Live show reports / comments

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 25, 2011, 09:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazrs3

Rammel Club – 05/07/2019. Chameleon Arts Café, Occult and Light, Nacht Und Nebel and Vampyres. Chameleon, Nottingham. http://www.rammelclub.org/

https://www.facebook.com/TheChameleonArtsCafe/

For tonight's event there were some last-minute changes, Lucy Adlington was replaced by Occulting Light. This was what I'd call a Nocturnal Beats project, built from arching Keyboard drones, beats and noise that made a slowly building sound, the work intensified as the set progressed. The beats seemed to become more tightly repetitive, as the moody sound built up to a hypnotic climax. I liked this and got into the performance, things like Tetsuo, Abysse, Salford Electronics and Daphnellc have really been on my listening list lately. This really fit in with that for sure. I do believe this was the project's third outing - good show.
https://tetsuoelectronics.bandcamp.com/releases
https://abysse1.bandcamp.com/
https://salfordelectronics.bandcamp.com/
https://lcpmusic.bandcamp.com/music

For Nacht Und Nebel's performance there were no stage lights, just the glow of the small light included in the artists set up; it was all about the noise made and made for an effective sound delivery. When the sounds started they were stuttered and choppy, interrupted by silence. It morphed to a bigger sound that was distorted, pulsating, throbbing and very controlled to make one of the most sonically tense and abrasive sets that I have seen from the project. There seemed to be a lot of individual sonic aspects put together in different segments of the show, it was very varied in sound language as various cutups built and interlinked to make a whole.
https://nachtundnebel.bandcamp.com/

I was keen to hear Vampyres as I'd bought 'Voyeurs at the gates of hell' when Culver played here a few months back, it's the project of Lee Stokoe of Culver and Martyn Reid. This is a more aggressive project in sound, there are massive drones combined with an army of noises. Their performance moved from being suspenseful, guttural, infected and pulsating throughout their set. Like their recordings the drones that underlie the music combine with the chaotic noise that batters away at the foreground and sound huge. Each artist's sound grew tonight, but this went elsewhere. Vampyre's set was simultaneously controlled and chaotic, I feel both members bring different things to the project, as a result I was very impressed by what I saw and bought their 'Bloodstream' tape plus a bunch of other Culver stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/vampyresgroup
https://soundcloud.com/depletion-1
https://awwfn.bandcamp.com/album/astral-sacrifice

Satori / Tunnels of Ah / Colossloth – 08/08/19 Centrala, Digbeth, Birmingham

https://www.facebook.com/colossloth/
https://tunnelsofh.bandcamp.com/
https://satori-industrial.bandcamp.com/

Going back to Birmingham, particularly Digbeth is an intense thing, Digbeth is like a mythical, other worldly No-man's land within Birmingham. To see such huge, empty, abandoned buildings covered in spray artwork is something. The drive was long, but I was thrilled to finally be there. When I found Centrala Space, it was a small, gorgeous Arts Café that does events and exhibitions; I had some great coffees there and got talking to people. This was friendly, relaxed with people just there for the noise, it was the Birmingham I knew and loved.

The first act on was Colossloth which is the project of Wooly Woolaston, who has been active as Colossloth since 2006. His set started off with deep drones with what I'd call an electronica feel as harmonies were woven into the texture of the sound. Things would build with massive rumbling drones, harmonic distortion and then erupt for periods of time. This would happen in different ways that utilised drones, sharp noise, waves of distortion and harmony, his set really contrasted beauty and rawness with a very impressive, forward thinking attitude. The atmosphere in the work was so well manipulated that there couldn't have been a stronger opener, the bar was set high already.

I'll confess, I didn't know what to expect with Tunnels of Ah, I've reviewed and got into Stephen Burroughs work as Frag and Comicide, but I was holding off on Tunnels until I bought the albums. So, I was going in blind, I like to do this as you get a good gauge straight away. There were a bunch of technical difficulties at first as the PA had blown or gone during Colossloth's set; a new one had to be set up, so there was a new PA, loads of wires, new speakers and a big amp. The sound then kept cutting out until it was finally set up and working, the bits of noise made until it cut out were good, very different. I don't know if this changed what it would normally be like, but once all this was fixed, it was like an older type noise gig with wires and amps everywhere and a massive Cacophony took off. Massive horn like, distorted drones took blasted at a massive volume. The sound functioned like Wall noise, but had an esoteric, shifting movement that morphed and changed constantly. There was an ancient/old feel to the sound, as if connected to times long past. Tunnel's sound seemed to constantly grow and get louder as if in permanent cycle of growth until the set stopped. I can see how the sound grew from the early 80s roots of Comicide and I want those four albums for sure.

