Skullflower + Total + Sunroof + etc

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 29, 2010, 08:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I know there are tons of skullflower topic on internet, but why not one more. This morning I extended my arm forward, grabbed as much 7"s as I can fit in my hand, and start to put them on turntable. One after another, some giving few extra spins. And  just basically by accident, a lot of them happened to be Skullflower 7"s.

Slaves / Satany my black ass, steve albini = jim steinman  7" on forced exposure is a bit let down. Despite being pretty old 7", it's somehow doesn't really get the drive or focus like other 7"s have. Well, I guess "drive" and "focus" are pretty relative terms. Thinking how sloppy and stagnant some of the material is. And how loosely the screech of feedback driven noise rock goes. Anyways, you hear the difference when something like Rift / Avalanche 7" hits the turntable. Lots of dense layering, lots of feedback, sloppy drum beat and charming distorted rubbish of electrified strings on top. Some delay effected yelling too. 1990.  Stepping couple years forward and Evel Knievel / Teenage Lightning Diamond Bullet introduces nicer heavily reverbed drum sound, wahwah treated guitar noises, distant vocals, crunchy bass lines. B-side from different session, perhaps more in your face sound, but very much in same methods. Fast wahwah guitar noise on top, some nice movie samples kind of reminding me of glory days of Cosmonauts Hail Satan.  Just perfect.
Rotten sun / Spook Rise 7", seems more sludgy works of 1990. Tempo is very relaxed, simple distorted bass lines and drum beat and nice effect treated guitar wandering on top of everything, with distorted vocals. 7 minute song goes with same style/tempo like drug crazed jam, with vocals delay being manipulated into psychedelic effects. Track two goes back in 1988. Clearer sound, dense and heavy. Very nice.
WhiteFang #2 / Glassy Essence on freek is already 1994 release, and first release ever of Freek Records in UK. Noisier, more chaotic lo-fi sound than older stuff. B-side goes on full on brutal noise walls create with instruments. It's like Slugbait or Hijokaidan or whatever these noisers who abuse guitar, bass, drums, to create massive wall of noise. Line-up includes Philip Best, Bower, Dennison, Smith..
Release recorded same month as above mentioned 7" came out is Choady Foster / Spent Force. Well, 6th in line of skullflower 7"s, listened straight away, one can say it might not be as noisy as Glasy Essence. It may not reach the superiority of Avalanche or Evel Knievel, but it's a must have 7" for those who like this era of Skullflower.

I really liked when they have those early albums. LP's on UK labels and the phenomenal CD on RRRecords. I like all the 7"s. Never regretted buying any of them. But the later works.......... when they started to... ehm.. suck? There are pretty decent later discs as well, but hardly matching the superiority of the old works. But some are also plain horrible.

The sound of these 7"s is part of the charm. They have none of the modern qualities of "tough guy music". No "heaviness", no "ultra bass", no "in your face loudness"... It's just sloppy, screechy, spontaneous, raw...  Was these 7"s ever compiled on CD? Kind of would hope that it would bring the goodies to ears of new crowd in affordable format, but that basically means one misses the great presentation which is equally clumsy, equally directionless and surprising. You get 7" and it might have whatever in artwork. And that brings the good wibe of spontaneous & personal crafmanship.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Matthias

The one Skullflower release i return to the most seems to be Exquisite Fucking Boredom. RRR album is great as well.
Haven't heard many of the early releases, a collection of the best 7"s would be nice (if it hasn't already been made?)!
As for newer stuff, i think the Second Layer album was great, esp. Drenched In Moonsblood.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Apart from 3rd Gatekeeper and the odd track here and there one of the most overrated bands of our time.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

I think the charm of Skullflower, to me, in all those qualities what makes it probably overrated on eyes of many others. One can always say that you can seek something like best of the kraut rock bands or the best of the feedback driven industrial bands a'la Godflesh to get much better results, but for "punky" and "junky" basement feedback rock filth with no tightness or music business appeal, I think these are great. When that approach was abandoned in favor or something else, I didn't get much out of later works.

