Skuggsidan presents: Criminal Party Vol 1.

Started by Skuggsidan, September 28, 2022, 12:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skuggsidan

Submission ends: 23:th August 2023.

Skuggsidan presents:
Criminal Party Vol 1 (Skuggsidan – 18)
Format: c90 x 2.

For the artist that wants to contribute to the compilation of the tapes (c90 x 2), the following criteria are needed to be fulfilled:

-   There will be an A5 booklet for the cassette compilation. Each artist/project will have 1 page where they contribute with their 'art', logotypes or contact information. It is up to each participant to choose whatever they choose to do with their space in the booklet. If desired, we can also do the design/layout as soon we have your logo/font that the particular artist wants to use.
-   Every artist contributes with one song (we have plenty of space on the cassette(s).
-   Every artist makes the song according to the theme:'Criminal party'. So what visualizations do you get, and what underlying sonic spheres can you evoke from this theme?
-   All artists contributing to a track will get copies of their work. The underground culture needs to become more alive, and we want more established artists and newcomers to contribute to the compilation.

If we get too many participants, we will probably make a vol. 2 the year after.

Skuggsidan

Artists are usually asked if they want to participate. We use this approach because we want to give total strangers and newcomers space.

From my experience, diamonds can usually be found in all the mud.

Balor/SS1535

This seems very exciting, and I would like to try and participate.  When are submissions due?

Skuggsidan

Some individuals have criticised this comp as too "open" to a public audience. It should be added that we are very self-critical, both of our work and that of others. Thus, our catalogue is very sparse. However, we do see 2023 as a year worth celebrating. Thus, our deadline is for this comp to be out on the market by November 2023. Although this is not an excuse to be lazy, the sooner, the better we get the material so we can make our assessments. This could also be seen as a call for arms to try to be so centred around platforms such as Bandcamp, etc. We do not put any values ​​in the name of the compilation itself. It was just a word connected with reading the daily newspaper over my regular morning coffee. We have promoted this post in several channels and forums, which may feel out of character.

Those who have not put in any "effort" or are far too uncommitted will go straight into the trash bin. This can be compared to plankton fishing, being out in the deep ocean to find wonders in the depths. In my everyday life, I am very tied to a computer. Also, I have a bad habit of liking to listen to sounds from high to low. Therefore, we encourage artists to send in analogue masters such as chrome tape or reel-to-reel. It doesn't have to be just .wav, as is the norm for the moment. However, if you do, please email and ask for our P.O. box's address.

We work for quality, not quantity. Should we find that the material we receive is too low a rate -, we will reduce the comp to a single c60. Or, even better, a c30. We simply want to take stock of the current 'scene' because we have been out of the loop for a long time. At the same time, we don't wish to have an inbox filled with soulless drones and copycats, but at the same time, we look back to the days of yore. At the same time, we've had a few times in our lives experienced when total newcomers have come along and demonstrated something genuine. Even if this is very uncommon, this balancing act is a difficult stepping stone to tread. I could also be too nostalgic because of my own subjective experiences in that area.

Balor/SS1535

Lots of time then!  Thanks for the information.

Skuggsidan

People also ask; why don't you ask some specific artists? Nothing to be found that does not presuppose this has already been done, or will.

Skuggsidan

Without revealing too much information, we have approved a few participants and thrown a lot in the bin.

Doesn't anyone work with analogue master tapes anymore?

Cementimental

Interested. Is it cool if I don't submit anything, but then claim to be one of the artists in order to steal their artist copies?

Skuggsidan

I'm glad you're interested, but we don't steal from artists. This chase is already solved, but it was a thoughtless 'trolling' that went too far. And I've already apologized for that.

Skuggsidan

Submission ends: 23:th August 2023
To be released: 23-23-23 23:23:23

Skuggsidan

Work on this compilation is ongoing and will be intensified in early '23.

A few contributions incl. Yellow Gas Flames, Caligula031, Mlehst, for example. Mostly want to show that this project is also ongoing.

Skuggsidan

Work on this comp has now increased. I have now listened to a large amount of the songs that have been submitted. However, you are still welcome to try your luck at being included in this international comp.

We have no restrictions regarding noise, whether the creator calls it 'harsh noise', 'industrial', 'power electronics', et al. We would love to see individuals from all corners of the globe submit their contributions. For example, I got a contribution from a project called Gnawed admitted to our vault today.

Policy: all master tapes/reel-to-reel/minidisc/et.c..., or whatever, will be returned to all projects that request this.

However, as of 23rd February, I will start asking about projects who wish to contribute. All other requests have been by one of my employees.

We need master tape + or .wav files + possibly artwork (A3 format).

Deadline: 23rd August 2023.

Skuggsidan

This is a prime example of what we allow to be on the comp and enter the vault:

1. GNAWED - CASTLE ROYAL (this will pherhaps be the first track on the compilation)

2. Y***** H*******- ***********

Description from the creator:
The title is the name of an old nightclub in a cave here, a hangout for gangsters in the 1930s in an area with a large concentration of man-made sandstone caves. lots of gambling, bootlegging, murders etc. the mayor of St paul granted a deal with the mob, saying that they could have asylum if they didn't commit crimes within the city. the rumour goes that there was an escape route into the neighbouring cave for bootleggers and other mob escapes and was made use by Al Capone who had cave hideouts in the city.

John Dillinger had also been a frequent visitor here. here is an article if you are interested:
http://www.historictwincities.com/2019/12/10/wabasha-street-caves/

The junk metal on this track was recorded in the escape cave next door. I don't know where the original exit was, but we spend a lot of time in these caves and there are some crazy stories.

Skuggsidan

Participants of Criminal Party vol 1:

3. mlehst - Nonce club

This is a prime example of the artwork we allow to be on the comp and enter the vault:

Note: resized.