V I V E N Z A

Started by kettu, January 25, 2010, 07:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kettu

if somebody asked me whats this "industrial"  that I hear people talking about? I would say listen to vivenza. machines doing their thing until they are turned off. metal moving in repetetive motion with something that  sounds like loops but if the scattered info ive found is true then its indeed more moving parts and not studio magic.

I bought the re-issue of Realites Servomecaniques and im eagerly awaiting MODES RÉELS COLLECTIFS  to come out on rotorelief ( I guess this year but cant be sure as I have no info other than "forthcoming") from the somewhat hazy text I take that there will be even more things or that modes will be a big old pile of stuff from the dark past.

Ive managed to find beweging tijd ruimte,unite objective,De Fabriek & Vivenza - Music For Metaal(split) from the internets and have come to the conclusion that this is one of the greatest things ever. ive not heard rrrolfs compilation bruitiste but it looks like something to reissue for sure. maybe there is need for a french industrial thread as there are a few classic bands there?

live or "studio" it urinates corroding acid over others whom have attempted to make some industrial jams with a few paintcans and guitar effects.

my fanboy request for reissues or bootleggers would be  to include a  construction helmet with the gogwheelsmasher logo along with the actual sounds.

go on you people with  more info and insight to this legendary unit.

P-K

yes, he delivers what most only mimick : machine sounds.....seriously looking forward to the Rotor-reissues, hopefully EVERYTHING

friend saw him 'live', long ago in Aachen i think : one reel-to-reel deck next to the other.....

FreakAnimalFinland

Been worshipping this for years and luckily have most of things I want from him. Anyone selling that Syntactic records 7" for reasonable price? Don't feel like paying 80$ for something so recent and short. I think perhaps most relevant would be re-issues of the tapes. I'm sure there are good tapes, and I'm not feeling like paying insane top dollar for original tapes.

Anyways, I think the LP is good. I was only bidder on ebay some years ago. Haven't listened re-issue LP, but re-issue CD sounds decent. 12" and 7" got much much more rotation in my house. Especially 12" is just phenomenal. There was days when I didn't listen anything else than that. 5 times in row and wondering do I dare to take it off turntable, and ... no, one more spinning. And anyone interested in Vivenza and similarities, can't live without Bruitiste 2xLP. One side each: Vivenza, Esplendor Geometrico, Etant Donnes, P16.D4. RRR 1988. Big pressing, but pretty wanted still today.

I've said it elsewhere, not sure if on this board, but while Vivenza manifests about non-human touch in music, just sound of machines, in the end it manages to sound much more "organic" than a lot of modern day music. Perhaps amusing fact that there is more character, more personality and more compositional skill in simple installation of machine sounds, than someone trying to play something but sounding like product, instead of piece of art.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tiny_tove

He played in Italy in the 90's through some people I know.
I agree with everything you guys said and add that I hope his writings regarding futurism, dynamism and rationalism would be translated in English.
I have some Italian versions and they have inspired my obsession with rationanilst architecture (which incidentally has its masterpieces in my town).

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

I REALLY wish Rotorelief had some USA distribution.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

they did recently... was it Brume, Pacific 213 etc.. Ordered some of those for shop. Not sure if goes to mailorder due price, but finns might find them in shop. Those new vinyl all 250 copies I think?

Zeno Marx

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 25, 2010, 10:53:34 PM
they did recently... was it Brume, Pacific 213 etc.. Ordered some of those for shop.
They emailed me and said there was no North American distribution.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

that doesn't surprice me, though.
There was moments when I didn't have pretty much any distribution there.
Euro currency, shipping rates, and all that...
I just calculated about the prices of my next vinyl LP and I see that I can't trade it overseas. It simply costs so much to manufacture to send around (each copy c. 500g weight due special covers!) that unless trade item I got, has retail value of 20 euro, it makes no sense to do trade. When calculating simply costs of manufacturing & shipping, I believe price is too hard for USA. Japanese might still take it. I assume these are realities other labels have too. Too bad genre is so small, there isn't really potential to press licensed US edititions.

kettu

Quote from: tiny_tove on January 25, 2010, 10:21:47 AM

I agree with everything you guys said and add that I hope his writings regarding futurism, dynamism and rationalism would be translated in English.
I have some Italian versions and they have inspired my obsession with rationanilst architecture (which incidentally has its masterpieces in my town).

what exactly are these writings? I mean ive read that hes a "writer" but I assumed it might be sugarcoating it. something he did prior to his career as taskmaster for the machines or are they related?

