Unbroken packages?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 15, 2022, 04:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

I was cursing and trying to figure out, how to open the bondage of Hospital productions Black Leather Jesus "Sex is a dark friend" tape. Well, not really possible to open this without some way make it... not vigin, eh eh.. so snip snip, cutting the ropes and could enjoy the blasting harsh noise!

In latest WCN podcast, Dada Drumming Greg mentions that there are some of so great special packages, that honestly, he has never opened them as it would mean destruction of package. I have only couple of those. And it is not like I would not do it eventually, but just haven't done yet.

I guess we have had on forum discussion of packages what needs to be destroyed, at least it is touched on some topic. But I guess no damaged done to start topic just in case! What would be latest release you hesitate to open? Is there some recent ones you simply decided to use download code or something, so you don't have to break it?

What is really the hesitation of breaking something? Like the old school Banned Productions style, where pretty much everything had to be broken. It's almost like some sort of ritualistic sacrifice. Which one you prefer more - to enjoy art that you paid for, or got as gift or something.... or to cling on notion of "re-sale value"? Or notion of "mint condition". What would be value of the noise tape, if next time it is sold, it is like unopened wine bottle in someones cellar, never touching the tongue and giving sparks in your brain... in other form than being rare sealed container?

I got handful of new Hospital Productions titles waiting to figure out what is best way to open them. They will be opened, that is damn sure. But not just carelessly fucking it up, but figuring out ... if there is a way..

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

post-morten

When reading this topic I instinctively thought it doesn't apply to me. But upon closer thought I can think of a couple of releases I never broke open.

First the Mental Destruction Before the Night 7", which has the vinyl glued to a cogwheel shaped metal plate. I have no idea how to separate the record from the plate without breaking it. So I guess I shall never hear the flip side.

Then there's the Black Tunnels package by Altar Of Flies. It has a tape and a lathe cut 5" sort of duct taped with various garbage. I spent some time trying to figure out how to open it with minimal damage, then I put it on hold, and eventually forgot about the whole thing (until now...). Sorry Mattias if you're reading this ;-)

ConcreteMascara

I don't have too many releases that required damaging or altering the packaging to hear them, but I do have one I haven't opened. It's Mania's "All Aftermath" special edition. While I don't consider a tape that's wrapped in duct tape to be particularly interesting packaging, I haven't opened it for something like sentimental reasons. Being from the last or one of the last trades I did with Keith before he passed, it feels like cutting it open would be like a final nail in the coffin. So I expect I'll keep it un-opened indefinitely.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Phenol

The Operation Cleansweep LPs on Xn have stickers that keep them closed and therefore I have never opened them - stupid indeed, but they're collectors' items for me and I don't really own them for listening. A good example is also the first Megaptera album with the wire that you have to cut to get to the LP. I don't have the original, though, only the CMI re-issue. I kind of feel like getting a pristine copy and never open it even though it's expensive. I guess collectors' syndrome is a powerful disease...

[MBD]

I've never opened the Afterlives compilation Hospital released earlier this year and don't plan to. The whole package would be ruined if I did, so I listened to the digital version (which is still one of my favorites of the year.)
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction

PTM Jim

Quote from: [MBD] on September 18, 2022, 07:12:09 AM
I've never opened the Afterlives compilation Hospital released earlier this year and don't plan to. The whole package would be ruined if I did, so I listened to the digital version (which is still one of my favorites of the year.)
You can open it without losing sand. The tapes are in a little protective wrapping inside.

Everything gets open on my end unless I have another version that is easy access. I like the idea of having to be careful. Even things like sealed envelopes can be a pain in the ass to not just tear into.

[MBD]

I prefer the package unopened, it's too unique of a release to tamper with so I'd prefer to keep it intact as a collector's item (not to ever be flipped by myself of course).
Material Body Dysfunction & Flickering Coward. Cincinnati OH USA.

https://linktr.ee/materialbodydysfunction

Cranial Blast

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 15, 2022, 04:50:30 PMI was cursing and trying to figure out, how to open the bondage of Hospital productions Black Leather Jesus "Sex is a dark friend" tape. Well, not really possible to open this without some way make it... not vigin, eh eh.. so snip snip, cutting the ropes and could enjoy the blasting harsh noise!

In latest WCN podcast, Dada Drumming Greg mentions that there are some of so great special packages, that honestly, he has never opened them as it would mean destruction of package. I have only couple of those. And it is not like I would not do it eventually, but just haven't done yet.

I guess we have had on forum discussion of packages what needs to be destroyed, at least it is touched on some topic. But I guess no damaged done to start topic just in case! What would be latest release you hesitate to open? Is there some recent ones you simply decided to use download code or something, so you don't have to break it?

What is really the hesitation of breaking something? Like the old school Banned Productions style, where pretty much everything had to be broken. It's almost like some sort of ritualistic sacrifice. Which one you prefer more - to enjoy art that you paid for, or got as gift or something.... or to cling on notion of "re-sale value"? Or notion of "mint condition". What would be value of the noise tape, if next time it is sold, it is like unopened wine bottle in someones cellar, never touching the tongue and giving sparks in your brain... in other form than being rare sealed container?

I got handful of new Hospital Productions titles waiting to figure out what is best way to open them. They will be opened, that is damn sure. But not just carelessly fucking it up, but figuring out ... if there is a way..

I had a similar instance with Linekraft - Industrialized Criminals History SE tape, also by Hospital Productions. I ended up just snipping away at the zip ties out of desperation and unless I was just going to use the download code, not sure there is much else I could of done otherwise.