travel worthy shows 2023

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 23, 2022, 09:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

From playlist topic:

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 23, 2022, 09:27:03 AM
I am now absolutely as fanatic of noise as ever been, but one thing has changed. What would be the annoucement that would make you want to fly on other side of world to see it? Well, I guess 2023 Tower Transmission will be it, line-up will be travel wortht! but in general, as good as current day bands are, same urgency to see them live as "final gig of TNB"... hmm..  can't think name that would create such feeling. Flying from finland to NYC to see Ramleh PE comeback.. haha.. It would be interesting to hear what is "international travel worthy noise" for people now!

This is something I talked with friends over the years. First noise show to travel out of Finland (just to see noise live, as nothing was happening here) was Con-Dom in Sweden in 1998. After that, a lot of artists were seen. Grey Wolves, Genocide Organ, Merzbow, TNB, Incapacitants, and so on and on. Or festivals that were so impressive line-up one just had to be there. Many travel for NFF, Tower Transmissions, LAFMS fest uk, Broken Flag, Unrest events, CMI fest and so on.
It is perhaps partially about not being too interested to travel and fly around anymore. Nothing more lame than sitting at airports. That said, in past there was a lot of these things were despite the nuisance, it felt like one just has to see something. It was perhaps mostly based on feeling that if one doesn't see Grey Wolves or Incapacitants now, you may never see it. While as much as I'd like to see Altar of Flies again or Sewer Election, or Ahlzagailzehguh or such... it's like feeling that they are still so active performers and maybe will come to Finland or somewhere near by eventually.. hah. So not like urgency to fly over somewhere in other side of the world to see it.
Another thing is of course having so much happening in current age. When having somewhere to go almost every weekend, one prefers to keep some weekends free - for own recording for example. So unlike 20 years ago, where one just had to travel to see things, now travels may be vastly less. Like over here, drive to next bigger city and you got good noise artists playing more often than time to attend. They wouldn't be substitutes, but just good current noise that satisfies the need of live noise.

Question would be - is there lure of artists you just got to see. That seeing announcement of something, and it'll make you urgently calculate finances and see schedules, if it's possible to travel long distances to see it?

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

To reply myself: MILITIA. Hoping to see them some day!

HateSermon

Tough question. There have been a steady stream of shows happening here where you could possibly get your live noise fix like once a month. I'm also only like three hours away from Chicago and bigger names play there occasionally. So I guess being situated in the midwest does have its perks with a rich live noise scene. NYC really isn't too far either.
As for international, I think it would have to be a fest that would make traveling that far more convincing. Like that Obscurex fest coming up looks very tempting. The next Dominion of Flesh that Marcus hinted at in his WCN interview is also very interesting. Or maybe some sort of Unrest or Tesco fest. Otherwise it's hard for me to imagine myself flying overseas when there are things that can satisfy your live noise craving nearby, as you stated.

Phenol

I second Militia! I never saw GO either, so they're up there too. I went to the OEC festival last spring and the CMI festival last month, many good reasons for both. I'm seriously thinking about going to the Rituals Over Limburg event too. I think I'm more inclined to travel now than earlier, which is simply a matter of having a slightly better economy. I would have liked to go to the Dominion of the Flesh event and might go if there's a next one and I can afford it at that time. Festivals with a few "must sees" seem to be the kind of thing I mostly travel for, but I would probably travel for a Lustmord gig at a special location too.

FreakAnimalFinland

ANENZEPHALIA announced for comeback show, Tower Transmissions Germany 2023!

impulse manslaughter

Can't find the Tower Transmission 2023 line-up.. Anybody here has a link? Hopefully will be able to see Genocide Organ live one day.

FreakAnimalFinland

It is not announced yet. They have only announced dates and couple bands, but there will be two days of goodies:

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=12552.0

The Sodality, huh!

MT

Looks like Tower it is!

As for the topic. I have never seen GO for example, or any of the big Japanese names. I would most certainly travel for any of those if they came to Europe to play. I basically travel each time I go see a band in Helsinki, it's a 5 hour train ride! I probably wouldn't travel for Genocide Organ alone anymore. But Tower seems to be a good example of so many good names already confirmed, that this seems to be a must see gig.

