Comics and graphic novels

Started by tiny_tove, May 03, 2011, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F_c_O

Quote from: krueleco on March 05, 2014, 12:17:06 PM
No one reads manga?
I love suehiro maruo, hideshi hino and shintaro kago (really twisted sense of humor and gore!also his "toys" are strange: i have a keychain wich is a newborn with two heads)
Damn. I was supposed to order a keychain which is a burned corpse from Timeless but they dont seem to have it anymore. Sad.

What grinds my shit that all shintaro kago & suehiro maruo mangas timeless carries are either in japanese or french. Why? Why cant they translate to english? I am somewhat sure that they would sell a bit better. Or not, based on the few people who read such things and prefer illegall downloading to actually owning the things.

tiny_tove

I read many manga. Both extreme/experimental artists like those you mentioned (in love with all of them) and less extreme stuff.
My favourites:
Otomo, Shirow, Monkey Punch, Toryama, Myazaki, Urasawa (my current favourite... Monster and Pluto are absolutely in my top 10 mangas ever), Junji Ito (Tomie and, especially, Uzumaki), Usamaru Furuya (Lychee Light Club!!!), Kurosagi Shitai Takuhaibin (kurosagi), and many others

I also like childish/demented stuff and big robots... We were lucky to be fed with that stuff when we were child to the horror o good-doers and PC cunts who wrote many articles against them in the 70's/80's.

I could go on for hours.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

krueleco

Yes Ito is great...his horror stories are great!really scary and very well draw. I love yamamoto hideo...ichi the killer is great, perhaps my favourite of all time. Story and charachters are great (in my opinion). Also homunculus is a great manga.
In italy we were very lucky (for someone born in the seventies) tons of stuff...robots a gogo! from nagai to gundam!

Cementimental

Quote from: F_c_O on March 05, 2014, 12:52:28 PMjapanese or french. Why? Why cant they translate to english? I am somewhat sure that they would sell a bit better. Or not, based on the few people who read such things and prefer illegall downloading to actually owning the things.
Why would they sell better? Japan and France are the only two countries in the world with a real industry/culture of comics and animation. Financially speaking, anything else falls somewhere between a little extra bonus and a massive not-breaking-even pain for publishers. But yeah it is a shame, fortunately nerds on the internet will translate things for free tho even then more obscure/good things are harder to find or sometimes get abandoned due to lack of interest:(

"Oyasumi Punpun" is a pretty bleak manga some here might appreciate. Great stylistic gimmick of the main character and family being near-abstract scrawled doodles in an otherwise realistic world, starts as dark comedy coming-of-age story and goes elsewhere

FreakAnimalFinland

Yeah, I think there was story about quite large USA publishers who stopped putting out most of manga. Because it was no longer worth it. Translations and PDF's would emerge to internet before "official version" could be done and very few would care of it later on. Bigger japanese companies wouldn't bother about deals anymore, as financial gain of selling rights was so unprofitable compared to all sorts of work it causes.

And add few years after article, and when comic stores are closing just about everywhere. Most players in business complain about lack of possibilities, etc... even if theoretically situation is that publishing (printing etc) is cheaper that ever. Even I could be putting out big hardcover books anytime. But to sell where? And to whom?

My assumption is, that most Finnish comic publishers survive based on two things: 1) funding 2) comic festivals.
Beyond that, financial possibilities or even possibilities to sell stuff is quite thin.

Of course one would assume, that perhaps there was demand for like 200 copies hardcover editions in English, of works of Maruo or Kago for example, for fanatic collectors who are ready to pay even slightly bigger price. But who knows... Probably complexity of publishing deals prevents this kind of things to happen?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

cr

Quote from: F_c_O on March 05, 2014, 12:52:28 PM
Quote from: krueleco on March 05, 2014, 12:17:06 PM
No one reads manga?
I love suehiro maruo, hideshi hino and shintaro kago (really twisted sense of humor and gore!also his "toys" are strange: i have a keychain wich is a newborn with two heads)
Damn. I was supposed to order a keychain which is a burned corpse from Timeless but they dont seem to have it anymore. Sad.