Satori I knew even less about, I believe there were line-up changes over the decades and the project stretches right back to the mid- 80s and was on the Broken Flag label. Satori's show had a backing film, compromised of striking images of war, genocide, torture, surgery, decay and explosions that was a powerful backdrop. Satori used vocals, they could have been louder, but there was PA issues and it was a great to see some shouting which made for an intense physical performance. The use of noise was loud, as Power Electronics it shifted regularly between subtle to extreme. The sound was distorted and at times cold and clinical. I didn't take notes during Satori's set, I was really pulled into it and found myself immersed. I also bought a CD and found it had a similar effect, played it in the car and it was good - Dispossesion. There is something 'other' about Satori, a depth or distance that gets very vast as you fall into it.
This was a great show, it was three very different artists combining to make a great night with strong performances.

ConcreteMascara

Xenojothsz / Life Appreciation Renewal / Worth / Sects / Concrete Mascara / Yureka Cash & Blanche / Empathic Window @ The Berks

Part of the Xenojothsz / Life Appreciation Renewal tour that's since snowballed into something bigger with Worth and Sects. This was at the lovely Berks venue/living space which I have a sneaking suspicion I've been to before, but cannot place it in my damaged memory. Like any good noise show on a weeknight the weather was lousy, the audience was small and it started late. just as it should be. also one of the residents had a puppy who I got to pet for a minute so it's hard to beat that.

but on with the show!
Empathic Window - while Fay Scratch was certainly an enthusiastic and friendly guy, his live performance left a lot to be desired. first problem and I think common problem with noise sets, unless you're at the top of your craft, don't do a long set. just don't. set a timer for 15 minutes and stop when it beeps. as this was synth and taped based noise, it certainly could have gone on even longer but happily it did not. highlight was the beginning with the piercing, hard panned, hi-freq synth notes, but the problem was lack of continuity or sense of progress. it sounded like random notes with random filters at random times. some great sounds came out here and there but then some knob would get turned and it morph into something less good.

Yureka Cash & Blanche - I really enjoyed this! Similar to the last time I saw Yureka, she handled electronics and had a partner doing vocals. this time it was poet Blanche who read this partially autobiographical pose poem/essay about "Gone With the Wind" and a bunch of related stuff. Each segment had different electronics and each segment got a bit more tense and disorienting than the last. there was backing video as well that evolved with the piece. Blanche's look: her hair outfit and red shoes, the red wine in a coffee mug, the red head lamp in a pitch dark room, was perfect. absolutely "arty" but in the best way possible. highlight of the night for me, partially because it was so unexpected.

Concrete Mascara - same basic set as my show in Providence earlier in the month, executed a little more smoothly. slightly remixed versions of "Snake Skin Stilettos" and "Utopian Nightmare" along with a new track. my mixer and Tube Screamer pedal are failing and I need to replace them. I did get to play with "Rubber's Lover" as my backing video again so that was a win.

Life Appreciation Renewal - saw this project once before in Richmond but this set was definitely a big improvement. briskly placed but effectively executed, building from a warping sample into bass-y blast into screeching vocal hell. vocals were properly loud and overloaded just like I love. honestly this one could've been twice as long and just as good.

and now the projector was used for increasingly silly impromptu backing imagery

Xenojothsz - popper fueled, wig-wearing, harsh madness. backing video of some woman talking about overcoming dissociative identity disorder or something like that, not even full screened but with the Youtube play next sidebar visible. rather perfect. Xenojothsz sounds like his gear set up looks. messy and stringy. this is harsh noise made with gravel and wire hangers and accidental radio pick up. the individual sounds were very tasty but I would've liked a tad more build and progression towards the end. but still damn enjoyable!

