Benefit Comp for Chris Phinney (Mental Anguish) ft. Dilloway, Attrition, PBK,ONO

Started by NO PART OF IT, December 22, 2020, 08:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NO PART OF IT

https://nopartofit.bandcamp.com/album/modus-vivendi-a-benefit-compilation-for-chris-phinney

Chris Phinney has been active within the realm of experimental music since 1982. Whether it has been his main recording project, Mental Anguish, or his label, Harsh Reality, Chris' involvement with the development of 1980s cassette culture and beyond, is immeasurable.
More info here: www.haltapes.com/harsh-reality-music.html

In late 2019, Chris was hit by an uninsured driver. The collision compounded previous injuries, and found him in a wheelchair unable to work. Phinney is the father of four children, three of which were still dependents at the time of the incident. To top it off, the accident occurred not long after a divorce, the untimely passing of a new life partner, and the death of Phinney's mother. The aftermath of this incident involved multiple surgeries, as well as a month in the hospital with head trauma, hip trauma, and numerous fractured bones.

There has been a gofundme page for Chris Phinney, but it occurred to us here at NO PART OF IT HQ that maybe this message is not reaching enough people within the realm of underground/experimental/noise/music scenes as much as it could.

This compilation was put together as a benefit for Chris to help offset some expenses. It is a multinational collection of work spanning four decades, and was created in the spirit of early cassette culture compilations, with a mind for freeform college radio as well. Compiled by Arvo Zylo, "Modus Vivendi" features some artists who've worked with Chris Phinney in the past, as well as standout artists he's likely never heard of.

Every penny in profit for this release goes to Chris Phinney. Or, if one is so inclined, they can donate directly here:
www.gofundme.com/f/help-memphis-musician-father-amp-friend-chris 

releases January 1, 2021

The download features a bonus track by Modelbau.

Art by Bradley Kokay
Compiled by/Layout by Arvo Zylo.

Content Nullity

- Grief 05:53

Theatre of Ice

- The Ghost Did A Scarey Walk 02:16

Gitane Demone

- Deadmen Town (2002 Demo)

Plastic Crimewave

- The Dreaming Room

Minóy

- Hypersonic Psycho-Transmissions 7

Temple Ov Saturn

- The Ecstasy And The Agony of Nature (excerpt)

Attrition

- The Pillar I (For Ossington)

Dieter Müh

- Bethlehem

risaripa

- Core-A 04:44

PBK

- Stirring The Hornet's Nest 04:24

Modelbau

- Minus One (digital release bonus track) (bonus)

Luer

- Facility

ONO

- Miss Rita/Popeye's Sister

Cephalic Index

- Hog Leg

Aaron Dilloway

- Possession Audition Tape 05:20

Fecalove

- Apex Masochist 04:44

Arvo Zylo & Chris Phinney

- Pervatim 2 (edit) 04:24

Gas Mask Horse

- Live On WZRD, Halloween 2019 (excerpt)

Little Fyodor

- Debut Ant

https://nopartofit.bandcamp.com/album/modus-vivendi-a-benefit-compilation-for-chris-phinney
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

nusjut

Thank you for the reminder. Tried to donate some money directly on www.gofundme.com/f/help-memphis-musician-father-amp-friend-chris but unfortunately this seems to be impossible at the moment ('Spendenannahme ausgesetzt'). Could somebody involved inform/help Molly Ann or fix this quickly otherwise?! ...damn: https://www.discogs.com/de/Mental-Anguish-Weed-B/release/15677838

NO PART OF IT

I'll talk to Chris.  I saw that someone commented where they couldn't pay because it said that their postal code for their billing address wasn't correct, and it was, but they were able to do it when they entered an incorrect/outdated postal code.   Thanks either way!  You can message me, and I can see if Chris is okay with me just giving you his paypal address if you want. 
A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

NO PART OF IT

Various Artists – Modus Vivendi: A Benefit Compilation for Chris Phinney  reviewed by Jerry Kranitz!  Thanks Jerry!

2020 has certainly been difficult for everyone but it's all been multiplied for Chris Phinney. The incident that prompted music citizen extraordinaire Arvo Zylo to organize this benefit compilation was Chris being hit by an uninsured driver late last year while walking across the street, leading to a string of surgeries and medical bills. I talk to Chris regularly and have insight into the challenges he has faced.

However, whether you know Chris or not doesn't have to matter, because this is a killer compilation of 19 experimental music and avant-psychedelic artists, including some impressive luminaries from the homemade music underground.

