Noise 'essential' records from 2021 so far...

Started by abstract_trauma, September 10, 2021, 09:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piisti

I check mostly Finnish stuff and one what I have recommend is;

Mogao - A Mass Meditation (FA 2021)

Pure, perfect balanced, pretty simply but totally harsh.
Album include four tracks which every has own spirit, but works alone also very well.

cr

Like almost every year...far too many.
That's also why I reduced my buying of Noise a bit in the last couple months. Not that I like this, but there isn't simply an endless amount of money available. And I soon have to catch up with some records I really want.

But I'll start with:
Himukalt - Dreaming of a Dead Girl
Femeheim - Peinheil

Others will follow, maybe.

Eigen Bast

Hospital Prod Remorseless Greed VA arrived yesterday and it's got a hell of a track list. Package is absurd; coffee can size full wrap (interior!) and exterior of Egptian imagery loaded with "Cairene sand" - tapes are wrapped up in yellow plastic and twine with a poster. Contributors include Genocide Organ, Alberich, Geography of Hell, Ames Sanglantes, Opera for Infantry, Proiekt Hat, Prurient, Skin Crime, Thirdorgan, Smell and Quim, Masonna, Powdered Beatles, Survival Unit/Grey Wolves, Rogue State, Linekraft, Alchemy of the 20th Century, Yellow Gas Flames, Pale Newspaper & Oswald Resurrection. If this isn't essential then uh..not sure what is.

Also, I forgot about the Kazumoto Endo/Rorschach Collective split LP - Skeleton Dust have affordable copies in the US - looking forward to listening to this, going to add to the "tentatively essential" list ....

Pigswill

It's tough for me to narrow some of them down because I've been introduced to a lot of artists this year who also have put out several albums that I've enjoyed. Some highlights for me include:

Eyerolls - Burial Mound. One thing (out of many) that Eyerolls does is make music videos using Google's Deep Dream Generator. You know that thing that generates weird AI images that fuck with your brain (like whatever this is)? Burial Mound is nearly an audio equivalent: you can hear pieces and fragments of source sounds, but the processing turns it into something new. Though the comparison ends there: Eyerolls makes countless deliberate choices about how to twist sounds and where to place them, turning what could be dense, detailed textures into mind-melting fun.

Soloman Tump - The Tump Dump. This collection of demos and experiments is full of aural gems. I'm really glad that he put this collection of tracks together because my ears simply love it.

head of goliath - consume all the nations. Really nice minimal synth / noise / drone. Also has several tracks that make good use of my subwoofer. I wrote about it in more depth elsewhere online, but you're better off listening to it now instead of reading further.

Scum Alice - Direction of Mold. This dark ambient project frequently paints harrowing pictures of sunbathed cells, tunnels, and voids. Much of it shows the listener a place of extreme isolation, taking them to its mind-breaking extremities. This is a project that has had a huge amount of output this year alone, so it's tough to simply choose one to talk about, but this would be a good starting place for anyone new to it.

Maraud - Word of Concrete. While not as direct or biting as 2020's Warrior Society, World of Concrete is a meditation on the enormous cement monoliths that we've been surrounded with in the current age, tapping into an inner place, and turning those pillars into dust. Quite a lot to accomplish in a mere 13 minutes, but it's good. This project really needs some more EPs or full albums.

I know there are more, but it's been a long year.

Decrepitude

Seems to be harder to think about good new releases this year than last but these came to mind:
Linekraft - Asura LP
Lustmord/Karin Park 2LP
Sewer Election - Antarktis CD
Yana - Obitvs CS
Mogao full-length and songs on the Kolari comp.
Residual - Retrograde Future CS
Naxal Protocol - Fetishism of Repression CS

There's again lots of new stuff I haven't had enough time to delve into enough or get into.

Hostile1Tapes

I think its been a pretty good year so far.

I've been pretty obsessed with everything Gay Death has put out this year.
The new Koufar is fucking sweet, just got my copy this weekend.
I really loved the Burnt Feathers tape on No Rent.
The new Am Not 7 on Ant-Zen is another killer release from Tamon.
I thought Kevlar's new CD was their best yet.
A lot of great LPs on BPP.

I'm probably forgetting some stuff but still, a good year so far.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: Pigswill on November 06, 2021, 10:30:06 AMu

Soloman Tump - The Tump Dump. This collection of demos and experiments is full of aural gems. I'm really glad that he put this collection of tracks together because my ears simply love it.

Thank you for listening and the kind words, it means a lot. First review that I've seen!

New stuff coming soon

FreakAnimalFinland

Missing "III" tape - possibly best tape of 2021?
Mogao/Moozzhead tape - absolute harsh noise bliss
Smell & Quim "Bulls penis soup" CD - most demented and sleazy noise
Scathing "pale faced feeders" tape - No other reason, that tape just lured to flip and replay. Could name other US noise too, but this was recent of "wow, strong material!" -type of reactions.
CCCC test tube fantasy LP - very much awaited reissue!

I am pretty sure I like several items mentioned on this topic, but yet to hear latest Altar Of Flies, Linekraft I just got, the finn scene has been very strong and several releases that demand instant multiple plays.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

FreakAnimalFinland

My copies were sold out. I would guess that edition of 100 not that many came to EU.. Missing is not noise. Not in sense of harsh noise. It has couple bursts of harsh, literally just few seconds during entire 40+ mins. It is more like eerie and odd tape collage, tape manipulation. It is not like Sir Ashleigh Grove or Curfew Recordings. Pretty much not at all, but it still made me think about such things. Sometimes you get the "why I am even listening this" -feeling, and during doing so, material captures you and is puzzling. Not just energetic relief and fun blast, but something else.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Baglady

Quote from: accidental on November 11, 2021, 11:11:32 AM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on November 11, 2021, 09:56:28 AM
Missing is not noise. Not in sense of harsh noise.

That's likely why i became interested.

Can only agree on how great this tape is, and the label description (to which I indirectly contributed) reads: "Nothing else sounds like this, but if you need references think grimy 80s Italy meets Ultra." Sir Ashleigh Grove? Yeah, that fits too, and it doesn't at the same time. Definitely hard to pin down!

absurdexposition

Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

SumofTotal

brian o'blivion

Black Leather Jesus - Hellbound (Deathbed Tapes)

burdizzo1

Quote from: Eigen Bast on October 27, 2021, 10:07:30 PM
Hospital Prod Remorseless Greed VA arrived yesterday and it's got a hell of a track list. Package is absurd; coffee can size full wrap (interior!) and exterior of Egptian imagery loaded with "Cairene sand" - tapes are wrapped up in yellow plastic and twine with a poster. Contributors include Genocide Organ, Alberich, Geography of Hell, Ames Sanglantes, Opera for Infantry, Proiekt Hat, Prurient, Skin Crime, Thirdorgan, Smell and Quim, Masonna, Powdered Beatles, Survival Unit/Grey Wolves, Rogue State, Linekraft, Alchemy of the 20th Century, Yellow Gas Flames, Pale Newspaper & Oswald Resurrection. If this isn't essential then uh..not sure what is.

Yes, pretty essential, all right. Good tracks aplenty, but possibly the best one I've heard from Alberich after his decidedly underwhelming "Quantized Angel". Also, special mention to Smell & Quim, for lowering the tone - in a most excellent way, naturally!

Another one I really liked was the Irrational Fear 7" by Graustich - creeping and unpolished p.e., or maybe more what they used to call 'heavy electronics'. In any case, Graustich are getting better and better all the time.

cr

For essential records...I just don't know, far too many and it's somehow different every day. But I think my favourite label of the year with all their releases is definitely Satatuhatta