WHITE CENTIPEDE NOISE PODCAST

Started by WCN, October 18, 2021, 11:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Listened to the first quarter of the fine Mr.Carlsson episode, but then I was in a situation where I could only watch youtube via cable TV on a big screen.  Watching the episode is a completely different experience.  In time, I'm going to go back and watch the others.  Thanks for taking that other step to do video.  A-1 quality.  Tip of the hat to both O and T.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

WCN

Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Eigen Bast

Great ep, loved the PUNISHER discussion...very varied and nuanced topic in this age of punishment... Spot on observation RE: convincing "underground" people to listen to techno v. industrial.

Also I woud buy a Bile 12" from Phage.

FreakAnimalFinland

Phage is probably most interesting for the label & distro folks, but there is also plenty of good opinions and not avoiding talking about them. Giving criticism when necessary etc.

Lathe discussion is probably now different than it could have been before? When lots of noise lathes were cut in New Zealand for a bit compromised plastic disc format, it is quite different than nowadays several places cut into actual vinyl. Of course it is not pressed, but if sound is good, and material is actually vinyl, one can't really point out it would be vastly different.  Back when it was soft acetate discs or soft plastic, both sound and durability would be unlike real vinyl.  A lot of contemporary lathes, there is nothing else to complain than possibly outrageous prices that item will be due manufacturing costs. (of course cutting on harder vinyl will cause needle to wear old sooner and this may effect the sound of lathes unless cuttinghead is properly fixed once in a while)

Very brief, but funny moment was, when Phage asked as if it OK to mentioned Final Solution release coming out. I guess traditional PE is potentially a bit spicy subject even in harsh noise discussion.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

Saying that episode is probably most interesting for the label & distro folks, of course no negative remark at all. I think there is probably even more need for it. Something related this punishers -discussion, I'm sure the ones who may be guilty for things such as non-stop spamming of social media groups that are not meant for it are probably beyond hope, haha, but there are things like artists or labels being vocal about dead stock, items not moving, people not giving a fuck and so on. And simply mentioning that they are not alone in this experience. It's just something one has to cope with, instead bitter messages directed to last few fanatics and supporters.

Also the discussion that name of the game in 2021 is the constant visibility in social media. That is would be the necessary evil, that message gets across. I get it, but somehow.. don't accept it. I think also one way to look at it, can be observing what kind of people you wish to hear stuff you put out? Not elitist move really, but simply acknowledging that guys who spend all day everyday browsing instagram, may be audience for the bandcamp link, but possibly not the focus group of guys who with buy CD.

I think there is this information gap, where nobody does paper catalogue and the handful of guys (that can mean big% in context of noise) drop out from active customers. Many promote only in social media. Many have availability that requires social media tempo to be able to buy tape. If you are not there, you may be out of the circle, unless item hits to your favored distributor.

Therefore, some other places where information circulates with slower pace, and from perspective of fans or "journalists" is very nice. For example, I guess I have heard more noise news about all these american harsh noise labels from these podcasts than anywhere else. Very much appreciated.

Even if Special Interests forum is like tiny spot in the noise scene, where limited amount of people can be reached (I guess roughly few hundred registered members visit fairly frequently), it is still place where you can use search funtion. You can see older classified ads. You can browse label news (of those who post) and so on. You can also use descriptions, album titles and such, what may get your post deleted or "shadow banned" in social media. Not meaning it would have to be hate mongering etc, but even trying to promote Contagious Orgasm CD some years back, proved that unless you cleaned up every bad word and juicy description, post was not going to anyones feed.

Nowadays, I have heard people say, how social media regulations are already effecting alternative music releases. Tits on the cover? No way, since you could not post album anywhere. Explicit words? etc. Something that gets you kicked out of bandcamp.. I rather stay loyal to artistic integrity, than start to modify creativity under guidance of multinational corporations.

absurdexposition

Yet another great episode.

I think Phage (alongside Freak Animal) might be the longest distro/wholesale relationship I've had. I was ordering from Sam over a decade ago - some years before I transitioned to a "noise only" distro. Always an encouragement to artists/others working in the noise scene and dedicated to the DIY ethics - especially those earlier releases with hand-screened packaging.

I appreciated the talk about the logistics end of label/distro reality and could sadly relate to throwing out "unwanted" dead stock after having it sit around for years, although it's sad to hear when it's a release as great as Little Pieces of Violence.

