Portable tape players (walkmans etc.)

Started by host body, May 29, 2021, 01:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

host body

What's the current situation regarding tape players? Are there any current models worth buying? My tape collection is reaching the point where I have more stuff coming in than I have time to listen to at home, so I'm thinking of buying a Walkman or a similar player.

Also if anyone knows a good used HIFI store in the EU that actually refurbishes walkmans before selling them, please let me know. I'm hesitant to buy a used layer from ebay because there's no guarantee they actually work well.

JLIAT

You can buy cheap cassette players new, they probably wont have dolby etc. but are noise tapes made using this? I use one and find it OK. As for Ebay, if the seller says it's in good working condition (and they have good feedback) you should be OK, and if not be able to get your money back. Though 'antique' walkman's are not cheap!.  

edit: If you do get an old machine check out head cleaning on youtube...

Fistfuck Masonanie

In the last couple of years bought a couple of portable tape players which all died on me rather quickly. Haven't found anything recently manufactured of quality and second hand items from reliable brands of the past have also degraded faster than anticipated unfortunately.

Buy one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UFO202--behringer-u-phono-ufo202-usb-audio-interface-with-phono-preamp

Rip your tapes to MP3 and purchase an SD card for your phone that holds 128 GBs or more and just load it up. Much more reliable and preserves the music over an extended period of time. My preferred choice at the moment.

Soloman Tump

I purchased one of these about a year ago and I have been more than happy with it.

No tapes chewed up, with consistent sound that is fine for listening to tapes.  But maybe don't try your 30 year old Merzbow tape in it as a trial.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076PFJKRJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for evening walks where I leave my phone at home and can just lose myself to the audible void.

My only gripe is that the STOP button is rather exposed and tends to get knocked easily when in trouser pocket.

I have not tried the MP3 record function yet but it seemed very self explanatory to set up.

host body

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on July 09, 2021, 05:19:41 AM
Rip your tapes to MP3 and purchase an SD card for your phone that holds 128 GBs or more and just load it up. Much more reliable and preserves the music over an extended period of time. My preferred choice at the moment.

maybe but i just can't be assed to rip everything I get right now, as i'm trading a new release around and have a backlog of like 30-40 tapes atm. i'd much rather just take a tape with me to the bus ride and listen once to see if I want to keep it or sell it.

Quote from: Soloman Tump on July 09, 2021, 03:52:30 PM
I purchased one of these about a year ago and I have been more than happy with it.

No tapes chewed up, with consistent sound that is fine for listening to tapes.  But maybe don't try your 30 year old Merzbow tape in it as a trial.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076PFJKRJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for evening walks where I leave my phone at home and can just lose myself to the audible void.

My only gripe is that the STOP button is rather exposed and tends to get knocked easily when in trouser pocket.

I have not tried the MP3 record function yet but it seemed very self explanatory to set up.

thanks man, i'll probably order one. seeing how many different cheap models there are available you'd think there would be an audience for a uhhh mid-fi player? like something that's made out of quality parts and would cost like 100€. like one of those workhorse players of old that had a few extra features and good sound.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: host body on July 12, 2021, 12:14:19 PM

thanks man, i'll probably order one. seeing how many different cheap models there are available you'd think there would be an audience for a uhhh mid-fi player? like something that's made out of quality parts and would cost like 100€. like one of those workhorse players of old that had a few extra features and good sound.

I was eyeing up the stupidly expensive original Sony Walkman's on eBay and then opted for this cheapo one, for the same reason, if it was working in the late 80s and it's still working now then I guess the parts are good for a while longer.

I would have easily paid up $100 equivalent for something more "robust"  and I am sure there is a market out there.