Steve

Skullflower were of their time. That time was 1989/90. I remember getting their first LP "Form Destroyer" and falling in love with it. I got it because it was on Broken Flag Records. I was unaware of what sound as on the disc, but I saw the LP, liked the title, liked the label so bought it. The sound of heavy drums and distorted power chords came as a complete surprise, but I loved it. It sat well with Ramleh's "Grudge For Life" LP. The next hearing for me was "3rd Gatekeeper" which ran out of steam at around track 3. Sub Glitter Band stuff. "Blues For H.M."?? Around this time there was a lot of these sub-metal groups like Pitchshifter and Godflesh doing the rounds and Skullflower were fitting in nicely. I do think "Bad Alchemy" and "Choady Foster" are good little slabs of vinyl, but the title "Spent Force" kinds of sums it up for me for Skullflower around this period. I think the year was 1994 and I bought "Adieu, All You Judges" CD, the split with Ramleh - and that was me with both bands. A dire release, both bands devoid of ideas and just seeming to say "how long can we get away with this shite".
I witnessed Skullflower live last year for the first time ever. I was just 20 years too late!!
I love "Form Destroyer" LP - Just a shame they didn't pack it in and changed name after that album.

Andrew McIntosh

I brought a copy of the "Evil Kneaval/Diamond Bullet" 7" in the 90's based on what I had read in the local zine. Found it very disappointing; to my ears, a kind of lo-fi standard issue grunge. Haven't been that interested since.
Shikata ga nai.

Ashley Choke

The newer recordings really does it for me. Taste The Blood Of The Deceiver , Pure Imperial Reform etc. Same goes for newer less hippie Hototogisu records like the split with Prurient and the Under the Rose LP. Totally piercing guitar walls! Like some horrible trip gone bad

I felt truly honored to be able to share a record with Skullflower when we released the Skulflower/Limepit split lp. Just yesterday listened to the Xaman lp, totally blown out rock-jams sometimes even reminding me of Butthole Surfers

catharticprocess

I think "Form Destroyer" is one of the greatest albums of all time.  Maybe the people on this forum would be most impressed with "Pure Imperial Reform" - an amazing harsh guitar noise album. Matthew Bower is, to me, one of the greatest artists of all time, and someone who's entire catalog I enjoy.

Steve

One thing that has surprised me, is why has Matthew Bower ressurected the Skullflower moniker as the sound he is producing now - and I can only go by the sound of their live show last year in London - is no different to the other monikers he has been using, stuff like Total, or Sunburned Hand, or Sunroof! etc, etc, there are more I am certain. I can only be cynical behind the reasoning. Same goes for Ramleh too!

FreakAnimalFinland

I did wonder this too. Since there doesn't seem to be good logic why something is "total", something "sunroof" and something "skullflower". And when all projects progress / regress slightly loosely, you can't really tell why certain project name is chosen, which it actually sounds like it could have been the other...
Just like for example works of Mark Solotroff often is. You listen to SSS, I.Action, Bloodyminded, 14th Day, Terre Blanche, Super8loop, Mark Solotroff solo works, Bloodyminded recycled works,.. and in the end you wonder how many different names you need to play with pretty much same synth? Occasionally other members, of course, but....

(Of course one could blame myself as well, since there is definite overlap with side projects I may have done, but I would like to believe it's not going to THAT extent, and for artistic reason separation can be once in a while necessary)

Steve

I would state that your output as Alchemy In the 20th Century (the very little I have heard - Kaos Kontrol tape + Bawler 7") is very different from your output as Grunt or Nicole 12. You are exonerated Mikko! 

MR STAB

I have never understood the appeal of skullflower their performance supporting whitehouse in london was very under par! seriously i have tried but i just dont get it

GEWALTMONOPOL

One of those bands who seem willing to release anything, anywhere and all the time as well. Not that I've heard everything from the last few years shitstorm of releases but that is very often a good indicator of a band who've lost the fucking plot.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

bitewerksMTB

I had "F.Destroyer", "Xaman" LPs & a bunch of the 7"'s but sold everything. I liked most when I got'em but repeated listens would disappoint me minus the "F.D." LP. I'v enever heard the first 12". Is there a reiss cd of the first 2 releases? I'd like to hear that but not the rest. The 'vibe' about them back then was interesting (reviews of how dirty, dirgy, etc).

I use to pick everything up from Ramleh too but all but a couple things were good for repeated listens ("Careful what you wish for", "Works III"). Alot of the 7"'s sucked for the most part.

Zeno Marx

I keep trying.  It's fun when I'm in the mood.  One of those few artists I don't mind investing time with, again and again, though I never get them.  And if nothing else, the repeated tries, with no positive outcome, make it especially funny when the feeding frenzy occurs with a new, limited release.  One or two of the Total albums got repeated listens.  I need to stop borrowing them and find my own copies.

EDIT:  also one of those artists who strikes me as easier to appreciate through their body of work rather than through any particular release.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.