BEST 2022

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 12, 2022, 11:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

As usual. I doubt exact number needs to be. I am quite sure my list will be modified / edited when trying to remember what all happened this year and what was last year....

LINEKRAFT all four release brilliant. Primitive Survival Instinct, Bankrupt of Morals as well as Howling CD and murder series 7"!
JUNKYARD SHAMAN "Lost Mind" tape
PAIN APPENDIX "Toward Infinity" tape
AMES SANGLANTES "666" LP
MOOZZHEAD "Doors of Perfection" tape, but also all recent works!
ALTAR OF FLIES "Återblick" 3xLP
LETTERA 22 Exposition Of Clove LP
UMPIO "Marisko" CD
LAU NAU "Puutarhassa" CD
VIOLENT SHOGUN "Brittle" CD

top label. Stuff what maybe individually didn't make to above, but always pleasure to get box!
Narcolepsia 2022 all strong!
Satatuhatta 2022 all strong!

Noisextra and WCN has been great for 2022.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Manhog_84

Satatuhatta releases have indeed been strong. I enjoyed Corral Shut - Ramshackle a lot! The first tape was good but this is a lot better with more piercing sound. Covers feature images of decay that fit for the concept.

Edit. Other 2022 releases and reissues that everyone should get:

Long Live the Death of Video compilation
Contortus - The Reality is Hidden for a Reason
Grunt - Hehku
Bizarre Uproar - Cunt Animal
Bizarre Uproar - Pakkosyöttö reissue
Macronympha - Ultimate Vibrator reissue
Secret Apex reissue

Hakaristi

Grunt - Hehku
Edge of Decay - Vein of Metal
Kovana - Club Catharsis
Contortus - Reality is Hidden for a Reason

Also Corral Shut and Mold CDs, all Vincent Dallas and Moozzhead! and so many killer reissues - Monde Bruits, Texas Chainsaw Dopefiend, Mangled Clit, Kakerlak, Macro...

Stipsi

Merzbow: hope.
Surprisingly good. Heavy mid 90s Merz vibe. My favourite album of the year.

Bizarre Uproar: pakkosyotto.
Ok, not a 2022 release, but I'm very glad to have it on a proper CD relase

Scatmother/Pissoir Rouge: toxic masculinity.
Finest filthy power electronics.

JSH: job 16:9.
No frills old school hn.

Salò Saloon: hybris.
Very well crafted classic pe.

North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Commander15

Corral Shut - Ramshackle cd
H.Ö.H - Lukuisia ulkopuolisia käsivarsia tape
Pain Appendix - Toward Infinity tape
Moozzhead - Waist Watchers Anonymous tape
Barstool Mountain - III cd
Altar of Flies - Återblick 3lp
Grunt - Hehku cd
Mogao - Finger Pointing to the Moon cd
Haudat - s/t tape

Some reissues / compilations:

Grunt - Installation of Blood and Steel cd
False Creak - Dark Water Otter Whores cd
Evenings - Wormwood cd
Nuori Veri - Vakaumus cd
The Rita - Magazine cd

cr

Many great releases this year. I will try to make a list soon, but I think overall, at least for me, Satatuhatta wins the cup again!

AKTI Records

Amateur Hour - Krökta Tänkar Och Brända Vanor 2xLP
Mogao - Finger Pointing To The Moon CD
Hands To - Bio Electric CD Comp
Klara Livet - Varandra LP
Pain Appendix - Towards Infinity CS
Al Margolis / If, Bwana – Iceless, Faceless CD
Jon Collin - Bridge Variations LP
V/A - Two New Lips CS
Jason Crumer - Thin Ice CD
The Craft – Not Art But About Art 7" lathe

This is more or less top ten in no particular order - there must be lots of releases that didn`t just cross my mind at this point and are left out because of that. But in a nutshell... Satatuhatta pushing out great stuff and going almost beyond noise (?) with mega tactile works from Mogao, Kartio etc.

