Comics and graphic novels

Started by tiny_tove, May 03, 2011, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jake

Never EVER been too much of a manga reader, but I now find myself several books into the Akira series. FANTASTIC. Engrossing/fast paced sci-fi storyline, multiple characters to keep track of, graphic violence, drug abuse, gangs, paranormal powers, knife fights. In love with this series at the moment. Any other similar/worth while manga mentions?

ConcreteMascara

Cliche, but Ghost in the Shell and anything else by Masamune Shirow
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

m.

not a big fan of comics, but i think that the Breccia's works inspired by Lovecraft novels is great.
I like the mixed styles: "standard" comics, collages, pictures, abstract stuff...

here some pics + some download links:
http://www.taringa.net/comunidades/cthulhu/3536861/Los+Mitos+de+Cthulhu%253A+versi%25C3%25B3n+HD+-+Lovecraft+%252B+Breccia.html

ARKHE

After reading some Gaiman, Hellblazer & other Vertigo stuff ten years ago, I rediscovered the whole deal with graphic novels recently. Got some Jodorowsky stuff (Technopriests and the Incal) at the library - even though the manuscript is oversimplified and obvious, the whole visionary aspects behind the storylines are huge.
Also got a part of the DMZ series, about a near-future civil war in the US where New York has seceded, depicting terrorists and journalists and whatnot. Probably the most convincing graphic novel I've read in terms of script and characters - it actually felt real, rather than just "comics for grownups". Have to get hold of the other issues.

Speaking of Lovecraft, John Coulthart's "Haunter of the Dark" is pretty nice.

tiny_tove

if you like Breaccia, check out Dino Battaglia... one of the best Italian graphic novelists/illustrators

this is really nice indeed:

http://pinktentacle.com/2009/10/anatomy-of-japanese-folk-monsters/
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

WATERPOWER

Quote from: Peterson on November 15, 2011, 01:00:16 AM
Re-read Swamp Thing Vols. 1-6. Great shit! Has to be a runner-up for my favorite comic.

I read the first trade and loved it. Moore's take on Swamp Thing was brilliant. So dead inside, lost everything, lives on only nostalgia. The new 52 Swamp Thing is surprisingly good. Violent, psychedelic, etc. They've done a good job thus far.

I've raved about it on the Stench forums, but the new ongoing Hellraiser is very good. And BOOM! has also been putting out Hellraiser: Masterpieces which collects all the old comics- very good stories. The Faustian puzzle stories never get old in my mind.

If I could go back to the Spawn topic, I recently indulged in Spawn and have been liking it a lot. BUT by far is the issue Dave Sim wrote, where Cerebus shows Spawn what NOT to be, which of course was Sim's message to McFarlane. The most interesting part of Spawn is having the individual issues and reading the letters McFarlane got and his responses. Makes for a great read.

GEWALTMONOPOL

Being a teenager in the 80's was great because we had magazines like Epix, Pox and Galago in Sweden. One of my most vivid memories from Epix was a character called Stan Caiman.

A rough translation:

Mongoloid bitch!! I'm fed up with your Chinese food!

You alcoholic Barbarian!

You worthless Chink! You've caved in my fontanelle!

Oh, forgive your slave, oh master!

My scrofulous forefathers submit at the feet of yours.

*Nice position*

Yes, yes, mount your simple woman!

But don't spill your seed, let it rise along my spine in accordance with the Tantric ritual.

COULD YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP!?!

Try oh my swine, concentrate!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

WATERPOWER

Yet another reason to learn Swedish. Thanks for posting that!

MT

I am a fan (since 9 years old when I first got it subscribed, don't ask me how!) of the classic dirt comic release called Myrkky. Still the finest of toilet library.

MUTTERWILD

I recommend "Where Demented Wented" by Rory Hayes for anyone interested in Undergound Comix of the 60's-70's.

Amazing raw and crazy drawings of sex and violence with an evil psychedelic twist....great stuff.

influencing machine

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 26, 2012, 09:51:00 PM
Quote from: NERVES on June 29, 2011, 09:17:34 AM
Old School Underground Comix!

I would highly recommend checking out Zap, Slow Death, Fantagor, Death Rattle, Tales from the Leather Nun, and of course Weirdo if your at all into 60's and 70's counterculture weirdness.  They go in and out of print periodically it seems, but it is fairly easy to find less than mint used copies on Ebay for a decent price.