Worth - really cool to see Worth live and see this feedback loop madness. Will gets some weird fucking sounds out of his gear and it comes across in this sort of burnt-cosmic-bad-trip way that's just really tasty. it was both what I expected and somehow different at the same time. the inclusion of some downright deranged and brutal vocals was a pleasant surprise too. I want to hear more of that! also special mention to the Janus Films logo that was projected. the man has good taste.

Sects - whoooooboy! what proper end to a Tuesday night noise-boy party. thick, meaty harsh noise. properly physical sounding with sheet metal, glass and contact mics. this was the most immediate and brutal set of the night and the best Sects set I've seen. it was surprisingly dynamic and had nice quiet bits to ramp it up. it got really damn heavy and crunchy towards the end too. Sects, you need to record this shit and release!! the cherry on top was seeing anime "Golden Boy" projected behind. perfect.

a fun night for sure, even if this morning was rough at work as a result. thanks to Syd for hosting!
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Pigswill

November 3rd, 2019 - Mrakmur Dark Arts Festival at A-Mill Artist Lofts
This was kind of a boutique event with a lot of local artists selling various works and wares, which was interesting on its own. But I managed to catch a performance of Boy Dirt Car who has been making industrial noise since the early 80's. I didn't realize it until now, but one half of the band, Darren Brown, has been in another band called Impact Test that I've been listening to for the last year or so since I picked up one of their records at RRR. His wife, Julie Unruly Brown, was the second part of the duo who played a lot of psychedelic instrumentation around Darren's stream-of-consciousness spoken word vocals. Some of their sounds included analog loops made with a case full of pedals, vocal recordings, and some spots of prominent gongs/cymbals that were used to create an atmosphere, like being a small creature in the midst of a large and tranquil wind chime. Overall, there was a lot of variety in the sounds that they created and it all blended together with a satisfyingly organic cohesion. Afterwards, Julie told me about her YouTube channel where they have footage of their performances, crash site reports outside of iconic record stores, and more. I definitely need to catch these two again.

Eigen Bast

Dec 7, 2019 Hospital Fest - Market Hotel

Market Hotel was a favorite venue of mine back in the day. It ended up being a perfect fit for this year's scaled down Hospital Fest.

E-sagilla I wasnt very familiar with her prior; few tracks I heard fell into the 'noisy techno' world. Live, that is what we got; heavy techno slipping into noise and back. A nice start to things, though it lost me at points when it seemed unsure of which direction it wanted to go. Her material would have blended better with the late show, but enjoyable all the same.

Skin Crime Skin Crime are just masters of disorientation. You think you know where things are going but then you find yourself lost in the fog. Oppressive, horrific, claustrophobic. Slow building grinding metal and throbbing bass punctuated by screaming feedback. Their set ended with a horrific sample of a reporter breaking down as a woman described the condition of a raped and strangled child. Maybe it was the train rolling by every few minutes, but this felt like the perfect distillation of 'true crime electronics'. Made me wish Slogun was on the bill!

Richard Ramirez brief and brutal set of shredding scrap abuse. Strobe light going, Ramirez playing on the floor, not much in the way of surprises, just some goood ol fashioned American noise. 15 minutes tops? It certainly left everyone wanting more.

I missed Moonbeam Terror; thad to step out, this fest needed more breaks!

Akitsa solid set of black metal and punk, though a low energy audience didnt do them any favors. Set favored the more recent releases and vacillated between straight forward bm and the more Oi inflected hooligan material. Glad to have finally seen them.

Smell & Quim my wife found a tenderized chunk of meat in her hair after their set. Legitimately one of the greatest sets of insanity I have ever seen, and I am glad the audience was receptive. Simon seemed a bit deflated, hopefully someone comforted him after the fact.

Eternal Champion heavy as hell power metal from TX feat some members of the mighty Iron Age. Awesome set; Jason is an incredible front man. War horns were blown, broadswords brandished...took a few songs to get levels right, byt they were on fire by the end.

Painjerk anyone there will tell you this was the set of the fest by a mile. Incredible control over the room as a whirl of scrap samples were elevated into an utterly psychedelic wig flipper. I have never seen an audience lose their mind over a set like that. Personally, this did more for me than last year's Merzbow set.