I am still a bit bitter about Whitehouse canceling many moons ago in Helsinki. Consumer Electronics replaced, which wasn't bad at all but Whitehouse was Whitehouse.

skyloop

I wish I had the means to travel far to see shows I want, I don't know of any local noise anything going on here though there might be a small one as there's a record shop here that sells a lot of the stuff noise/power electronics related, I might actually give them a call and just ask. Since they have a ton of releases in stock from The Vomit Arsonist just next door to CT and I don't think those all just showed up there out of nowhere. It wouldn't surprise me if there was one near by because when it comes to metal there's plenty of bands that come through a small stage near a larger one that book some local and other bands that don't have any presence outside of that little bubble and may not even put anything out or besides what is sold at the show. One thing I wish I had the balls to do is just randomly set up a table outside out of the way and just start performing, I have only ever seen anyone do that once around here.

HateSermon

Quote from: skyloop on December 25, 2022, 03:00:51 PM
I wish I had the means to travel far to see shows I want, I don't know of any local noise anything going on here though there might be a small one as there's a record shop here that sells a lot of the stuff noise/power electronics related, I might actually give them a call and just ask. Since they have a ton of releases in stock from The Vomit Arsonist just next door to CT and I don't think those all just showed up there out of nowhere. It wouldn't surprise me if there was one near by because when it comes to metal there's plenty of bands that come through a small stage near a larger one that book some local and other bands that don't have any presence outside of that little bubble and may not even put anything out or besides what is sold at the show. One thing I wish I had the balls to do is just randomly set up a table outside out of the way and just start performing, I have only ever seen anyone do that once around here.

Hey you never know, man. The fanbase of noise and black metal overlaps. If I were you I'd offer to open for some of the local bands just to get the word out that noise is happening. Like even having it mentioned on a flyer people will see it. Even if no one shows up to see you... people talk and you never know who might be interested in booking something similar in the future. This could help get the ball rolling on more variety gigs or all-noise-gigs happening.

Goat93

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 23, 2022, 03:23:20 PM
To reply myself: MILITIA. Hoping to see them some day!

Yes, would be awesome.

There are a lot of Artists i travel pretty far, so the list would be nearly endless. But i'm used to it anyway.
Most important were Boyd Rice. Don't think he will come back and i missed Boyd Rice before always. So i
changed shifts ect. just to see it.

The 3rd Tower Transmissions was also such an Event, afterwards i drove back nearly 600km and have to work the Day.
Since then i attendet at every Tower Transmissions so far and i hope for a Great Line Up 2023.

cantle

I saw Militia back in early 00s at a Termite fest- well worth travelling to

impulse manslaughter

When I was younger me and my friends travelled to hardcore punk shows within a 4 hour radius on a regular basis. As far as noise/industrial goes I only travelled to London twice for the Broken Flag and Lowest Form of Music festivals. But I'm lucky as a lot of my favorite acts played in my hometown or very near by.

ritualabuser

Tend to travel overseas quite often for shows in the black metal and noise realm. Will likely do so for Steelfest this year, as there's a handful of bands that make it worthwhile. As for who in the realm of noise would still provoke the urge to do so for me in a time of reduced funds, it's hard to say. I think it needs to be a few favorites on one bill to make it worthwhile, or a very rare one-off performance that I have some faith in.

I somewhat regret having missed out on the final Grey Wolves performance at Tower Transmissions, but this was soon after the completely underwhelming last album, and I had my doubts about whether it would be a triumph or a massive turd in the sheets. I think this is what ties my hands for a lot of older bands that I would otherwise like to see-total crapshoot as to whether or not it'll be worth the time, effort, and money involved. Thankfully, I live near a major city in the US, so most things that are touring and worth a roll of the dice will show up here to little risk. Still pissed about the cancelled Alfarmania show in LA that was scheduled for 2020. Looks like there's little to no chance of that happening now.

cr

Thankfully not far away from where I live (~50km), but maybe this could be also interesting for some of you and worth travelling:

https://facebook.com/events/s/tormentum-festival-ii-2023-ind/627592121551370/

Tormentum Festival #1 in June was a personal highlight of this year! (with Brighter Death Now, Sutcliffe No More, Uncodified, Magadan, Institution D.O.L., Bruckmayr, Kadaver, Fall Into Dry Lungs)