I still have a pile of underground comics I use to find in the adult room of  a used bookstore when I was a teenager. Robert Crumb's WEIRDO was very cool; sold all of those years ago on ebay. S.Clay Wilson is one of my faves.

i just picked up a handful of issues of zap, slow death and weirdo from a bookstore in sf this weekend. they still had some copies of some of the more recent reprints for $3-$4 each. also got the madwoman of the sacred heart graphic novel by jodorwosky and moebius but havent gotten the chance to read any of it yet.

tiny_tove

Best Italian satirical comic of the last year.

Excellent design, and totally demented un-pc short stories.
Originally featured on lLivorno left-wing satyirical magazine IL VERNACOLIERE, now available in elegant volumes.

Anybody who reads Italian must read it.

Levas

This one reads "even noise of Masami Akita cannot wake him up"

tiny_tove

Garth Ennis' Crossed was  a bit a disappointment for me, I don't know why. I have read the first tome and despitre the fantastic ultra-violent scenes I feel it like a gorier Walking Dead, minus the in depth psychology.
There is definitely something.

I would like to buy the other volumes, but I am not sure which order I am supposed to follow.

Check out David Lapham's CALIGULA

I loved it from start to end.
Although some scenes are a bit too dark and I needed light to properly see them, and some faces look alike.

Black_Angkar

Comics is the most appreciated form of culture for me, and it has been for as long as I can remember. The easy access to "adult comics" via second hand shops was an excellent way to experience transgressive culture at an early formative age. So I've grown up with a keen interest in both mainstream and alternbative comics. I have probably spent more money on graphic novels and comics than I have on any of my other major interests, including music and film. In fact i like it so much I only really dislike syndicated comedy stuff...

The access to good anthology magazines from the late eighties and early nineties gave quite a broad spectrum of styles.

I'd say my personal favorites are

The classic proto-Vertigo writers and titles like Grant Morrison (the Invisibles and the Filth being his finest, but also New X-men, 7 soldiers of Victory, Zenith and Doom Patrol being almost perfect), Alan Moore (V for Vendetta and Swamp Thing being my favs, of the late stuff I'd say Promethea. Not so keen on Watchmen though), Hellblazer in most incarnations (the original Delano run being the best, followed by Mike Carey and parts of Garth Ennis run, especially Dangerous Habits and the one where a demon possesses Prince Charles), Milligans "Shade the changing man" was also fantastic most of the way through, too bad most of it remains uncollected. Too bad his take on Hellblazer has been a real underachiever, just like his incredibly boring X-men stuff.

Warren Ellis - I think Transmetropolitan is quite fun, though I like his "Silent City" the best. Planetary was good (and the art was excellent). I also enjoyed his early work on the Authority, before he left and it slowly degenerated into shit.

On the other hand I can't stand Preacher. I never understood what people see in it. Silly, tedious bullshit where everything just pushes too far to be "badass" until it just becomes unbelievably ridiculous, and not in a fun satirical way but just... Perhaps I should give it another read, as I went through it all about ten years ago and never looked back. Maybe I could get into it this time (and I really don't like Dillons illustrations. I don't think he's bad, he's talented indeed but I just don't find it enjoyable. it's like manara, skilled but he only manages a couple of sets of faces, boring. Good at drawing jaws being blown away though).

European sci-fi and art comics(the genre of true masters); with Phillipe Druillet as my absolute no one, followed by other classics - Moebius, Caza and Bilal. Liberatore/Tamburini. Adamov/Cothias. Nazario.

American alternative comics have also influenced me a lot, especially S Clay Wilson (he's a god!), Julie Doucet and Jaime Hernandez Locas, a soapopera with just the right mix of surrealism, social realism, sex and slapstick to make it perfect. Always preferred him before his brother though I've understood many are more fond of Gilbert. Michael Manning is also an excellent artist, perhaps not storywise, but his artwork is fantastic. 

My guilty pleasure no one is superhero comics, despite it being quite crappy most of the time. I got into comics reading Claremonts X-men in the eighties and his mix of soap and generally pessimistic stories (everything was going quite bad all the time) and the pseudofetishist details really made an impact at that young age. I never quite let go of it, though most of it IS horrible.