Sweden ruling with outstanding overall quality in the experimentalism (Discreet Fam & Happiest Place...) Tribe Tapes putting out solid CD`s & New Forces released one of the finest box sets since the Witcyst box set, cheers for that. Two New Lips comp was also stunning. Most finest sound artists out there on the same tape using same ingredients to make tasty abstract mush... 18 tracks and yet somehow good overall.  Crumers "New Age" CD was tasty af! Had a discussion with some long time noiseheads and I was really pissed off to find out they did not enjoy it. I think the Thin Ice and for example Arv & Miljö`s latest LP`s swim in the most interesting waters. Well... to each his own I guess.

Arv & Miljö LP that came out just now was left out only because I have not yet had the time to get the physical version to my self for better consumption.

FreakAnimalFinland

perhaps also addition:
BEST newcomers (as far as I know, they have no former noise projects at all)

Kylmäkovamaa
Haudat
RMMS
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Commander15

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 12, 2022, 03:23:25 PM
perhaps also addition:

Kylmäkovamaa
Haudat
RMMS

Haudat is only one from this bunch that i have heard, but it is really good. Kylmäkovamaa is interesting, but the name of the project is really offputting with it's Kotiteollisuus vibes hehe

cr

One of the best reissues this year:
Mangled Clit – Erotakill

piisti

WNC podcast is very welcome noise media.

There is again many brilliant records out that I don't even try to remember the best ones.

Most important thing in year 2022 was gigs! I was involved four of noise related happenings in Finland.
It is much more different to pass out on stage that your own floor.

MND

JSH - Job 16:9
Rotat - Disfigured Onanist
Depravar - Traces of Agony
Contortus - Reality Is Hidden For A Reason
Sodomy From Beyond - Hatred Scheme

V.T.R

Oh man... So many super good releases again this year. It's good thing that my record shelves are running out of space so I can't put the latest purchases into record shelves after one listen. Everything is easily available next to my stereo setup and listening chair and that's why I've been dwelling deep with the new releases. I have to brutally count out stuff like Worth's Sacred violence noise and Altar of Flies Återblick (WCN) to ease out the listing because those was originally released as tape during 2020 and 2021.

These are the ones I listened to a lot. And listed ones are not in any particular rating order.

Dressing: From the body to the door CD (Oxen)

Well executed junk metal bashing and klanging spiced up with pedal noise. Starts minimally with smaller metal objects and crispy electronics. Builds up to total mayhem towards the end.

Scathing: No Night Worth Saving CD (Phage tapes)
Scathing: Blind nectar consumption TAPE (Satatuhatta)

No night.. CD is cut-up noise but not too wild "everything goes" style. Kinda reminds me of Worth, but still bit more electronic and harsh. Ends up with a long ambientish dwelling in swamps and sewers track. Gives you room to breathe after the blasting. Blind Nectar consumption tape pretty much continues where the CD ends. Organic, psychedelic and surreal tape noise just the way I like it.

Spate: Dogmono CD (Sinkhole entertainment)

This is some well made crispy mid and high end HARSH noise. Good focus on the frequence surfing on the top of the source material. Hands on feel with room sound. Has a live feel without layering sounds too much.

Barstool Mountain: Everything!

Two tapes and one CD. Each released by different label. As a Mattias Gustafsson fanboy what there is not to like? Maybe bit "relaxed" and harsher approach than his works as Altar of Flies, but there's nothing wrong with that. Still organic, still super good, still top of the nordic noise scene.

Ames Sanglantes: Canada 666 LP (Hospital Productions)

Wasn't familiar with this project before and still haven't  heard any other releases than this, but nevertheless this vinyl is superb stuff. Good sounding harsh noise with vocals. Kind of "simple stuff" but when it's good, it's good. Canadian Masonna without the razor sharp cut-up feel.