The lathe cuts of 10+ years ago that I've heard have all been pretty bad in terms of sound quality, and were prone to warp. There is the Flatline Construct / Moz 10" that I should revisit again for comparison, but a lot of hc/punk bands did lathes in the mid-00s and they all sounded like shit.

I deal with punishers ordering from me every day. Usually they disappear after a while, some become regular customers and you just deal with it, others end up getting truly into it and releasing some good tapes.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Pigswill

Quote from: WCN on November 22, 2021, 07:48:53 PM
Episode 5 with Sam Stoxen of PHAGE TAPES out now! https://youtu.be/ELSrAw7oMig

This is great. Also, the overbuying stock problem hits close to home. I also ordered a huge number of CDs from Copycats like 10 years ago and still have a closet full of boxes. The idea of salvaging the jewel cases isn't a bad idea

Theodore

Quote from: Pigswill on November 24, 2021, 07:49:02 AM
Quote from: WCN on November 22, 2021, 07:48:53 PM
Episode 5 with Sam Stoxen of PHAGE TAPES out now! https://youtu.be/ELSrAw7oMig

This is great. Also, the overbuying stock problem hits close to home. I also ordered a huge number of CDs from Copycats like 10 years ago and still have a closet full of boxes. The idea of salvaging the jewel cases isn't a bad idea

Then you will have the same closet full of boxes with jewel cases, taking exactly the same space. What's the difference ? - In such a problem, instead of trashing them, i would say include them as bonus stuff in other orders. At least try that first ...
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

FreakAnimalFinland

From perspective of label/distribution, I think discogs changed the idea of freebies. Lets say, you got great title, which is sellable, but you just have few hundred too many. You start to throw them for free to customers, and soon there is 15 copies at discogs starting from 1usd. It may not effect how people view the album since then... but it may, haha.. 

Formerly you had potential to trade, wholesale, retail, and now when copies are circulating for less than manufacturing price it certainly has small twist on that. For example, what the distributors who paid for items think when "market" is flooded by perhaps three times cheaper unplayed copies? Are they going to be buying your next thing, when they can assume you will just ruin any possibility for them to sell copies they bought?

I have never thrown UG items to thrash bin for sake of not being able to get rid of it, but I can understand why this would seem good idea for someone. It was standard practice in mainstream music. You would press according to ideal what it could sell, and eventually trash most of the store-return and unsold copes. Waste, sure, but I would guess not that many kilos of plastic is wasted before you will learn to avoid such situation?

DadaDrumming

Good conversation between Oskar/Sam. I watched the Luke/Brad/Stefan episode as well but found there were some instances where 3+ were too much. I think if that had been separate episodes the respective parties could have expounded better. I don't listen to podcasts as a general rule so don't know if it's always that way but I like the one-on-one approach much better. YMMV. Sam is also one of the handful of people over the years who have ever reached out to me about doing something specifically for them, so he'll always have my respect for that. I don't have my finger on the pulse of everything (for better or worse) happening so it's nice to be able to hear about things. Found some of his answers interesting. Mad props for the INCENDIARY shirt.

Zeno Marx

Did they throw in a mention of a Hermit reissue...or something...in the Phage interview?  I couldn't make it out for sure.  Another quality interview.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Mattias G

I have listened to podcasts for many years. Especially when I go to bed every night or cooking food etc. But this with the video/visual thing makes it something really extra. I have enjoyed every episode and it's a genius move to release it on Monday's cause suddenly you have something extra that you are interested of to looking forward to.
And I just pulled out the Pain Jerk & John Wiese-Terrazzo CD that I haven't listened to since 2007 and give it another chance. Cause it made me curious since it was on Sam/Phage Tapes top 5 and I remembered I had it but not how it sounds.
Keep up the good work!

absurdexposition

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 24, 2021, 06:20:51 PM
Did they throw in a mention of a Hermit reissue...or something...in the Phage interview?  I couldn't make it out for sure.  Another quality interview.

I don't think so? If they did, I missed it. New Hermit material coming soon on Absurd Exposition, however.

Edit: Actually you probably heard my ad in the episode.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Zeno Marx

Quote from: absurdexposition on November 25, 2021, 02:09:44 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 24, 2021, 06:20:51 PM
Did they throw in a mention of a Hermit reissue...or something...in the Phage interview?  I couldn't make it out for sure.  Another quality interview.

I don't think so? If they did, I missed it. New Hermit material coming soon on Absurd Exposition, however.

Edit: Actually you probably heard my ad in the episode.
Ah...and very good news.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

theotherjohn

Really need to cop that new Sun Hing Lung release - any European distros?