Skipped Tomb Mold, then swung back for the RSE set. Dom was having a great time, though I feel the well was running dry with this material. Nice way to close out my night.

Overall a great time. Saw a lot of friends, some great sets, and never thought Id be back at market hotel. Hopefully these things keep happening.

The new Mania, Worth and Skin Crime tapes were available from Patrick. Not much new from Hospital sans some shirts.  The Noisextra table was a bit awkward to access, wanted to say whats up but they had quite a few folk milling around.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Eigen Bast on December 09, 2019, 02:28:57 AM
Painjerk anyone there will tell you this was the set of the fest by a mile. Incredible control over the room as a whirl of scrap samples were elevated into an utterly psychedelic wig flipper. I have never seen an audience lose their mind over a set like that.

Would like to see Painjerk someday again. I have seen him twice. First one he had full set up. Other time due broken arm, he only basically did lap-top show. That wasn't spectacular, but the full set up noise show among very best. It was hard to figure out how he managed to squeeze always more. Just as the set stepped up into new climax and one could think damn, this must be the ending... but did not. Just more and more and more. To each step make loud seem louder, noisy seem always notch noisier, on level where it is as noisy and as loud as possible in start, is quite unusual skill.  As most are able to maintain the level or drift without point.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

PTM Jim

Quote from: Eigen Bast on December 09, 2019, 02:28:57 AM

Skin Crime Their set ended with a horrific sample of a reporter breaking down as a woman described the condition of a raped and strangled child. Maybe it was the train rolling by every few minutes, but this felt like the perfect distillation of 'true crime electronics'. Made me wish Slogun was on the bill!

This was their version of a "moment of silence " for Keith. The samples are on Victimology and it was the perfect way to honor their decades long friendship without explicitly saying it.

Eigen Bast

Thanks for the info, that's brilliant.

NaturalOrthodoxy

Saw the death/doom band Spectral Voice last night and was pleased to see a noise support slot/intro (he played a full set and the band started seamlessly after him) by Flowering Blade. Very cool minimal industrial/noise with powerful percussive stabs punching through harsh and undulating synth drones with creepy spoken vocals distorted with reverb and delay. Nothing groundbreaking but an excellent atmospheric primer for some good swampy death metal.

Visited the merch stand after and saw that he runs a label called Bleak Environment, boasting current releases from Hander Som Vardar and Kali Malone. I picked up a Flowering Blade tape (along with a live Spectral Voice tape).

Spectral Voice themselves were awesome too, playing in near total darkness save for a LOT of candles, some of which jammed into Buckfast bottles (only in Glasgow!). Set lowlight was a drunk metalhead deciding to steal a lit candle and stage dive with it in her hand. The other death metal supports were great too, especially locals Coffin Mulch!

l.b.

i thought pain jerk at hospital fest was really boring!! laptop set with a few minutes of 4/4 kick drum (!!!) at the beginning just fucked it all off for me. it seemed like other people liked it but most of it was weak digital sounding filter-swept noise.

Pigswill

December 6, 2019 - Fire-Toolz at Bar Fly
If I remember correctly, this was Fire-Toolz / Angel Marcloid's first show in Minnesota. Really energetic set with a heavy emphasis on the psychedelic projected visuals. The images, sounds, and lyrics are like the result of a 90s introvert who grew up consuming mass media and tech, tried to upload their consciousness onto the net (ala Jobe in The Lawnmower Man (and I'm just now noticing that the visuals for that movie were done by Angel Studios, huh)), but the upload failed and the user's brain is seizing as it melts into a rainbow-colored puddle of neurological ooze. Nobody I talked to before the show had heard about this project before, but the audience was very receptive, headbanging during the heavier parts and cheering when things would calm down a bit. The music itself is a really unusual blend of styles, characteristically vaporwave, techno, and black metal vocals, but it works unexpectedly well. Definitely a fun show. I am glad I finally got to see it after following this act for so long. Would go again.