Pain Appendix: Toward infinity TAPE (Satatuhatta)

HEAVY and organic sound journey. Field recordings and GOOD junk metal bashing with carefully selected source material. Full of details and this one has sort of oldschool industrial feel with almost musical qualities at some point. Pull the strings!

Moozzhead: The Doors of Perfection TAPE (White Centipede Noise)

Moozz fan here, so what can you do? Master of nowaday's harsh pedal noise. Cut out the  dry bones and leave the flesh and fat. Juicy and always fun harsh noise with glassy bourbonic aftertaste. And I love bourbon and the sound of shattering glass!

Cyess Afxzs: Americhams CD (Rural Isolation Project)
Cyess Afxzs: Tápies TAPE (Satatuhatta)

Both releases are masterfully composed artsy harsh noise. I almost dare to say that his works reminds me a bit of Jaakko Vanhala's noise... Constantly changing layers of sounds. Junk metal, pedals, ambience. Brutal and beautiful. Reminds me of a clinically white art gallery with nasty and abstract paintings and weird sculptures. This guy seems to know his sound and vision. Both releases are SUPER good stuff.

Skin Graft: Final Judgement CD (White Centipede Noise)

This topic's starter already described this as "AOR noise" and that description fits pretty damn well haha! Dark, heavy and slowly building low end suffocating  americanoise. Graps you from the throat straight from the first second and doesn't let go until the end.

Lettera 22: Surface ego TAPE (Second sleep)

Slept on with the Exposition of clove vinyl, but at least got this. First copy was poorly dubbed version, but managed to get a new one. Not harsh but detailed broken tape noise with electronic beeping and humming. Italian version of Umpio's and SM/DP's insect electronix?

Violent Shogun: Brittle CD (Tordon Ljud)

Rémi has been productive during last years, but it doesn't matter because every single release has been gold. Brittle is the quieter side of VS. He says: "Credits for the inspiration when I put this album together go to Altar Of Flies, Höh, Josh Peterson, Kjostad, Current Worming and Ochu." For my ears those are just the guidelines, because Brittle stands 100% on it's own feet. Perfect music for the late night listening and sleep deprivations.

Darksmith: Imposter CD (Throne Heap)

Surreal field recordings, sound collages and tape manipulation. Sounds the same as the beginning of movie Blue Velvet looks.

Toanche Dwelling: Hyleidos TAPE (Absurd exposition)

Murky, lo-fi, broken noise for the deserted factories and train yards. Another Lynch movie reference here, but if Darksmith was Blue Velvet, Hyleidos is Eraserhead. Timeless noise that could have been released in the 80's or 2020's. I love it!

Slacking: Cycling Through Bother & Bliss CD-R (Prose Nagge)

First listen with this was in car while driving to cabin. Dark late autumn night in the northern part of Finland which is well known for it's UFO sightings in the 70's haha! Slowly evolving broken signals and soundscapes. Haunting loops topped with screeching metal sounds. Hypnotic stuff to listen in the dark or while driving your car through the forest roads while trying to spot some extraterrestrial action in the sky.

Corral Shut: Ramshackle CD (Satatuhatta tapes)

BRUTAL, RAW and HARSH as fuck metal junk bashing and screeching. Nothing more to say about this blunt to the core masterpiece. If you like junk metal noise, you like this. Period.

Amek-Maj: Bar De Trod TAPE (Narcolepsia)

Finnish noise superstar of the moment! He has developed a sound and style that is instantly recognized as Amek-Maj. Weird laboratory of some demented factory where wheels are constantly in motion and radio is stuck to play loops of classical music. Organic sound with layered details.

I might have forgotten something, but like I said in the beginning; so much quality stuff coming out all the time. Trying my best to keep up with the new releases, but it's impossible to catch or remember everything. One could easily enjoy contemporary top quality harsh noise with only Satatuhatta releases (couple of honorary mentions for 2022 goes to Junkyard Shaman and Free-Tala), because EACH ONE of the tapes or CDs the label puts out are top notch stuff, but checking out what is happening everywhere is important for me at least. And it goes without saying that I love everything what guys like Aprapat and Umpio/Kartio does. All their releases are in my top lists automatically including this year's Reef Crasher TAPE (New Forces) and Marisko CD (Satatuhatta).

