Working through problems with frequencies

Started by cr, July 12, 2021, 09:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

I was struggling a bit if that's worth a new topic. I was reading the interview with Michael Nine in his excellent Death Squad - Collected Documentation 1997 North American Tour book and when he talked about his first recordings as Trucido he said, he "...was trying to work through problems with frequencies."
I remember reading an interview with John Duncan in maybe 1997/98, where he said, he was scanning through short wave radio after midnight, to find the frequencies that represent the way he feels at the moment (or something like this. Unfortunately I can't find it at the moment)

I find this very interesting, because I am myself very often searching for the frequencies and sounds to listen to the way that I feel or to work through problems. Quite sure, almost everyone else does this sometimes as well.

Any other opinions/suggestions on this topic? I know it's very vague, what I'm asking or talking about, but I'm afraid I can't describe it any better.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: cr on July 12, 2021, 09:24:03 PM
I find this very interesting, because I am myself very often searching for the frequencies and sounds to listen to the way that I feel or to work through problems. Quite sure, almost everyone else does this sometimes as well.
Indeed.  Absolutely.  But since we don't openly talk about it in this way?  Or discuss from this perspective?   Or in these terms?  It might falsely feel unique or be wrongly considered pretentious.  A common, yet worthwhile, and with great potential, alive and developing process and pursuit.

I don't have the book, and I wasn't aware of that Duncan deal.  I think of it in terms of comfort and tonality rather than feelings and frequencies, but that's nothing more than semantics.  To possibly put his shortwave scanning another way, I feel in these moments, or full-on periods, I'm rife for openness to new sounds and styles.  For myself, this is THE time to revisit those releases, artists and styles you sensed were chocked full of rewards, but for some reason, couldn't connect with them upon earlier listens.  Not to come at them for a challenge, but to approach them in an extraordinary time of openness.  Flow through rather than bash into.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

cr

Thanks a lot for your response!
"Comfort and tonality" is a very good description.  And yes - "the time to approach those sounds in an extraordinary time of openness...Flow through than rather bash into." - Great!
Openness to new sounds, that for whatever reasons you couldn't really connect earlier. But when the feeling is right, the connections to the sounds are very close to you.

Sorry, my English is not that good to describe it the way I would like to.

cr

By the way...more than 15 years ago, and inspired by the John Duncan quote, I tried to do something like this by myself. Filmed by my friend, the great experimental short film maker Siegfried A. Fruhauf, I made a concert with short/middle/long waves out in the fields at dawn. It was a great experience, and if someone's interested, you can watch it here:

https://vimeo.com/147735355