Live recordings as "real album"

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 30, 2023, 10:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I was yesterday listening to VAVA KITORA. It's female duo of Sachiko + Yama-Agako. Latter ones was once interviewed by Special Interests. I often mention that she is Kosakai's wife, just as it is nice nugget of info, but Yama-Agako does her own thing apart of that. There are several curious things about Vava Kitora. At noisiest, it indeed goes into vocal drone, vocal frenzy, meets almost CCCC -esque electro oscillations, but also kind of contemporary take to... japanese folk? Could it be? Some sort of ritual music for the positive and life affirming approach. Not harsh, but for me, it is part of noise milieu as I know it.

Topic what it makes me think, is that this is really a live recording. Especially first track has audience clapping at the end. It makes me want to talk about live recordings as a part of album, which is far more common in Japanese noise than anywhere else, where most of the time they are not considered "live albums", but just albums!

Like think of just about every Incapacitants album. They are probably always live. Usually studio-live and live in front of audience on same album. It is basically most traditional form of Incapacitants to have live track as last piece of album. Hijokaidan is live noise too. Either in studio, or in front of audience. You may buy some sort of release, that is not necessarily specified to be "live album". It is album with new recordings.

Most of the early CCCC is live recordings. Solmania, Merzbow, etc.. list could go on.

I germany, Anenzephalia quite often released recordings of songs that were from gigs. Even full albums. Perhaps it makes it little different since he is indeed playing songs that later were done as "studio versions".

With noise, how do you approach live recordings? If noise is something that is always different, can the live albums be approached like people generally approach rock bands doing live albums. That generally means "only for die hard fans", hah.. Most not caring at all and avoiding any live recordings as much as possible. With noise, it would probably be different, but I do have a feeling that a lot of people carry this idea from normal music, that live album is not... "real album"? While on case of noise, it is odd idea. Perhaps if recording quality is somehow inferior, but many times it may not be.

Live recording / live album favorites?
For me, Hijokaidan, Incapacitants, Genocide Organ - "remember" in particular, Anenzephalia, some earlier Whitehouse live actions,... a lot of things that rise on top of their output.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Leewar

Im a fan of live material, i feel it can sometimes produce another dimension to the sound. Unexpected feedback, sounds mixing to produce unplanned results, recording levels sometimes pushing into the red to blur the sound, and the feeling of air being pushed around by speakers.

We are currently working on some material with a plan to record it live outdoors. (once we figure out the logistics)

HateSermon

Oh yeah. Big fan of live releases. Some projects sound better recorded live at shows than in a studio, in my opinion.
Some favorites from the top of my head:

Anenzephalia - Transmits From St. Petersbourgh
Unclean - Surreptitious Resonance (that last track is just unhinged)
ZSS - Spectacle of the Triumph
BU - Private Show II
Grunt - Dance For The Genocide

Thermophile

I like live recordings of Das Synthetische Mischgewebe. Though technically is an edited form of a live recording from a kinetic sound installation.

Andrew McIntosh

Quotemost of the time they are not considered "live albums", but just albums!

As far as Noise is concerned that's how I've always seen it. Lots of projects put out live material as certified releases, as far as I know. Especially back in the tape days, when projects didn't always have the wherewithal to do "proper" albums.
Shikata ga nai.

Balor/SS1535

I really love the XE live comp because he shifts the vocal style for different shows.  All ZSS live material is fantastic as well.

Bleak Existence

my early World Downfall release where all live recorded - i myself enjoy more live than studio release - raw is the law

morbid_dyspepsia

Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 31, 2023, 06:57:23 AM
I really love the XE live comp because he shifts the vocal style for different shows.  All ZSS live material is fantastic as well.

I guess like a lot of F&V stuff then? Love that shit

Stipsi

As i know, knurl is always live recording with no post production.
Probably not live as live show, but is basically the same thing for me.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

cantle

Grey Wolves/ Con Dom- on Tesco Disco Heavy Electronics II is some of their strongest work and an all time favourite album.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: morbid_dyspepsia on January 31, 2023, 04:32:20 PM
Quote from: Balor/SS1535 on January 31, 2023, 06:57:23 AM

I guess like a lot of F&V stuff then? Love that shit

Yes, but I guess it might be a little more apparent on this release than others because there are back-to-back live recordings from over the course of a few years.  In particular, the second of the shows is quite remarkable.  I'm not a big fan of the XE's turn towards more "atmospheric" material with 18 and Black Hole, but the stuff on the second performance is really fantastic---and sample/vocal driven!

APPLE

For my taste, the two live albums by Contrastate represent their best output.

No Eden Without Annihilation is particularly strong and sound quality is so good that I would be unable to tell that it was a live recording. I believe all songs are exclusive to this release, also. I think of it as I would any other 'real' Contrastate studio album. Handbags & Dada sounds more live and is a compilation from various performances. Some songs are exclusive to this release and some are found elsewhere. That one I also think highly of, but consider it a 'live' album, as that is what it sounds like.

There is no strong defining line between 'real' and 'live' albums in my mind, some just feel meant to stand alone as any other album and some just feel meant to document a moment in time or variations on a familiar track.

Genocide Organ Remember is notable in that I prefer the live versions to their studio counterparts. Loud and fierce!

ConcreteMascara

This thread inspired me to put Task Force Terrorist on the record player for the first time in ages. Perhaps not the absolute best Anenzephalia live album, but this one hit way harder than I remember. I was especially partial to the samples from "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" that showed up a few times in the first half, but the climax has to be Mechanical Rape, which starts the b-side. That one has everything you could want in a heavy electronics track.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

Quote from: APPLE on February 01, 2023, 05:53:06 PM
For my taste, the two live albums by Contrastate represent their best output.

No Eden Without Annihilation is particularly strong and sound quality is so good that I would be unable to tell that it was a live recording. I believe all songs are exclusive to this release, also. I think of it as I would any other 'real' Contrastate studio album. Handbags & Dada sounds more live and is a compilation from various performances. Some songs are exclusive to this release and some are found elsewhere. That one I also think highly of, but consider it a 'live' album, as that is what it sounds like.

nice post!  amazing live events
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.