FreakAnimalFinland

It's been while since this topic was active! Meanwhile, been at noise gigs quite frequently. Current situation seems like noise gigs happen all the time. Now in Finland, we had Pain Appendix yesterday at Helsinki private gig. Today would be Metsäkirkko in Kouvola. Sunday would be Pain Appendix, Savage Gospel and more in Tampere. Next week thursday Worth and Pain Appendix and more in Oulu... fuck! Heard of multiple plans from various people, things happening just about every month, sometimes multiple times.

Yesterday, invite shows in Helsinki. Reason mostly the absolutely tiny "venue", being small garage. Bunch of good shows been in this place. Evening starts with Ruttokosmos, which was bleak and depressive Black Metal. Kind of oddity on the bill, but perhaps it also worked as kind of pre-rehearsal for soon-to-come Steelfest gig. I am about 100% sure it works better in claustrophobic darker basement, than huge metal festival stage. Metal gigs like this, would be certainly nice too!
Atrophist played next. Man has been improving swiftly with his tape releases and previous live I saw was pretty good. I was told man is doing first soundcheck. Judging from outside, sounds good! Then we wait and wait and start to ask... so.. is this the soundcheck or.. gig? And I've been mentioned he said he is checking sound... well turns out that was the gig. Well... I'll catch his set sometime soon anyways, I suppose! Sound very good outside, hah..
AUGMENTED ATROCITY was first kind of Kovana side project, and had a bit of the side project feel to it. Couple mini edition tapes exists. Soon we'll be hearing debut full length on Aussaat. Waiting for that! Short, loud, abruptly ending noise set with boomy bassy throbbing tone, buried vocals and smashing metal sheet - running into audience and small pit emerging and audience smashing metal junk. For its length, decent energetic gig.
Unclean mentioned that after such gig, he'll have more laid back, slower paced gig. That's it. Simple layer of oscillation, contact mic'ed pile of chains going through efx, very old school tricks of distortion/delay pedal wank, that I tend to like. Actually he was using delay pedal I advised to buy while ago, to get some better results. Good to see it in use. Vocals were quiet in mix, heavily effected and actually when getting louder and tone changed to screaming - it made better impact when clearly penetrating the heavy oscillation. I heard some youngsters say outside after gig that Unclean is among very best Finns active in Finnish live. It is true that no so much of more heavy electronics oriented gigs there! Harsh noise you'll find. Weirdo noise too, but amount of bleak monochrome heavy electronics... ain't much competition for Unclean at the moment!
Pain Appendix, displayed well why he was on tour. When you are good in doing noise, it stands out just that notch above. Experience with live situation maybe? He got more ripping sound from PA. He knew how to treat the acoustic metal source that we'll be no listening the acoustic sounds of smashing and crashing over PA, but he had metal object with spring on it, carving it with knife, making physically quiet sounds, that then was heard in form of loud ripping harsh noise from PA. That's the way to do it. When you know limitations of sound system, space, seen others perform, and most things that were challenge with former set, was sort of technically resolved now? That's what it felt. Rough loops, playing his metal object in sync with grinding loops, assaulting into free form harshness, fierce screaming getting buried under the noise, storming into audience and the Finn noise drunkards celebrating opportunity of bouncing into eachother in small crammed garage. Good fun.

And most of all inspiring. Each noise gig where been attending, feels like.. I got to resume noise live playing. But like this. No big fests. No travel abroad. No warming slots for big touring music artists.. just deepest noise underground.

EDIT: For the finns who hesitate, I recommend to go to gigs sunday (tampere), thursday (outlu). Check the gig announcement section for more details. 

FreakAnimalFinland

SÄHKÖINEN MATINEA 5
23.4.2023 - Tampere, Finland

Video report with 2 mins each artists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkhJkQUZ-9I

Pain Appendix tour going on. After friday private show in helsinki, he went to Obscurex fest for saturday and then returned back to Finland for sunday late afternoon electronic matinee.  For those who wanted to see some experimental stuff in Finland, had opportunity to check Metsäkirkko show in Saturday at Kouvola. Horns and loops and weird atmospheric soundscapes played in front of psychedelic video displayed on big screen (video here: https://youtu.be/OaG2bSN9BW4 ).

