Noise Surroundings

Started by Hakaristi, July 02, 2022, 12:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakaristi

Couldn't find a thread covering this already... not a new idea but a recent experience got me thinking how noise fanatics can hear and enjoy things in daily life usually tuned out by others.

Walking in the city centre and from a distance hear what I can only guess is a street busker playing some sort of free improv (unlikely but you never know), approaching closer I hear the crunching rhythm underneath. Turn the corner and realise it's a contruction site performing a completely unappreciated "industrial symphony". High pitched squeal of the concrete cutter sounding like a reed instrument gone wrong from afar. Wanted to sit down and enjoy the free concert but had things to do, hah.

Tales of unintentional noise gigs? Opportune field recording moments?

MHK

There's rather big repair and construction work going on in the building I live in and the surrounding ones. Removing and rebuilding outer walls, renewing sewer systems, etc. Just yesterday they were doing some earthworks literally outside my window. Got some good bits recorded.

In general, I keep a keen ear to all kinds of surrounding sounds, whether in city, country, nature or wherever. Sometimes I might record something if the circumstances are right and I have a recording device with me (not often). I never listen to music while I'm outdoors - or you can say I listen to music all the time, it's just not pre-recorded.

Interesting topic and looking forward to people's comments.

brian o'blivion

Pauline Oliveros talks a lot about the importance of active listening in daily life, and her entire musical output is meant for a radically attentive style of listening. I like taking note of my surroundings and sometimes will record them for later use if they're tonally or percussively interesting.

Atrophist

I really enjoy only partially heard sounds and music that comes from several doors down, or upstairs or downstairs. When you can almost, but not quite tell what's going on.

I also enjoy the sounds of large parking garages, particularly underground ones. Especially if there is some industrial-grade heating or air conditioning unit going.

There are other types of sounds in public I enjoy. F.e. my local drunks around the Metro station who've destroyed their brains with alcohol and bentsos babbling incoherently at each other. Particularly if it seems like they are arguing.

Many mechanical/industrial sounds I find a bit boring and samey. If they are particularly monotonous, repetitive and hypnotic I do enjoy them. I've had to have quite a few MRI scans in my life, at best they are pure minimalist Electro masterpieces.

pidgeons

I commute to work by train, and one of my favorite sounds is a close drive-by of long freight trains at medium speed that happen a lot at my particular station. The medium speed and sheer length results in a 2-3 minute screeching cacophony with slight rhythmic elements, fantastic. Way better then the ICE fast trains. Also trains braking. Driving in old subway lines that howl in the curvy parts of the tracks. Anything on rails actually.

As a kid I sometimes heard the danish air force fighter jets fly by the coast, probably one of my earliest memories of fascination with pure sound/noise. Reminds me to visit the Frankfurt airport again. Not for plane spotting but engine listening hah!

impulse manslaughter

Most of the people posting here will enjoy the unexpected sounds popping up in the background of everyday life. I know Peter Zincken of Odal telling me he frequently visited construction sites to enjoy the sounds as if he was visiting a noise show.

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Hakaristi

Cheers Zeno, thought I recalled reading a similar topic ages ago but nothing turned up in search. Great resource. Liked this quote on field recording:
Quote....co-workers and bosses think it's incredibly strange and probably immediately think "Weirdo, he must be on drugs".

Appreciate the responses so far. One I cannot comprehend is enjoying the blather of drunks & junkies. Amusing to observe perhaps but sounds on their own would irritate the fuck outta me, heh.

Atrophist

Quote from: Sadomaniac on July 04, 2022, 04:17:12 AM
One I cannot comprehend is enjoying the blather of drunks & junkies. Amusing to observe perhaps but sounds on their own would irritate the fuck outta me, heh.

Yeah, on second thought, I guess this is in a separate category to sounds that I enjoy simply for their own sake.

It's just that human stupidity and self-inflicted degradation is endlessly fascinating for me. If I was a bit more  callous and cynical I'd probably try to record it and sample it.