Among the heavyweights is the late great Minóy, with an eerily deep space excursion. Attrition contribute a beautifully somber piece from the spectral Gothic beyond. PBK (Phillip B. Klingler) creates noisy, edgy, droney, creepy space wave layers and pulses. Cephalic Index (Mike Jackson) conjures up a bit of good fun collage craftsmanship. Aaron Dilloway contributes a quirky and strangely but awesomely rhythmic sound construction. Arvo and Chris team up for a blend of noisy wind tunnel and disorienting pulsations. Little Fyodor delights with 30 seconds of wigged out organ grinder lunacy. And I'm tickled to see Plastic Crimewave included with a totally trippy guitar piece.

There are also lots of artists that are new to me. I won't step through all of them, but among the ones that got my attention was Content Nullity, who crank out some Goth infused noise-rock. Cool stuff, I'll have to check out more from them. Theater Of Ice's tune sounds like The Residents gone totally drugged psychedelic. Need to hear more from these folks too. risaripa brings to mind something along the lines of The Residents/Snakefinger's Satisfaction. Really freaked out, love it! Lots of interesting noise and spaced out artists too.

GREAT compilation, you can't go wrong, AND it's for a good cause! Purchase CD or download from the No Part Of It label Bandcamp site...

NO PART OF IT

Reviewed at Vital Weekly:

http://www.vitalweekly.net/1265.html

MODUS VIVENDI: A BENEFIT COMPILATION FOR CHRIS PHINNEY (CDR by No Part Of It)

When you read the title of this compilation you will either know who Chris Phinney is or not. Those of you who do know that Phinney has spent his life in the service of underground and experimental music. Phinney's Mental Anguish recordings, his Hard Reality label, and his involvement with 1980s cassette culture all helped push the genre and scene forward. If you don't know who Phinney is now you know the basics. So, go out there and explore his rich and diverse body of work, but before you do that, there is a slight matter at hand. This comp. The title is loosely translated to 'way of life'. Musically everything contained is a nob to Phinney's past. On another level, the title relates to Phinney's current situation and trying to prolong this way of life. In 2019 Phinney was involved in a car crash. It didn't go well, compounding previous injuries and putting him in a wheelchair and unable to work. All the proceeds of the album will go to Phinney. The album is made up of artists Phinney had either worked with or who wanted to get involved. Regardless of their connection to Phinney's work.
    'Grief' but Content Nullity just gets right in your face from the start. It's a massive sounding piece of music effectively built around a simple melodic loop. On top of this is layers of distorted, feedback and flotsam and jetsam of noise to create a twitchy, caustic track that sounds punishing no matter how loud, or quiet, you play it. There is a savage beauty to it. It reminds me of going out as a teenager and being terrified and in awe of just massive people on nights out. They were going about their business without a care in the world but also knew that at any moment they could instantly change the mood of the room. This is how 'Greif' feels. It also works well as a piece about, well, grief. Throughout the track, you have a numbed feeling in your stomach, and nothing can shift it until it finishes. It also taps into the overall theme of the album. When Phinney got into his accident he was just divorced and had recently lost his mother. All this comes pouring out of the track. It sets up the comp in the best possible way.

'The Pillar I (For Ossington)' but Attrition opens with haunting strings while gentle maelstroms of drones, field recordings and female vocals. It is unsettling but captivating. As it progresses everything around you feel like it is frozen in amber or is trying to spring through molasses. While not a great deal happens, everything that does it epic and flawless. There is something about 'The Pillar I (For Ossington)' that I may never fully recover from but am glad that I experienced it. To call it the standout moment on the album belittles the other tracks, but nothing else on 'Modus Vivendi' hits these highs quite so well.

Overall, the album works well. As with every comp, there are a few tracks that don't quite take your fancy. 'Bethlehem' by Dieter Müh doesn't quite work as well with the other tracks as I'd have hoped. There is nothing that wrong with 'Bethlehem' but after Attrition, I was in the mood for something a bit quicker and abrasive. That said 'Modus Vivendi' is a really fun listen full of inventive ideas and brutalist soundscapes. Music like this was Phinney's way of life, so its more than fitting that this music should be used to try and help him. And help him we should. Phinney has constantly delivered music that delights and horrifies in equal measure. Now it's our time to say thank you by helping when he needs help the most. (NR)
––– Address: https://nopartofit.bandcamp.com/

Soloman Tump

For some reason I never picked this compilation up - I shall remedy that soon.