Couple of things still not heard like the new Kjostad CD or Masonna/Prurient CD. I think that those would include my top list, but I'll wait for the first listen till I got the physical copies. From more industrial side of noise I enjoyed Grunt's Cast iron hand 10" (Old europa cafe) and Geography of Hell's Verdun 1916 CD (Hospital Productions)

Also a LOT of mega good re-releases came out this year:

Incapacitants: Feedback of N.M.S vinyl (Urashima)
Incapacitants: Quietus vinyl (Urashima)
Hands To: Bio electric 5-CD box (New Forces)
Monde Bruits: Tapes 1991-1994 5-CD box (Industrial Recollections/Audio Dissection)
Secret Apex: Secret Apex CD (Satatuhatta)

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 12, 2022, 03:23:25 PM
perhaps also addition:

Kylmäkovamaa
Haudat
RMSS

True that. My absolute favourite of these is definitely RMSS. I know that he took his time to arrange his first tape before releasing it. Very different than almost anything else in the Finnish scene at this moment with his Broken Flag meets Ashley C approach. A lot more than just "another noise tape." Really looking forward his (hopefully more) future releases!

HateSermon

Hard to pick a list and there are a ton of things I haven't heard yet.
The stuff that Packing Plant, Cloister, and Fieldwork put out this year were all stand out releases.
A great year for filth with the Wrath reissues (BU Mother and DVD Box Set were well done) and F&V making a return with new nasty shit. More please.
IOPS "Long Live The Death Of Video" and HO "Fucked To Death By A Horse" were both killer.
Lastly, the recent Abscheu and Am Not should not be overlooked. Glad to see new Unrest.

Looking forward to more filth and hatred in '23.

Eigen Bast

#1 is TEF - Wrought
Unbelievable precision harsh noise of the highest caliber. Straight up should be on top of all your lists. Buy the CD now.

Masonna/Prurient - Annhiliationism
I love the alternating tracks style of split and their works complement each other perfectly. I'm glad it saw the light of day this year, and the presentation is gorgeous.

FFH - A Step Ahead
Perfect PE; I wasn't totally pulled into the last few but this one keeps sucking me in. Mysterious and violent stuff.

Total Sweetheart - Early to Bed
C60 of wild shredding pedal abuse. I keep coming back to this one, just the kind of stuff I love. I'm hoping to catch them live soon. TX is shredding ass lately.

Joe Colley - Deformation of Tone
It was just a real good feeling seeing new, heavy material from Joe. It didn't quite click at first, but I keep coming back to this one.

Best reissue...
Mangled Clit - Erotakill
Awesome package, incredibly nasty material. Perfect sleazy PE.

Honorable mention because it hasn't come out yet...
That new "Wounded Son" on Hospital - special edition is gorgeous, samples have been great...surely going to shred.

Best live set that wasn't AFA/TEF....
DSM III in a bar's basement hallway was awesome - loved how it kinda channeled Alberich with a looser feel. I bought their tape from Cloister on the way out of the bar.

Best show that didn't happen...
A certain hero from another country who will be visiting the US when you least expect it....

Label of the year...
I gotta tip my hat to Tribe Tapes; awesome layouts, good prices, great distro updates, and a consistent, extremely high quality release schedule of newcomers, old-heads, and reissues from beyond the grave.

Noise in the news award...
I'm still kinda mind blown the homie Raven Chacon won the Pulitzer in Music. I'm glad he's getting invited all over the US to blast some museum donor class people with harsh noise, his set in ABQ earlier this year was legit stunning.

I fucked up....
All the new Murder Series releases - I dug the aquatic malevolence of the Lussuria one, but I have not stepped to Grunt/Linekraft/Phocomelus. I need to right that ASAP.