FreakAnimalFinland

This type of stuff is also good for training ears, so to say. Very similar to photography or such. When taking photo, all looks good, realizing later on, there is something utterly unwanted element in it.
Same for a lot of field recordings, where you brain says, absolutely brilliant screeching sound of excavator track chains that would be like... The New Blockaders. Full of tiniest details of screech, clatter, crunch, stones being crushed under them... That's what I have been hearing a lot this summer. Then, as soon as you think lets record this as source sound, it is most likely you suddenly realize the dull sound of excavators engine, traffic lights beeping, heavy traffic all around, people talking... all sorts of things your brain certainly ignored, but recorder did not.

I think they were talking about something like this in early year field recording episodes of Noisextra podcast? The difference of intentionally out there recording something... but the recorder captures everything. Therefore you may actually hear the sound first time when listening the recording. At location, it was your own focus and attention what prioritized things that may have been just one small element in massive environment of sound.

I suppose there are more technical topics about how to try solve something like this.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Balor/SS1535

I used to commute on a local trolley, and it would make an excellent, layered sound--especially when it went around a turn.  The air in the windows howled, the tracks screeched, and there was a low, rumbling drone underlying it all.  If people were not talking so much on the train/there were not so many people who looked like they might stab me, then I would have recorded it!

MHK

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 05, 2022, 08:12:02 AM
This type of stuff is also good for training ears, so to say. Very similar to photography or such. When taking photo, all looks good, realizing later on, there is something utterly unwanted element in it.
Same for a lot of field recordings, where you brain says, absolutely brilliant screeching sound of excavator track chains that would be like... The New Blockaders. Full of tiniest details of screech, clatter, crunch, stones being crushed under them... That's what I have been hearing a lot this summer. Then, as soon as you think lets record this as source sound, it is most likely you suddenly realize the dull sound of excavators engine, traffic lights beeping, heavy traffic all around, people talking... all sorts of things your brain certainly ignored, but recorder did not.

I think they were talking about something like this in early year field recording episodes of Noisextra podcast? The difference of intentionally out there recording something... but the recorder captures everything. Therefore you may actually hear the sound first time when listening the recording. At location, it was your own focus and attention what prioritized things that may have been just one small element in massive environment of sound.

I suppose there are more technical topics about how to try solve something like this.

Sometimes those unwanted things can be fixed with EQ, editing and/or layering the sounds. And sometimes what you thought unwanted turns out to be unconsciously wanted. Chance is often the best friend of the (noise) artist.

But you're right, technical aspect of this stuff is a topic of its own.

Atrophist

Quote from: MHK on July 06, 2022, 11:30:02 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 05, 2022, 08:12:02 AM

Sometimes those unwanted things can be fixed with EQ, editing and/or layering the sounds. And sometimes what you thought unwanted turns out to be unconsciously wanted. Chance is often the best friend of the (noise) artist.

But you're right, technical aspect of this stuff is a topic of its own.

Some technical Wizard could also no doubt gate out some of the unwanted elements, assuming their dB is lower than the bits you actually want. I'm sure some higher-end recorders will have functions like this to keep them at a minimum in the recording in the first place. But yeah, my understanding if this stuff is very limited.

Heikki L (Vongoiva/Sirgo/HLER) has a lot of experience with field recording. I should discuss this with him.

HateSermon

Always listening for sounds to use later. Just recently I had some repair guys over working on a furnace and you better believe that I recorded that. A lot of twisting and banging on metal duct work... got some good stuff from it. Also from tree removal company down the street with their wood chipper. Grinding up old bark and whatnot.
The BRUTE tape I made in the last fusty batch was mostly workout equipment that I would sample from my own gym sessions. I kept hearing possibilities for loops from the repetitions of iron plates and decided to use it as inspiration.

impulse manslaughter

A bit related maybe.. I had some memorable listening experiences where background noises blended in with the music I was listening to. For example one summer afternoon I was listening to the Luc Ferrari cd on Robot Records while half awake, half asleep. From my open window sounds entered my room from what later appeared to be a wedding fest. Fanfare music, stuff like that. It complemented the cd perfectly and I didn't notice the cd was finished until half an hour after.