noise ART OBJECTS, scuptures, etc

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 18, 2022, 10:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Was thinking this after reading some messages on "unbroken packages" -topic
(see http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=12344.0 )

Thought perhaps this could be even topic of its own: When there is this idea of object, that can not be broken, is it anymore "tape" or "LP", but instead some sort of... sculpture? Art-object?

Like Hospital Productions has now quite a lot of releases, that are more of sculptures of something, than just a "packaging". It awakes question that does item still NEED the audio component, so be something you buy?

People buy shirts to wear. Some seem to buy shirts for sake of collecting too. Odd, but seems to happen. Some keep stashing every patch, button, sticker, poster they get. Numbered collages, silk screen prints, all that type of stuff may be collected or simply used as decoration.

What would be role of art object in noise? What type of stuff you'd buy/save? If there would be great packaging, great object... but it wouldn't have the C-20 tape with it, would you buy it?

One example, the old days GENOCIDE ORGAN "Save our slaves" concrete/steel box. If you have that box, mint and unopened, you basically got just art object, sculpture of some sort. You can always think that there is the release and VHS and bunch of other stuff inside, but... there is not. Back then, if you bought it, and didn't break it, then you did not know what is inside, but that wasn't the extra VHS and such what was advertised. How many of couple dozen owners broke the box? Who knows! What would be more interesting, the unbroken object or obtaining the content that opening/destroying made possible? Hard to say!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Andrew McIntosh

A few years ago, The Hi-God People released an album that was a biscuit.

The idea was, now that it's possible to have download codes for people to access the actual audio, there's no need any more for physical media to have any capability to play audio. So they baked a batch of biscuits, put them in transparent plastic bags, added a bit of paper explaining the concept and with a link to the download and that was their album.

I'd suggest the same idea can apply to anything.
Shikata ga nai.

PTM Jim

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 18, 2022, 10:46:13 AM
Was thinking this after reading some messages on "unbroken packages" -topic
(see http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=12344.0 )

What would be role of art object in noise? What type of stuff you'd buy/save? If there would be great packaging, great object... but it wouldn't have the C-20 tape with it, would you buy it?
Interesting question. I personally don't have an answer, because I don't know. Most of the time, I get something, I listen to it. Period. Even anti-records. I play them at least once on a shitty turntable (If possible. I haven't played Honeymoon Production – Manipulation Muzak because I don't want to destroy the chunk of vinyl).
The other things I don't play are the Hospital test presses (or other tests) because they are true sculptures and I have playable versions also anyway.

I prefer the idea of there actually being a playable item inside the package, otherwise it is just that, a sculpture. I would have to really like the artist to want it I guess.

crooked

Interesting question, nowadays many people don't actually listen to physical formats anymore, they just collect them for collection's sake? i know many people that have a few vinyl records but don't have a record player.
So without all the packaging aspect or other regards aside, well isn't a record a sculpture in some way? same goes for cd's cassettes, or even cookies.

i don't have the answer to everything but this is a really interesting subject, and causes many questions to be asked on physical media.

Theodore

Quote from: crooked on October 05, 2022, 12:45:19 AM
Interesting question, nowadays many people don't actually listen to physical formats anymore, they just collect them for collection's sake? i know many people that have a few vinyl records but don't have a record player.
So without all the packaging aspect or other regards aside, well isn't a record a sculpture in some way? same goes for cd's cassettes, or even cookies.

i don't have the answer to everything but this is a really interesting subject, and causes many questions to be asked on physical media.

I have the stubborn idea that music should exist only in physical format in first place. I am not against digital files, my PC is connected to my system and i am listening to them a lot. Couldnt be otherwise, too much stuff out there, others i cant find or afford, so digital files are a bless in that matter. Though i believe digital files should be extracted from the physical, and not as masters for sale on platforms. Dont ask me why. I just feel this way. Probably cause having someone's rip you get the taste and it still leaves the thing to be desired. Having the WAV master -From someone who bought it and shared it. I dont buy digital, very rarely. Last thing i bought was when Keith made his Bandcamp- ? Well, i put it this way, i have money for 1 tape, and i am about to choose between 2, one i have the master, OK, most of the cases i ll buy the other. Even if i dont have the master but label has a Bandcamp and sells it, again i ll probably prefer the other. Good stuff gets pirated / shared sooner or later. Sorry, that's the truth. - Not everyone is acting / thinking like me ofcource.

No complaints. From a selfish point of view, things seem fine as they are. Both of the '2 worlds' , to cover everyone's preference -not that i care for that, hah- . Personally i can satisfy the collector in me and listen to more music in good quality than my money can buy. Though this leads to temptation, to consume music like fast-food, next-next-next . Not staying with each record as much it is needed and they deserve. Keep a balance is not always easy. So deep inside i think i would prefer the era when everything you could listen was your and your friends' collection.

OK, gone off-topic ...

Edit : To return to topic : Yes, i would defintely damage the package if that was the only way to listen to the music in its highest quality. As for the package as an art / scupture. No, i wouldnt buy it if it hadnt that C10 inside.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

OMM

Art should be a tactile, audio, visual and even olfactory experience... listening to the audio while you enjoy and discover the rest of the piece. If the artist's goal is that his work should be "broken/open" for the experience to be complete, I think it's disrespectful not to do so. Art without audio is simply collectible "art" like merch or a book/zine.