What grinds my shit that all shintaro kago & suehiro maruo mangas timeless carries are either in japanese or french. Why? Why cant they translate to english? I am somewhat sure that they would sell a bit better. Or not, based on the few people who read such things and prefer illegall downloading to actually owning the things.

So, are there any works/books from Shintaro Kago which were translated to English?

cr

Otherwise, just ordered this one:

Theodore

Not long ago i read a comic magazine from 80s, issue dedicated to noir / crime / detective stories. An artist named Jean-Claude Claeys impressed me. He had some books published back then. Unfortunatelly i think there are not english translated editions [Original french] , or at least i haven't seen them. That short story in the zine was very simple, someone was killing several for revenge. I found his artwork amazing. Very realistic. Anyone has read any of his books ? If yes, what he thinks about them ? He still does illustrations but not comics.

Edit: Also if someone can recommend artists / books with similar style, please do !
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

online prowler

In response to the above. Check MATT COYLE's WORRY DOLL.

http://mattcoyle.net/?page_id=14

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLPnj16Kz4

Theodore

Quote from: online prowler on June 26, 2016, 02:33:21 PM

Thanks ! Yes, visually looks close. I see there is a republish in a month, for $11 on the Amazon. I ll probably pre-order it.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

THE RITA HN

more of a classic 'hero comic' admission below...but yeah...

never been into Batman in any way, never have been... was more of a spider-man kid...
but fuck, other than primarily the women of the classical ballet... my life in the last few years has been also driven somewhat by the Terry Dodson pencilled aesthetics of classic Harley Quinn.  I guess part of being in my 'fuck it 40s'... saw her around for years in comic stores, etc.. and then finally ..."fuck it"... took the plunge one day and bought some old Dodson issues, graphic novels, statues, etc.  white face, red or black lips, blackened / masked eyes, multi-colored cat suit.  amazing [just have to ignore all the batman, joker, etc. bullshit].

BUT...
the above is just a written admission that acts as an introduction to my newest fascination... LADY BULLSEYE.  pretty hard to beat the aesthetic, for me anyways.
again - don't even care about daredevil, etc.. but the fetish driven aesthetic of the female character; amazing.

online prowler

Quote from: Theodore on June 27, 2016, 08:13:04 AM
Quote from: online prowler on June 26, 2016, 02:33:21 PM

Thanks ! Yes, visually looks close. I see there is a republish in a month, for $11 on the Amazon. I ll probably pre-order it.

Yea, I saew that as well. Fairly cheap, I don't think you will regret the purchase. Just ordered Tomine's Killing And Dying plus D Clowe's Patience. Should be in soon.

tiny_tove

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

cr

As I'm a big fan of both The Walking Dead graphic novel and TV series, has anybody also read Outcast, the new one from Robert Kirkman (and Paul Azaceta), which already also made it to a TV series!?

david lloyd jones

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on May 04, 2011, 03:32:50 AM
Just to argue the point about Spawn, I'm not saying it's excellent literature, philosophically deep or even mature. It's classic US comic stuff with zero attempt at highbrow. Todd McFarlane's whole focus was on the art, the Image, hints the company Image Comics behind it. Even the art isn't amazing but what I like about it is that it's dedicated to being violent and trashy. I enjoyed it when I was a kid, I enjoy it now. It's like the stuff of '70s exploitation and slasher cinema but with glossier colours and heightened ridiculousness. Works for me!

Edit:

and I forgot to mention before, Lore by Ashley Wood and T.P. Louise.

used to read spawn and other image comics of the time. for me there was a clear parallel between comics and drum and bass  where both  were taking digital  imagery to new areas parallel to sounds of the time along with the various cybernetic philosophies