Keiji Haino / Fushitsusha / and everything else Haino related

Started by cr, April 26, 2022, 06:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

I haven't found a thread directly dedicated to Keiji Haino, so I'll start this one. There are of course various mentions of him in other topics - PSF etc.. (If I overlooked something, please merge the threads)

What are your favourite records? Please also share your anectodes from live shows or whatever you want...! He's made so many great records in 50+ (!) years and is still going.

Right now, I'm listening to the Purple Trap DCD (The wound that was given birth to must be bigger than the wound that gave birth)
Amazing...and the reason I want to start this thread.

Saw him live maybe 3 or 4 times.
Funny memory from myself: The first time I saw him was in the middle of the 90s, Trio concert - Brötzmann, Haino, Hano. A close friend of mine brought one his friends, who I didn't know. I highly recommended to come, to see and listen. It all started well, Hano on drums, Brötzmann and Haino on their instruments. Loud and intense, but everything's fine for the first couple minutes. And then, suddenly Haino started to scream into his microphone like a complete madman, and the friend of my friend immediately stood up, ran out of the room and left in complete panic. Never saw him again. Hope he's well...haha.

cr

If I remember right, my first record from Haino was 'Tenshi No Gijinka' (1995) on John Zorn's Tzadik label. Back then, I was still living at my parent's house.
When I turned it up really loud, one of my parents stepped into the room and showed me that I must be completely crazy if I like to listen to such "music". Better listen to some German Schlager Music, you stupid little fucker! 

Duncan

Quote from: cr on April 26, 2022, 06:15:44 PM
Please also share your anectodes from live shows or whatever you want

He once ate so many doughnuts and cream cakes the night before a gig in Scotland that he got sick and it was cancelled.

Bruitiste

Certainly one of my favorites.  Seen him live quite a few times due to being fortunately within driving distance of Victoriaville here in Québec, where he's performed at the yearly FIMAV on numerous occasions.  Lots of good moments there... I was at the recording of the Kikuri CD with Masami Akita, and while I enjoy that disc it was much better live.  He sat in with Sunn O))) for a bit during their performance there, I wish more had come of that, good fit.  Also during a performance with Nazoranai he had this sort of... I don't know how to describe, like an electric whip?  He whipped it around the stage and it made some noise.  Wasn't the highlight of the performance but it was entertaining.
I think my favorite gig of his I've attended was the most recent and that one was actually in Montreal, just a solo one, where he started on guitar and voice IIRC, and it grew in intensity from there, ending with some mighty drum machine and air synth abuse... solid.

For recordings, too many to single out, but the Fushitsusha - Purple Trap record stands out, off the top of my head.  All his releases on Tokuma are amazing.  The duos with Tatsuya Yoshida are interesting as these are the only ones with overdubs as far as I know.  There's a 3xCD set with Peter Brötzmann guesting with Fushitsusha that is epic as well.

cr

Quote from: Duncan on April 26, 2022, 07:33:45 PM

He once ate so many doughnuts and cream cakes the night before a gig in Scotland that he got sick and it was cancelled.

Hah, really? Good one - of course not for those who wanted to see the gig.

Zeno Marx

I probably mentioned this in the PSF thread, but every year on Haino's birthday (May 3rd),  a person on the Dime tracker shares 4-7 live recordings, most being new to circulation.  Haino doesn't care for the studio.  That's why so many of his newer releases are live recordings.  I don't believe I've listened to anything from the past two years.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

absurdexposition

Quote from: Bruitiste on April 26, 2022, 08:14:47 PM
I think my favorite gig of his I've attended was the most recent and that one was actually in Montreal, just a solo one, where he started on guitar and voice IIRC, and it grew in intensity from there, ending with some mighty drum machine and air synth abuse... solid.

That Montreal show was pretty good, and quite long - like an hour and a half, if I recall? I recorded the set with a handheld Tascam and will get around to uploading it one day. My friend also recorded the night straight into a walkman and I'd be interested in comparing the two (I'm sure the fidelity of his is in another realm completely).

The afternoon before the gig he was in the shop I work at and bought a formidable stack of Quebec prog records.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

post-morten

Back in August 2004 Keiji Haino was invited to play a festival for Japanese art & design in Stockholm. Our esteemed board member Love aka Bögskäggmannen was very instrumental in making this happen. I ended up being Haino's host ("caretaker") for the duration of his stay, meaning for five days I saw more of Haino than my wife. He was super cool and full of integrity, but also like a helpless child in certain situations. We put a lot of effort into trying to string together a little tour, but being in the middle of summer holiday period it proved hard. We only scored one additional gig at the art museum in Norrköping. I recall some guys in Oslo wanted to bring him over but the logistics just didn't work out.

The first show in Norrköping went well although not being exceptional in any way. Oddly enough none of the city's industrial cognoscenti (IRM, Institut, Nod, Skin Area) came out, the majority of the small audience being jazz/improv oldtimers. The following night at a jam packed Fylkingen in Stockholm was f*cking amazing though. Haino started with some shamanistic piece, hammering the floor with a pair of sticks while chanting, before strapping on his guitar for an hours worth of unfettered frenzy.

Anecdotes... well my greatest memory is taking Haino to buy a nyckelharpa (keyed harp), a traditional instrument somewhere between a fiddle and a hurdy-gurdy. I had tracked down an instrument maker that was willing to sell one so I took Haino to his house. He brought out an instrument, Haino examined it, took it up and plucked the strings, spun around, and in a moment of "feeling" rammed the neck into a magnificent chandelier hanging from the ceiling. A broken prism fell to the floor. Now losing one's face and apologizing wasn't on the table, instead an unfazed Haino said he'd buy the instrument and shelled out most of what he earned from the two concerts. What money he had left was spent on record shopping. At the Mellotronen shop he purchased a stack of psych/prog CDs and impressed the guy at the counter (a member of the Dungen band) by mentioning that he owned a copy of the super rare Mecki Mark Men LP from -67. At another store, Multikulti, he got another stack of CDs with various flavors of ethnic music. 

I remember also having good times hanging out with Haino and the lovely ladies of Afrirampo who were playing the same festival. Well it was a fun few days but I was happy when it was over.

Bruitiste

Good links, thanks!

Haino has been on a roll this year, beside the epic 4xLP collab with Brotz, his third go 'round with Sumac is their best collaboration yet, there was a pretty solid hurdy gurdy solo record, and don't miss him on the Seiko (愉楽): Yuraku (愉楽) album either, another interesting collaboration.

AdamLehrerImageMaker

The best Keiji solo records are Watashi Dake and So, Black is Myself. The best Fushitsusha's the Withdraw live album. For collabs I like his stuff with Brotzzman a loyt. I'm not a total Keiji devotee though, and think he has made lots of really bad albums. Also his performances tend to meander for too long at times. But, as they say, when he hits, HE HITS.

Cementimental

/thread

I was at this gig and it was pretty amazing https://youtu.be/U4VY0YZKT3A

At an ATP I was faced with the most incongrous festival clash of all time: Keiji Haino or Weird Al. I chose the latter of course.

aububs

Quote from: Cementimental on October 18, 2022, 10:24:25 PM

/thread

I was at this gig and it was pretty amazing https://youtu.be/U4VY0YZKT3A

i saw fushitsusha on this tour in dublin. haino broke a guitar string, threw a hissy fit, and tried to kick a roadie in the head