Sähköinen Matinea is organized at neat gallery space. Bright daylight, late afternoon, starting at 17:00. Obscure paintings and other art on the walls, little shop area selling mostly indie vinyl records and other things. I grabbed one pornographic art zine from there. Arrived at half past three, and there was opportunity enjoy the sunny afternoon, drinking some beer in front of venue chatting with friends, some that haven't seen in recent times. Bands setting up, soundchecks, merch table set with some stuff. There is fairly decent crowd for sunday show, yet of course venue doesn't get heavily crowded.

Absolute Key announces at the beginning of gig, that he has never done stuff like he is about to do. Yep. That doesn't mean there would be something absolutely new, though! Some Finnish master-class noise makers have often joked how the Finn noise starter pack is basically:
Bucket, filled with some metal junk and glass, and then guy smashing microphone into that bucket. That has been seen so many times. Variations includes glass, metal objects, chain, etc sometimes mask, sometimes not. This time, no mask. Glass was not lightbulbs like I recall one recent bucket gig having, but Absolute Key variation included drinking wine from classy wine glasses and then smashing them into bucket and hammering some harsh noise out of it. So, slightly spiced variation of old finn noise standard. Works ok, kind of one idea show as well as sound, but for what it is, it works. Absolute Key has huge variety in what he does, with 3 other harsh noise bands, perhaps his more experimental work could have been more striking? I'll be curious to hear if he decides to make a releases of pure harsh noise, what that will turn out to be.

Like mentioned on post above, I missed the Atrophist show in Helsinki. Now I made sure to watch it from beginning to end. 15 minute blast of noise had very good moments, and then some searching of sounds. Like from video documentation you can see, the shift from harsher electronic assault, he would sometimes leap into ultra-sonic high pitched electronics and the harsh stuff creeping quietly underneath it. Then get back to blasting. Video catches one of those transitions, but after that moment, it quickly got louder. Artist mentioned Helsinki show was better than this. He had weird candle performance incorporated with sound. Due playing in daylight, it wasn't that striking element, but the ending "pyro technics" was funny, almost as if set was timed for it? Atrophist has been developing nicely and his recent tapes are good to get.

I asked Savage Gospel what the show is going to be, and it was "one idea harsh noise" -type thing. Both guys blasting harshness from item/set up what they had, for 10 minutes, and that's that. Unlike the others, SG played mostly with amps. So, turning amps loud, and slightly psychedelic feedback howl accompanied the incapitantsy' harsh due blast. Lacking the spastic fast modulation that the Japanese masters have, replacing that with kind of Americanoise vibes but without the 90's crunch. Good stuff. I think they aimed for 15 mins, but it really was closer to 10, which felt perfectly enough, considering that what SG does, was certainly the "one idea noise set". There wasn't any beginning, no development and the end was just.. well, stopping to play. If one aims to do 20-30 mins set, it feels that there has to be a bit more. For 10-15, it works to do "one song". Their new split CD with Incapacitants is for me, easily the best thing what they have done.

Pain Appendix was obviously the last one. While his set was basically using similar ideas that he had in Helsinki, it became very clear how much sound system and atmosphere of venue changes it. Claustrophobic and dark feel of Helsinki, with tiny space filled with loud rumbling noise changed into light filled gallery feel, empty room space, crisp and clear PA sound. Not that much of physical action of kind of live frenzy he had in Helsinki. Not bad, though! This is not negative remark, as the counter balance really was both seeing his gear, seeing better what he was doing, hearing the clear from-mixer-to-soundboard -quality line sound from PA. It had the distortion, feedback, object carving with knife, rhythmic bounding of spring attached to his metal object... but sounding very different, due the atmosphere. Almost laid back, as opposed to violent or oppressive.

I liked the venue, I liked the early hours of playing. Although, must say that returning home almost midnight didn't feel like it was THAT early. I liked relatively short sets and meeting the old and new friends that haven't seen for long time. Like said on post above, now there are plenty of noise shows to happen in Finland. Keeping eye on SI gig announcements can be worth it! I also like that there are shows with currently active noise, and no need to even book some "cult headline artists". Like there was announced that save the date, huge noise gig about to come in tampere 26.8.2023. I instantly wondered.. pain jerk? masonna? Altar of flies? What would be the big noise gig?!?! And turns out it is actually 5 new finn noise acts: Amek-Maj, Corral Shut, Haudat, Tyhjä Pää, Residual. And further more, in small venue with capacity of less than 50 people.. so I guess people better get in touch with organizer for some details if they want to get in! At least for one artist, it will be the debut live.

