed. And that's what we got. Volume increased into loud and fat PA power which made his noise sound - in good way broken and brutal, often dirty and somewhat suffocated/restricted bassy rumble, but erupting into ripping harshness. Casual playing style, just having fun with blasting noise works well. Man would stop the "first track", ask audience what time it is, and realising there is no hurry, he'd blast another long harsh noise song with further screaming and body movements. Excellent gig what got the mood of fest instantly into top.

Like discussed in this topic, Novitshok has one CD out (Novitshok "Passage Into Acausal" cd, can be found at nhfastore), but it is vastly different. Basically CD is solo works of the guy with electronics. Sound of CD is more like that. Hitech, electronic soundscapes. Not ambient, not harsh noise, but busy and multilayered synth noises and sounds. I would say noisy enough. Live was different. Synth stuff was mostly buried under feedback from the metal percussion and effect fueled vocals.  I would be highly positive that percussive guy was actually the mysterious man of Anapthergal. Finnish experimental electronic project mostly active in late 90's and early 00's. His Artfuck productions put out first Akitsa demo on CDR back in 2000! What you hear in the live, seemed less of what was done on CD, more in lines of slowly waving ritual drone and metal junk percussion with tortured effected screams.

Unclean did his best set so far - at least what I know. Man has played 20 times live, and now set was mostly tracks known before, but balance of vocals, synth oscillations of chains hitting table for harsh noises has best balance. Everything loud and clear.

Seeing them play few times and listening the Young Hustlers live material from fairly recent Styggelse double tape documenting their gigs around the world, this largely improvised set certainly belong among best. Short, to the point, being mostly just brooding synth noise tone and two guys yelling and being unpredictably mayhemic. Result is broken noise tapes, broken noise CD's being hammered with metal objects, screams and sound,  focusing on pure energy, not being "composed" or "performing songs" really. It has that strong vibe of power electronics, opposed to "harsh noise with vocals". Less innovations with sound, more simplistic pure energy. Even if short, it is so far favorite YH gig I have seen!

I didn't do soundcheck for Grunt at venue. Stuff was played and rehearsed in Lahti well enough, leaving just moment of turning on gear and finding out "oh, it sounds like this with different PA/amplifier"... Then proceeding. Half of the gig was made on the spot anyways, meaning the sounds and atmosphere will rely on the situation and available tech. That was one of the ongoing changes Grunt had over the years. Moving away from fully composed, fully pre-prepared sets, into structurally more and more open - like it has been formerly. Some more song oriented pieces were made, with help of stored loops in sampler, but even those tracks are open to being varied and played like mood dictates. One of the songs exists as studio version submitted to compilation (yet to be released). All the rest were new and unheard material.
Great venue, I personally thought the PA system was perfectly good. You can always insist louder and heavier - except, I tend to be bored with subwoofer rumble. It feels that people are thrilled by mere sound pressure of loud volumes, but I personally as listener and playing something, am not highly impressed by constant bassy hum and rumble, what often has no actual sonic information so to say. The mid-high torment is preferred over comfortable subwoofer rumble! Apparently venue is getting proper stage for next time, so you can see artists better.

mr. Olsson, not present at the venue. Apparently car broke down on the way to airport.

I am also in favor of night mixing harsh noise and more power electronics leaning stuff. I don't say focusing strictly on one style would get dull. Probably not, but perhaps in spirit of "Special Interests", what a great thing when you got harsh noise, power electronics, ritual electronics, structured and free form, all there plus tables filled with weird books, tapes, CD's or all types of noise. Just like mr. Atrophist was talking elsewhere about his own intent when organizing things. Putting together new, old, unknown, known, the brutes and the nice guys, in his words kind of forcing different corners of noise together. I don't know if it even requires force. More like opportunity to be so. Instead actively working against noise and creating obstacles, just allowing noise to happen as is. That combined to enough space between sets, and possibility to talk to people. Actual gathering of noiseheads, not just bar with dull background music trying to force everybody "shut up and drink".  I like!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net