The artwork of Irving Norman, One of the greatest surrealists unknown.

Started by Mass Graven Image, April 11, 2023, 05:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mass Graven Image

Came across the artwork by Irving Norman through a birthday gift from a friend. The Dark Metropolis title was a collection of most of his body of work.
I was really amazed by the images that I had in no time spent more than an hour collectively studying for more hidden details therein.
I am not sure why he was simply overlooked by the American art establishment until I read more into his personal and social life and views.
Most surrealist painters of the 1940s through the 60s and into the 80s were fawned after, with Dali paving the proverbial road to riches for avant-garde and original artists.

His work, it would seem, in Irving Norman's regard, was a responsibility more than a profession and talent. Almost all of his works are political in nature, and have really profound gravity in the things they say. Irving Norman died in 1989 and was survived by his wife. Irving Norman (1906 - 1989)
I will now leave it to the artwork for explanation, not my bullshit take. Enjoy.[/i]

Andrew McIntosh

Shikata ga nai.

Nasir K.

Some of the work forced them to linger. I really like images that need to be carefully examined, and here it is implemented perfectly. Thank you, Mass Graven Image.

Mass Graven Image

Very glad others are finding enjoyment, and think it is a shame his work is not better known.
Most of his works are extremely detailed and can be closely studied more than once, and still more parts will jump out on return.
There are a number of his pieces that are in the book Dark Metropolis, that are not available online.
Some images are taken from that book, and I will post some more as soon as I retrieve my copy from being on loan.
Here is a link to the book.

Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Metropolis-Irving-Normans-Surrealism/dp/1597140414

Mass Graven Image

As promised here, a few more pieces of work from Irving Norman out of the Dark Metropolis pages. Enjoy.

[/url]