Bloated Slutbag

Much as I love Vivenza, nothing quite prepared me for the incredible Aerobruitisme Dynamique. Here the argument for composition, Man over Machine, could be won. A lot of his earlier work - Metallurgie, Machines - seems aimless, even collage-y, by comparison. It's quite nice to sit there and slowly sink into the Matallurgical layerings, ushering stoned sensibilities blissfully into an arhythmic catatonia. But a lot of this earlier shit lacks the sense of progression which captivates the AD listener inside its carefulyl plotted, billowing, embrace. The source material helps. Jet engine metaphors have always served my favorite kind of racket well (Rocket Shrine, anyone?); the literal answer to that is almost too perfect, history practically writes itself. What Vivenza then does with the materials at hand makes all the difference, the arrangements bordering on orchestral at times. (Side note. I seem to recall the inimitable B. saying he planned to do something very similar via Isolrubin BK, a much more full-on, "pure", follow-up to the marginally successful Crash Injury Trauma, but he pulled the plug because he felt the profusion of harsh, mainly Japanese, noise had rendered such endeavours redundant. Pity.)

I read - or tried, several times, to read - the essay published with AD (a real academic affair, that, with proper citations, extensive futurist quotations, all the trimmings), and despite having spent most of HS French class trying to bag the Spanish hotties surrounding my desk...

Spanish hotties... oh fuck yeah, mmm-hmmm... delicious shiver... yeah-heahea...

Fuck, where was I? Scuse me while I make a few adjustments...

Ahem. Well, I think I mean to say, from what I gathered, Vivenza seems to see that particular work as an orthodox, current day, reading of the futurist dream. A natural progression, inevitable as it was necessary.

Damn, think it's necessary to bust out the Vivenza toot sweet.

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

FreakAnimalFinland

Today was listening "Fondements Bruitistes" CD from 1994, with first 7" and then mostly live tracks from 80's as "filler".  Not really filler at all, but live material actually comes with almost equal clarity and intensivity as studio works. It's hard to find adjectives other than not used here before, just guaranteed job.
I just wonder how were live shows? Is it all tapes being played or actually some machines? This CD is good purchase if you happen to find it. Better to invest money on this than the original 7". Probably for fraction of money you get more artwork and much more music.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I had close contact with Jean - Marc in the end of 1990s.  I remember his performance from 1994 in Łódź (very industrialized Polish city), it was very interesting - one of the best show which I saw in my life. VIVENZA was as conductor of machines. He used documentary movies which recorded in Polish factories before. Many white and red lights, darkness, and his diabolical face. I interviewed him to my zine STETOSKOP. I was surprised his negative opinion about old school industrial and japan noise. I felt his large knowledge but unfortunately, he was arrogant too. In last two years I have tried to contact him. I wanted (and I still want to) to reissue something from his earlier career. I have got almost all his original tapes and I guess that it should be done.

Zeno Marx

A Vivenza box set sounds like something to actually get excited about (as long as Vinyl on Demand isn't involved).   Complete releases with original artwork represented, etc.  Useful, thorough documentation.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 29, 2010, 10:17:57 AM
Much as I love Vivenza, nothing quite prepared me for the incredible Aerobruitisme Dynamique. ........... Jet engine metaphors have always served my favorite kind of racket well (Rocket Shrine, anyone?); the literal answer to that is almost too perfect, history practically writes itself. What Vivenza then does with the materials at hand makes all the difference, the arrangements bordering on orchestral at times. (Side note. I seem to recall the inimitable B. saying he planned to do something very similar via Isolrubin BK, a much more full-on, "pure", follow-up to the marginally successful Crash Injury Trauma, but he pulled the plug because he felt the profusion of harsh, mainly Japanese, noise had rendered such endeavours redundant. Pity.)

To me, this CD is, maybe slightly surprisingly, weakest of all Vivenza. But it's still very very good. I just felt that the very pure and very clear concept sound of jet engines, by passing planed and possibly cars etc.. slips somehow out of my interest. The rotation of some industrial mechanism, clashing metals, repeating patterns, and so on, I can listen for all my life. But when it goes to simply listening planes fly over... hmm...   Of course this is NOT that simple. We're not talking about just field recordings. I think the long, over 60 minutes CD goes somewhere. It develops better while you go ahead and listen to it. However, as much as I pretent to know about art and such, the bottom line remains that piece has to work as "musical experience" for me. No manifest or concept will make car engine be worth to listen to. Unless it's made listenable. And perhaps the dominating repeated "sweeps" of the early part of disc is turn off, as opposed to more ongoing & texturally rich Vivenza rhythm. But I could still say that if anyone sees this CD available anywhere for decent price, it is worth to grab anyways.

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I think that VIVENZA tried to look for spirituality and transcendence in factories, technological mechanisms, and... aeroplane engines were the best form his vision about that. I love his "Fondements Bruitistes" album, from very substantial machine work sounds, all music developes to very abstract ambient music.