RURAL RESISTANCE

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 24, 2023, 09:42:29 AMFor those who wanted to see some experimental stuff in Finland, had opportunity to check Metsäkirkko show in Saturday at Kouvola. Horns and loops and weird atmospheric soundscapes played in front of psychedelic video displayed on big screen (video here: https://youtu.be/OaG2bSN9BW4 ).

To be precise, the backing image wasn't actually a video. It was live projection done by the VJ and he reacted on spot to the sound that was being played. There was a camera that was filming a turntable-type-of-thing and he dropped various objects onto it and projected it onto the canvas through a kaleidoscope effect. For example lichen, hawthorn spikes and pine needles were being used.

The spoken word in the beginning is a quote from a Finnish esoteric geography blog. The whole article can be read here: http://esoteerinenmaantiede.blogspot.com/2015/11/eramaa-ja-elamansuojelu.html

Atrophist

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 24, 2023, 09:42:29 AM. Due playing in daylight, it wasn't that striking element, but the ending "pyro technics" was funny, almost as if set was timed for it?

Hah, I think about half a dozen people asked about this afterwards. It was just one of those perfect coincidences and synchronicities. Or perhaps influence from voodoo gods, who knows?

These Brazilian ritual candles are super unpredictable — it would be impossible to time a performance to them, because they are all different and typically every time at least one of the six charges doesn't blow up at all

Commander15

27.4.2023: Worth, Pain Appendix, Tyhjä Pää & The New Boyfriends @ Tukikohta, Oulu FI

Such an dream team line-up! PA delivered the best noise release of 2022 and latest Worth CD has been praised by everyone with good taste. TP and TNB are among the very best of the current Finnish noise, Tyhjä Pää's latest Satatuhatta CD was an real gem and TNB's first two tapes have just been reissued in CD. So my hopes were high on this!

Maybe about 30 - 40 attendees at the show, which was much more than i expected due to shitty weather and thursday night in Oulu. Atmosphere was laid-back and couple of distros (shout out to Rupu Tapes and Cursed Tapes) were present. The main benefit of Tukikohta as an place for noise and industrial shows are two massive, high quality PA systems that really do make an difference. Shows are heard loud and clear with good levels of sound pressure.

Tyhjä Pää started the night with his original, super professional and precise take on cut-up noise. It is really enjoyable to watch Räkis commanding his gear with iron will and discipline, being in complete and utter command of his electronics. One of the sound sources seemed to be some kind of contact mic'd(?) small metal cage that was being hit with an bass drum pedal. Fast moving, ever evolving and hard hitting show! Live sound was super punchy and direct, i suspect that the reason for that was the two Yamaha solid-state amps that was used for main amplification of TP set. Next up was Pain Appendix. Just perfect kind of industrial-noise done with skill and dedication. The set was kind of this one large movement that had certain sense of slowly built dramatic arch. It grew slow and sneaky, layers were built upon layers until there was this enormous mass of suffocating sound that filled the whole space. Pete had some problems with vocal mic but it didn't effect the intensity of the show. Immersive experience.

Worth was the third act. Odd, broken noise with effects pedals, tapes, mics and one broken mixer. Heavy, heavy gig. Started with baffling broken hissing that left me wondering that was it intentional or was some device just broken. Either way it built the tension until the noise really kicked in and what a sound! Broken, moody noise with monochrome overall feeling to it. At times it wasn't far off from, let's say, HÖH or Capers but with more sinister and violent undercurrents. Super good. Last act was The New Boyfriends and damn... The world's best junk metal noise act at the moment, it is that good. Power tools, construction site stuff, concrete mixer, kitchen sink and fuckloads of positive energy emanating from sweaty bodies of Aprapat and Mogao dudes. Life affirming experience once again, this is something where words fail to describe the whole experience! I mean, it's just two guys and loads of metal, but it did really transcendent itself above the sum of it's parts. Check the Youtube for live videos.

Five out of five night, good conversations and lot's of noise.