Top JUNK METAL HARSH NOISE releases

Started by Commander15, January 24, 2023, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commander15

There has been general discussion about scrap / junk metal harsh noise and junk metal fetish, but i couldn't find an topic concerning SI forum users own favourite junk metal releases. Recommendations, thoughts and discussion is welcome because just listing releases would be boring.

I should specify that with this topic i'm meaning harsh noise where junk metal is been used as primary sound source. Not so much about "shaker box with DOD Death Metal" variety of HN.

host body

From recent years Corral Shut hands down.

Commander15

Quote from: host body on January 24, 2023, 03:20:13 PM
From recent years Corral Shut hands down.

I agree. Scuff Marks and Ramshackle are super good. Saturated, but detailed, with arranged kind of feel.

Balor/SS1535

Mania - "Insidious and Alone"

Yes, there is some synth in there, but where this release really shines is in the creation of an atmosphere/environment through junk metal.

Hal Hutchinson - "Dedicated to Damage"

Masterful layers of scrap metal avalanches.  What's not to like?

Hakaristi

As above, for me the top executors of this style are Keith Brewer and Hal Hutchinson but releases I usually reach for when in the mood...

Grunt - Seer of Decay disc 2

An early taste of Finnish steel and possibly the first full scrap metal release I heard which triggered a love for this style and naturally lead to discovering a bunch of other Finns.

Jaakko Vanhala - Feral Earth

Mindblowingly detailed stuff.

Bizarre Uproar - Fifteen Years Of "Filth & Violence" - Metal

Gotta have some BU in here, don't recall what has the most raw metal material but his scrap loops era is gold.

V/A - Sonno Ferrum

Killer Finnish comp where you're forced to blindly pick out each artists approach to the source as tracks are (deliberately) left uncredited.

Hal Hutchinson - ANY

Hal's factory of metal sound technique is unmatched!

Orgasmic Response Unit - Lesbian Hospital Orgasmic Response Unit

Just two tapes of solid metal worship.

Also Pussyfooter, first Aprapat tape, The New Boyfriends...

Phenol

Going more into industrial territory but still noisy, I'd say anything by Vivenza and Linija Mass. Also pretty much anything by The New Blockaders, but especially the Changez Les Blockeurs album.

Bleak Existence

goldameir

Quote from: Sadomaniac on January 25, 2023, 11:45:51 AM
Grunt - Seer of Decay disc 2

Second that.

Also "SS7" side A by Macronympha is a really good piece, and reminds me of Grunt's approach in "Seer of Decay".

SoonYouHaveDeafEars

I'm surprised Umpio hasn't been brought up yet!
His stuff is pretty rad, has a fine collection of junk noise on Freak Animal.
https://umpio.bandcamp.com/album/molesterol
Que Sera, Sera (Things Go From Bad To Worse)

MT

Besides all that has been mentioned, fantastic Umpio works, mastery of Hutchinson and breath taking power of Aprapat, my favorite release with junk metals is definately Bizarre Uproars "Unsafe and Insane" LP! It was one of the first noise LPs I got and it was everything I craved. Pure junk noise injection to needy veins.

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: Sadomaniac on January 25, 2023, 11:45:51 AM
The New Boyfriends...

Special attention should be given to the live videos of them that were posted a little while back!

Baglady

All the old K2 classics - The Rust, Metal Dysplasia, Rusty Tongue etc - get my vote. He really used those sounds to the max, made the very most out of them, and made them his very own. Play random three seconds from either of those recordings and anyone who's heard them should be able to tell what it is.

Bloated Slutbag

To steal my recommendation from the Scream n Writhe forum, XAH - Approaching The Absolute Periphery. Possibly their only currently available in the vein, but is a goody. Visit the scrapmetalnoise blogspot for a listen to now (unfortunately) deleted tapes along the lines.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

absurdexposition

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 27, 2023, 12:12:19 PM
To steal my recommendation from the Scream n Writhe forum, XAH - Approaching The Absolute Periphery. Possibly their only currently available in the vein, but is a goody. Visit the scrapmetalnoise blogspot for a listen to now (unfortunately) deleted tapes along the lines.

This tape is really just so good.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Krigsverk

I guess I´ll just join the previous posts praise for Hal Hutchinson and Jaako Vanhala. Absolutely masters of the style if you ask me. As I wrote elsewhere; witnessed Vanhala perform live with a minimal setup in Dresden where he conjured up the most infernal soundscapes with just a little metal and some pedals.